Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Dual Laser Turret

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Javibcln polycounter lvl 8
Hey guys! It has been a long time since I published anything around here, so here it is, my last personal project:

Torreta_Alta.16.jpg

Presentacion.jpg

Turret_GIF.gif

Thanks a lot for watching!

Replies

• DWalker
    For some reason, the turret screams "missile launcher" rather than "laser" to me. Part of it's cultural expectations; we've been conditioned to see lasers with long barrels - regardless of their appearance in real life - so we expect to see long barrels on our lasers.

If your budget can afford it, some thick cables would help.
  • Javibcln
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for your critique man! I think you are right about that missile launcher thing you said, but I really wanted to give it that kind of fat look. Cables sound good, but I think they would break the shape a little bit. Thanks for sharing your oppinion about it! Do you people think it could be a portfolio piece?
  • Dimfist
    Offline / Send Message
    Dimfist polycounter lvl 8
    The textures seem really clean, maybe give it some love. I like the cables idea. Lasers that would do any damage need a large power influx. I don't see lasers when I look at this but cabling would definitely put it in the right direction. If this is your best work that shows your skill level use it for portfolio
  • Shrike
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    agree with DWalker

You did the total rocket launcher archetype

Standing on round platform - Check
    30-45 degree angle facing the sky - check
    Dual arrangement - check
    Very bulky form without a lot of lenght - check
    Multiple holes on front that indicate rocket array - check
    Exhaust holes at the back - check

Theres really nothing that says laser about it.
    Targeting device ? Strange lenses of different size ?
    Cable and tech stuff ? Something that indicates light ?
    Laser warning decal sticker ?

A laser is something fragile, very compartmentalized and complicated tech, very unlike something like a cannon or rocket, thats just a brute massive thing that gets propelled out of a cylinder with an explosion, and thats what you need to convey.
  • Javibcln
    Offline / Send Message
    Allright guys, archetypes are archetypes, I agree with you, but arent you tired of seeing always the same shapes? Im just saying, I like to see variation in shapes. Yes, when you hear laser you imagine Fallout 3´s Plasma riffle kind of shaped stuff, nothing to argue about right there, but I really was seeking that fat cannon shape, maybe I should Call this cannon? Maybe I will. Anyways, I added those cables to the model, and gave textures a little bit more love and here is the result. Changed colours a bit too:

Presentacion.jpg

Does it look better?
  • Cheathem
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheathem polycounter lvl 6
    Really like the addition of the cables, definitely works for me. And i also like the new paint job. I feel like you could do something more with that metal floor that its sitting on though. Maybe if you could see through the floor more and see the rest of the cannon extended below, cables, glowing things, idk. Anyways, looks really cool, I would put it in my portfolio. I guess it depends on the quality of your other portfolio pieces though.
  • Javibcln
    Offline / Send Message
    @Cheathem thanks for the kind words! Feels good to know I´m in the right way!
  • Kimon
    Offline / Send Message
    Kimon polycounter lvl 6
    The new textures look awesome imo! Great job. And.. Couldn't it be a laser missile launcher? :)
  • mjeruzal
    Offline / Send Message
    mjeruzal polycounter lvl 5
    Simple detail changed everything :) Now it looks more like laser turret. If I were you, I would add some red/green/blue (depends on color of laser beam) glow between stripes on side (I hope you know what I mean) - I know it might looks trivially, but I think it'll eliminate doubts whether it is laser or missile turret.
  • Dubzski
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    Animate it spinning and shooting. lights flashing etc pretty pleeease =D.

It wouldn't be too hard at all and would look sick. You could also have some steam / smoke rising from it, sparks flying etc.

Could make a very interesting piece. Adds that wow factor.
  • mbischof
  • Javibcln
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! Thanks for taking the time to write on this, it makes me feel good! I animated the turret these days, and this is what I got. First time animating something, be nice :)

Turret_GIF.gif

Critique this as hard as you can please! Have fun!
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    fixed ur image link ;)

Turret_GIF.gif

Looking great btw! Perhaps it'd be cool to add some of those shells on the ground that it spat out :)
  • Javibcln
    Offline / Send Message
    @Rhoutermans Thanks man! Are images not displaying correctly?

Well my plan is to get as much feedback as possible today, and if you all think its OK, then I am going to render an HD video of it.Thanks again!
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
    hehe yea, image links are a bit different, not sure. Maybe you can add some breaks/pauzes in the animation for a couple frames, right now it looks really smooth if u know what I mean :) that could make the movement look more robot like, have it pause for a sec after it's done shooting for example.
  • Dethling
    Offline / Send Message
    Dethling polycounter lvl 11
    Adding some more subtle lights would help to identify it as laser turret.
    As mjeruzal suggested I would some dim lights to the "rips" at the side (not too much glow, we don't want a Blood Dragon Turret^^)
  • Javibcln
    Offline / Send Message
    I dont think I want the animation to be very robotic, I wanted it to look like a super advanced technology that processes information really fast, so that pauses you are talking about are not exactly what Im looking for, dont you think?
    I really dont understand what you mean by lights at the sides of the object... Can you explain it to me really quick? Maybe a paintover or something could help a lot :)
  • Gmanx
    Offline / Send Message
    Gmanx polycounter lvl 19
    Looking good - though logically you wouldn't get a recoil with a laser. I can imagine a laser getting quite warm, so evidence of a cooling system or big finned heat-sinks would look great.
  • Bobby J Rice 3rd
    This is what's currently in use by modern day military.

THEL-Beam-Director-Turret-1S.jpg

Star trek also took ques from the modern design.
    aaaaimage22.jpg
    USS_Kelvin_photon_torpedo_launchers.jpg
  • Javibcln
    Offline / Send Message
    @Crazyeyes thanks for the image refs! I didnt even knew they were using real laser cannons in the army, if thats what that is.

Thank you all guys for taking the time to give me that feedback, it really helped me improve my artistic vision. I am calling this piece finished, so I´m updating the images in the main post (the first one). This goes straight to my new portfolio. Have fun around guys!