Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Need portfolio critique!

jaysonmtl
polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
jaysonmtl polycounter lvl 10
portfolio: http://jasonkibbe.wix.com/character-artist

Im currently in my final year of a 3D animation and design bachelors and started a first version of my portfolio and need some critiques on my models/presentation.

For the soldier I intend to add some props (knife,handgun and rifle maybe a gas mask) as well as a pose with a simple skin/rig

In terms of characters I will add maybe 1 or 2 cartoony/styleised characters during this summer and my final project character later on.

but for now id like some crits on my current models and things to add change or remove.

thanks!!

Replies

• Kimon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    I would remove that fade everyime you switch picture / page. Get's extremely annoying.
    Also, that kind of image viewer is a big no no, for me anyways. Just make them open like full res normal images that you can right-click and save without problems.

You should also add your name and portfolio url to the images them selves.
    A lot of people in the industry saves pictures they think look cool all the time, and after a few days/weeks when they may be looking through their image folders, there's no way in hell they will remember who made it.

Keep it up! :)
  • jaysonmtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thxs for the tips Kimon, thats a great idea to put a signature on the images!
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    O M G. Please get rid of the lightbox. It takes forever to load a pic. And like Kimon said, it prevents viewers from saving images. With that said, put your name and website on every picture. If what you want is to be a character artists, show UV maps and the texture sheets. Your beauty shot should be posed as well. Or better yet, show how your characters look like inside a game engine. I'm going to say, JPG file should be fine. It loads way faster than PNG.
    It also doesn't hurt to let them know the City/Town you live in.
  • jaysonmtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh boy you guys are right I really gotta take care of the lightbox! They are in marmoset, i guess i should put the marmoset watermark

turns out i cant do that sort of gallery with wix!
    Im gonna go with another website, might try out wordpress, is it any good?
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Yeah i would remove that fading aswell. Loading pics takes a bit too long for my taste at least.

Also, this is just my personal opinion, but i do think for portfolio, it is best to not use completly white background, i think images stand out much better if it has a tad darker background. Especially if you have darker image, the white background kinda drags too much attention. Might be just me though.

Otherwise, nice work!

Also, while at it, can i ask, if you use someone's concept art as to make 3d scene or character even, is it enough to mention who's concept it is and put link to his work, or do you need to ask for permission author? What is the usual rule in such cases?
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jaysonmtl Gotta say I'm a fan of wordpress. Though I have seen it nicely done before. Just make it a website and not a blog.

@Zocky As someone who is running the Character Challenge every month, it's my duty to get artist's permission before running it. It is more professional that way. I mean, as a hobby, there's nothing wrong against picking up a pencil and start drawing a fan art of an awesome character. But as a professional, it's more acknowledging to contact the artist first. I like to think of this industry that ppl helping each other. (just like cosplayers and photographers. They share each other images and fan-base, and they help each other out.) Illustrators are THRILLED to get to see their masterpiece gets turned into 3D (if it turns out good, lol!) And they will remember you. Tada! Networking at its finest!!! Though I suppose sometimes they draw concept art for certain project/clients and maybe it's not entirely their decision on what can be done with those concept.

Note: Though I wouldn't really ask for permission on something really big. Like, if I am to make Sylvanas Windrunner, I'd just source Blizzard and start working on it. Unless it is someone else's alternate concept.
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    PyrZern,
    Tnx man for quick reply!

Hm, i don't really know if Alex (he's running these chalanges) asked for permission, but i did send the author email, guess it's always good to be atleast polite enough and ask. Hopefully he won't mind too much.

But, you are right, it can never hurt to get to know new people, even make friends maybe.

Just wanted to make sure i know how these things go.

Well, tnx again!
  • jaysonmtl
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thxs for the tips guys, zocky talked about concepts got me wondering, for a character artist is it better to create a character off of someones concept or to create your own character. Sice in the industry you usually make characters that come from the concept artist. Or maybe mix the 2
  • Zocky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zocky greentooth
    Well, personally, i think it's good to have example of both. I guess it's important for future employee that he knows you can translate 2d into 3d, and how you can add your own touch to it, and that you can also make your own concept too for character, showing off you can have some neat idea and realizing it.

Not sure how industry veteran sees this, but i think it would be best to have atleast some example of both.

Since as you said, atlest in some cases, you are going to get reference to start with.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @jaysonmtl I remember reading a blog by someone on DeviantArt about original content and making fan-art. And I agree with it. I can't find it now, but I remember some of it. He was kinda freelance/commission kind of thing though.

He said that when you're no one, and still improving your craft, it's better to work on fan-arts. Reasons are as follow...
    1. You're crap. Don't design anything of your own. It would look crappy. Or at least not awesome.
    2. No one knows what you're making. They can't really help you with it.
    3. No one knows what to look for to find you or your work if you make original characters.

After you have gained skills to make kick ass stuff, you can make your own ass-kicking design. Hopefully by then you can make awesome stuff without relying so much on others' feedback. And you have enough fan-base to like your original characters.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    PyrZern wrote: »
    @jaysonmtl I remember reading a blog by someone on DeviantArt about original content and making fan-art. And I agree with it. I can't find it now, but I remember some of it. He was kinda freelance/commission kind of thing though.

He said that when you're no one, and still improving your craft, it's better to work on fan-arts. Reasons are as follow...

After you have gained skills to make kick ass stuff, you can make your own ass-kicking design. Hopefully by then you can make awesome stuff without relying so much on others' feedback. And you have enough fan-base to like your original characters.

You're not going to aquire the design skills to design cool stuff if you avoid doing it because it "will look crappy".

Its gonna look crappy until you practice it enough, then it looks good. If you always avoid it, its just another skill you will never have.

I think you need both. Designing is not usually a character artists job in a studio, usually you get a concept and translate that to 3d. Knowing how to do this is its own skill, and an important one.

As a freelancer, I have to design shit all the time, usually with nothing more than a crappy reference sketch done by a programmer, with a handful of realworld references, or a couple paragraphs of description.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ysalex Great points you've made there !