Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[UE4] Old Mail Room

Hey guys! all time lurker, first time WIP thread maker!

I've always wanted to post a thread about my projects but I've never really had the courage! but that changes today. I've been working on this scene off and on the past week or so. There is no concept for this scene, just a bunch of images from all over the place, cobbled together into an idea I had. What you see is what I have so far...I've been really fighting with the design of it for the past few days and can't seem to get a grip on a few things.

One of them being the ceiling, I really like the arch design, adds a bit more interest to the room, but I feel like the supports are detracting from it.

The back wall is another. I don't know what to do with it material wise! I've been playing with the idea of it being brick, like an accent wall of sorts ( It would also be really fun to sculpt the brick out to fit the arch ) but it just hasn't been working. Plaster is another idea, and so is continuing that wallpaper across to it, maybe making the wallpaper peel downwards with the wall arching up to the ceiling?

The main idea of the scene is to be an old mail room that was torn up by a crazy guy trying to look for information. In the final scene I hope to have piles upon piles of news paper and letters along with large bundles of it as well. I wanted to throw in a wheel chair sitting in the light, or maybe an office desk that's torn out as well? Not sure about that, but it will come!

What do you guys think? I would love some feed back and criticism as well!

Aw9rGA.jpg
trjbTw.jpg
DYZtG1.jpg

Replies

• Temporal Drift
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Temporal Drift polycounter lvl 9
    Great first post Surfur! I'm kind of the same, been lurking for ages and also haven't started a thread yet.

I really like the scale of the room and the carpet folds are a great touch... Don't have any critz at the moment, just looking forward to more progress...
  • Anchang-Style
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Anchang-Style polycounter lvl 7
    How about rolling ladders as zou can see in archives that would make the presence of such high mail boxes more logical.
    Other than that like the look of the cabinet and the roof especiallz. Think about how zou could keep the look of the roof for the back wall. Because the transition seems a bit rough.
  • Surfur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    How about rolling ladders as zou can see in archives that would make the presence of such high mail boxes more logical.
    Other than that like the look of the cabinet and the roof especiallz. Think about how zou could keep the look of the roof for the back wall. Because the transition seems a bit rough.

Thanks for the feedback! Yes ladders would be awesome, and I could place the railing for them along the struts that are jetting from the wall.

I also did mess around a bit with the transition between the back wall and the ceiling. I do like this better, in terms of flow, but it's far to grandiose for such a simple room. Damn, just can't seem to find a good solution.

8sOfg.jpg
  • locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    Looks like you don't have a reflection actor, which is needed to support UE4's fancy reflection and material stuff. Not that I'm actually a fan of how they did such (stupid static only is stupid, then again so is there lightmapping solution) but it would really help with what looks like your diffuse only materials.

Good job otherwise!
  • Surfur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just got back from getting a freezy. When I was in the car, I had a really good idea pop up (I think). Turning the arch along the ceiling into a skylight of sorts and then turning that back wall into a wall full of mail boxes or something...

I'll have to play with it tomorrow.
  • Surfur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! It's been awhile. I'm preparing for a new job and I also had to rebuild the scene in the previous version of UE4 since the new shader compiler seems to be out of wack for me.

Really doesn't look like I got much done, but I spent the past day and a half working on a rain glass shader to simulate rain running down glass

72OzGr.jpg

Zzy6sD.jpg

As you can see, I took a different direction with it. I'm not sure what to put on that back wall now, maybe a line of metal mail boxes built into the wall. I'm thinking of adding pillars on either side of the stairs which would have nice orange glowing lights on them. I'd also like to add trees above the glass and maybe part of the glass is broken and rain is pouring into the room.
  • atomander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    atomander polycounter lvl 7
    This is looking cool, I would love to see what lighting decision you choose to go with. The new lighting you started is lending to a much creepier vibe, the first looked kinda warm and inviting.
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Yeah, the first one was very classy.

I really enjoyed it more and the composition was easier on the eyes because of the rhythm created by the beams.

Also having the window at the end allows for a stronger focal point to put an emphasis on some props that can tell a story.
  • Surfur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon wrote: »
    Yeah, the first one was very classy.

I really enjoyed it more and the composition was easier on the eyes because of the rhythm created by the beams.

Also having the window at the end allows for a stronger focal point to put an emphasis on some props that can tell a story.

Maybe I can get best of both worlds?

I really like the idea of rain along with lightning and leakage, it would add a bit more dynamics to the scene. But I do like the focal point I had previously which would be even more so if I added something ontop the stairs

pbv8sU.jpg

aJoEiC.jpg

The new light casting from the ceiling will look super awesome once I get the mail thing textured.
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    I actually like the very first image composition, but with a slightly wider window/door. The daylight does give it a relaxing feel though, so maybe it doesn't match the story too well? Maybe the contrast is good?
  • Surfur
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey guys! I spent Saturday finally texturing that mail, wall, thing... I've actually had that model laying around for a month now, so it was finally nice to actually get around to texturing it! I also decided to make a time lapse of the whole process. I always enjoy watching time lapse's of other people work, and I figured I'm finally comfortable enough with my work flow that I can make one without it being full of mistakes.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GhbN90UboY"]Mail Room Time Lapse - YouTube[/ame]

Ri0nUG.jpg
    KTPgkk.jpg

and here's an update with it in the scene
    2JeFPK.jpg

I'm going to add some kind of light source in the scene that is a nice warm glow, I haven't figured out what! but I'll get there.
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    This is looking really good!! It's a shame you lose the finger prints when you're further away, those turned out really good.

I can't quite place my finger on it but the light coming down seems like it's too sharp for something that came through windows that have that much distortion/grime(?) on them.

Thanks for sharing the time lapse! It was a fun watch.