Home General Discussion

How has the world changed ?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
repete polycounter lvl 6
Hello all

How do you feel / think in your own opinion that the world has changed over the last two decades ?

I don't mean how technology has empowered you to help with your 3d work, my point / question is based on "general change". I know of course inside 20 years your opinion has changed as you gain wisdom but has anything noticeable or striking made an impression on you personally ?

Dig as deep as you want :poly121:

Pete

Replies

• ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    well I was 6 20 years ago, but I remember as a kid borders were easier to cross into, and immigrating seemed easier you heard about it more with less headaches, the widespread use of the internet and wikipedia has for sure cut down on the hearsay bullshit that you used to hear a lot and take it on face value or not.

I do think society has in large become more isolated, money grubbing and vindictive, your neighbours are more likely to be your enemies if you know them at all these days then your friends.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    i was lifting up old carpets today in my new house and there was a newspaper form 1982 and my god things have changed, but even since 1995 when i got my first pc things have moved on.
    my first pc was a dotlink and was win 95 16 mb and 1gb of ram. it was pretty much a decent computer at the time.I must say I do prefer those old days at times.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Playing Ad&D every weekend with friends around a table, take out Pizza, Coke and great conversation...

vs.

Texting and sitting home alone with an online video game, frozen Pizza and coke....

"Fat, lazy and stupid is no way to go through Life, Young Man....."
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    Don't know about the world (though it doesn't seem to change that much, technology gets way cooler, Mars rover and stuff, but it doesn't really change everyday life. Cellphones? Ye, cool. Flying taxi to school? Not there yet.), but my perception has definitely changed drastically during last ~7 years (I am 26 now). When I was younger the world seemed to be not that violent place filled with hatred, fanatics, corrupt politicians and all that shit. Now I see the world as very grim and hostile place. Seeing humans and animals struggling and dying for nothing breaks my heart.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks ExcessiveZero

Age is not important but very relevant :D

You mention that people have become more isolated, do you think technology is at play in that regard or is it that people have become less open ?

Word up on the internet giving people the ability/ know-how to find out what is fact or fiction :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHxi-HSgNPc
    well I was 6 20 years ago, but I remember as a kid borders were easier to cross into, and immigrating seemed easier you heard about it more with less headaches, the widespread use of the internet and wikipedia has for sure cut down on the hearsay bullshit that you used to hear a lot and take it on face value or not.

I do think society has in large become more isolated, money grubbing and vindictive, your neighbours are more likely to be your enemies if you know them at all these days then your friends.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    Do you think you might not have been interested in it ?

or

you where just too busy being "happy" and young ?
    When I was younger the world seemed to be not that violent place filled with hatred, fanatics, corrupt politicians and all that shit
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    I honestly miss the simple contact I had with people. Friends past and present are more prevalent through email and "team speak", it blows to be honest.
    Playing Ad&D every weekend with friends around a table, take out Pizza, Coke and great conversation...
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete wrote: »
    Do you think you might not have been interested in it ?

or

you where just too busy being "happy" and young ?

I was never happy kid, but by some reason politics and all were out of my vision. Maybe as a kid I just didn't care about "big picture", it was something adults should take care off.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    You where a happy kid !!!

People in your environment made you unhappy, a child is not born unhappy unless it has some form of mental disability that it is aware of that makes it unhappy !!!

The big picture is propaganda, the most advanced form in human history.
    unit187 wrote: »
    I was never happy kid, but by some reason politics and all were out of my vision. Maybe as a kid I just didn't care about "big picture", it was something adults should take care off.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Remember pagers?
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You where a happy kid !!!

People in your environment made you unhappy, a child is not born unhappy unless it has some form of mental disability that it is aware of that makes it unhappy !!!

The big picture is propaganda, the most advanced form in human history.

Nah, I was often bullied. And even this way I didn't see the world the way it is.
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    The internet. I don't think we've even really begun to understand how much it's changed us, and that's besides its utility value.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I remember getting picked on a lot as a kid also. I just kept telling myself "If I work hard in school I'll end up successful and own a business!"

I was wrong, school doesn't mean shit.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    It seems as though more effort was put into communications and information more than anything. Hence why older movies never had an accurate depiction of the future because people of the time thought that we would focus more so on transportation.

-Ease of short-line and long distance communications with cellular phones and skype
    -More folks have access to computers
    -things are easily filed due to computers
    -artistic and visual advancements with 3D and vector graphics
    -The internet connected the world through cultural exchanges and things of that nature.
    -interesting medical advances with stem cell research and growing body parts in labs
    -better comprehension of the human genome
    -more rights and compassion for those with alternative lifestyles
    -easier transitioning from one gender to another

Am I missing something?
  • JamesArk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamesArk polycounter lvl 10
    valuemeal wrote: »
    It seems as though more effort was put into communications and information more than anything. Hence why older movies never had an accurate depiction of the future because people of the time thought that we would focus more so on transportation.

-Ease of short-line and long distance communications with cellular phones and skype
    -More folks have access to computers
    -things are easily filed due to computers
    -artistic and visual advancements with 3D and vector graphics
    -The internet connected the world through cultural exchanges and things of that nature.
    -interesting medical advances with stem cell research and growing body parts in labs
    -better comprehension of the human genome
    -more rights and compassion for those with alternative lifestyles
    -easier transitioning from one gender to another

Am I missing something?

Stuffed crust pizzas.
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    Hermit wrote: »
    Former Canadian Defense Minister claims extraterrestrials are real and some of them might really be working with our governments, etc.

The Maya peoples recently retrieve their old codices covering over 30,000 years of history and knowledge. They also had a meeting in 2008, if I'm correct, with many ancient tribes from all over the world and they all agreed that they originally were part of the same group and lived in Atlantis (30,000 years ago or more). Around that same time, Dalai Lama met with the Maya peoples as they feel that they are two sides of a same coin. The Maya people still remember how to talk with Mother Earth and affect weather while Tibetan Buddhists are all about the science of the mind. And their belief is that for us to evolve, we have to know where we came from, so as they are our ancestors... it's about time we unite together (ancient people + modern people) to move forward.

We are slowling discovering that global warning is a big joke and that it is actually part of a natural cycle.

The recent Big TOE of Phd Thomas Campbell claims that we live in a virtual reality. That would also explain what ancient people tried to tell us ''The world is an illusion'' ''The world is Maya''. That makes Occulus Rift almost absurd.

We are in 2014 and we still use gas, electricity and nuclear stations instead of free energy, because as big companies cannot put a meter on free energy to take our money every month, they have no interest in such positive free energy technologies. And if someone attempts to commercialize free energy, his government will knock at his door claiming that the person is trying to overthrow the economic system of his country.

With virtual realities and Occulus Rift, the Matrix never felt more real. And what if we find a way to make players forget that they even entered in a virtual world in the first place? What about hackers at that point?
    are you real
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    by the way, 3d printing, this thing is pure awesomeness and opens so many possibilities
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    I think the rise of China should get some mention here
  • Racer445
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Racer445 polycounter lvl 12
    Hermit wrote: »
    ''The world is Maya''.

that explains why the world is so awful and messed up... we forgot to delete our history.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Well, violence worldwide has steadily dropped but the internet has provided fast access to bad news giving everyone the false idea that it's on the rise.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I remember when you could buy a slice of Pizza for $2. Now it's $4.

Also, there where a lot more jobs positions. Even 2 years ago, I could apply to different places and at least get a response. Now a days, nobody is hiring.

The ones who are, there are 50 people attending the same job interview with you, fighting for the position of "dishwasher".
  • Cremuss
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    I feel like everything has become more "complicated". More rules, more laws, more troubles, every governments is trying to control as much as possible people's behavior, especially with the web.

Also I think fear has taken a large part in everybody's day life. Fear of danger, of the neighbors, of loosing a job, of being kicked out of a house... I don't think that was the case twenty years ago, people were more relaxed and maybe more friendly.

Not to mention the overall economical crisis which is, to me, not even a real one. I feel like we've been in a crisis since I was born but the difference is that it's now on everybody's lips and it's depressing.

Also I think people don't have faith in governments anymore and tends to think that only extreme ideas will solve things. I just have to look how far-right politicians are more and more popular here in France and how crazy it is to think that future is probably not that bright. But I may be wrong, who knows :)
  • Fuiosg
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    JordanN wrote: »
    I remember when you could buy a slice of Pizza for $2. Now it's $4.

Also, there where a lot more jobs positions. Even 2 years ago, I could apply to different places and at least get a response. Now a days, nobody is hiring.

The ones who are, there are 50 people attending the same job interview with you, fighting for the position of "dishwasher".

And yet you can buy a little ceaser's pizza for $5.

In the back of my mind, I think our economic system (globally) is on the verge of imploding. There's too much that doesn't make sense, too much is based on debt.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    This is the right time to live underground. If you're not ready, start digging.

[vv]88122560[/vv]
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Sucks that everyone's so scared, first thing I did when I moved into my neighborhood was to introduce myself to everyone on my block. I talk to my neighbor Chris over the fence like Tim did on home improvement. Everything is great in my life now, 20 years ago I was still adjusting to the fact that overseas manufacturing killed the family business, Frank Products.
  • repete
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    repete polycounter lvl 6
    People are nervous about each other, I can't get my head around it at all as I would talk to anyone:)

In Holland many people will just stare at you and say nothing (not talking about the larger cities but I always say hello anyway, that's the Irish in me I guess. We do live in a scaremongering world with the "in your face" media and government propaganda.

Is this what we have evolved into over the last two decades ?

A bit sad in many ways.
    Sucks that everyone's so scared, first thing I did when I moved into my neighborhood was to introduce myself to everyone on my block. I talk to my neighbor Chris over the fence like Tim did on home improvement. Everything is great in my life now, 20 years ago I was still adjusting to the fact that overseas manufacturing killed the family business, Frank Products.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks ExcessiveZero

Age is not important but very relevant :D

You mention that people have become more isolated, do you think technology is at play in that regard or is it that people have become less open ?

Word up on the internet giving people the ability/ know-how to find out what is fact or fiction :thumbup:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHxi-HSgNPc

Very interesting question, and I don't think people have become more isolated because of technology per se, in-fact technology keeps me close with my best friend who is 2 countries over from me, I think theres not one factor but numerous.

like people move about and rent properties more and there's less people setting roots with their family, when it comes to technology you have greater control of your social circle as I don't need to make a new friend to hang out with just because my bestie moved 2 countries over we can play counterstrike, then theres the culture of fear that's been perpetuated through the media, where everyone is a pedophile, rapist, serial killer or terrorist, so people are often afraid of getting to know people they don't know.

same goes for letting children play outside on their own, I remember there was an age when that was acceptable for myself now if I saw a child the age I was around my neighbourhood I would think, "where is the parent" so I think thats just further socially isolating children from a younger age, and these pre planned play dates only help further that social circle control I spoke of earlier.