Handpainted Church

Rhoutermans
polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Rhoutermans polycounter lvl 12
Latest:

UnityScreen11.jpg

UnityScreen12.jpg

Just working on getting this handpainted piece on my portfolio...been doing too much hardsurface lately, time for a little change of pace :)

Church.jpg

Working on the first wall texture...
StoneWall_Diffuse.jpg

Concept by Blizzard...
wowx5-artwork-019-full.jpg

Replies

• TalonHawkins
    Cool, I'll keep an eye on this one :)
  • Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    Nice start :)
    Maybe put some blueish colors in the shadows and yellow in the lights and some very subtle green/brown for some grass or dirt between the bricks ? Because it's really grey at the moment, but it's looking good though.

I think the UVs on the middle tower need to be mirrored. Your texture is facing downward.

Keep it up !

edit : also, looking at the concept, if you really want to stick to it, I think your wall texture should be more like flat cement with only a few bricks showing here and there. It will help to read the building too because otherwise maybe it's going to be too busy if you put bricks everywhere.
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss > Hahaha ur right that texture is upside down >< And I agree about the bricks cluttering the total building, I'll be working on a plaster texture as well

thanks for the feedback~
  • Jonas_Thomas
    Offline / Send Message
    Jonas_Thomas polycounter lvl 5
    I'm curious about the follow-up.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    Nice work so far. Very good choice too, I'm interested to see this develop.
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Got some more feedback, worked a bit on the brick wall...shadow colors, some more edge chipping...still looking not round enough overall tbh.
    Started a plaster texture for variation (WIP) and concrete texture...Thinking about doing some quick block outs for the rest as well before detailing every texture one by one.

Church2.jpg
    Church3.jpg
    WallPlaster.jpg

Thanks for the feedback so far, you guys are great :)
  • PhilipK
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilipK polycounter lvl 10
    that's a cool start. Something that would add more visual interest to the texture part IMO would be to vary up the bevels on the stones a lot more. Right now they're all the same width almost. It'd feel a lot more chipped and worn if some had tiny bevels and some really wide, some more size variation in the stones could be cool too!
  • Cremuss
    Offline / Send Message
    Cremuss polycounter lvl 12
    Cool !

I like the cement, it's so simple but it works great on the bricks and looks good on the church. It helps to read the whole building a lot.

One critic though : You have painted a very strong specularity on your bricks which gives to your texture almost a metallic look. I would darken the spec a bit and add some thin edge highlight instead to sharpen those bevels.

I wouldn't focus that much on one single texture right now though, I'd go on and sketch the others textures ASAP to see how the whole building would read to get a better idea of the work to do on each textures. But that's only my two cents :)

keep it up
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    PhilipK > Good call about the bevels and size variation, it's noted.
    Cremuss > Agreed about some of the top bevels being too bright, and I'm working more on other texture blockouts first before updating the wall again.

Here's a first color blockout with a blue roof, will try out some more color variations soon, still got some unwrapping to do ;

Church4.jpg

Roof.jpg

Thanks for the feedback :)
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Unwrapped most of the walls and beams, next up are the windows / clock and other small stuff :) Trying out a red roof as well.

Church5.jpg
    Church6.jpg

And a blockout texture for the Blocks planted everywhere on the model;
    BlocksBig.jpg
  • Di$array
    Offline / Send Message
    Di$array polycounter lvl 5
    This is looking terrific but I gotta say I prefer the blue tiles over the red. But that could be becasue I associate it with Warhammer. If you want to steer it away from that then red should work for you.
  • Elod.H
    Offline / Send Message
    Elod.H polycounter lvl 11
    Hey Rhoutermans!

I`m loving the work so far.. looking at the model really brings back that RPG feel. Looking forward to see how you progress.
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys :)

Blue it is! Did some more tweaking, did some of the windows and next up is the door and clock! Then extruding some of the roof tiles and finally starting on some final textures :)

Church7.jpg
  • felipealves
    Offline / Send Message
    felipealves polycounter lvl 10
    I just passed to let some cool references for you!

c25b346ea1be59200a63ad86f8a16d73.jpg

1067ae3f9a51ead7f5c3d11d428e0824.jpg

Take a tour here for more, cheers!

http://www.pinterest.com/felipealves3d/hand-painted-textures-artstudy/
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    felipealves > That's some awesome ref you collected there :) Love the roof texture, will try something like that damaged paint..

#zomgunityscreenshot:

Church8.jpg

STILL need to work on the churchbell texture...keep putting it off and have no idea why lol
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey all! Got some more texture painting done this weekend ;

25_5_Screen1.jpg
    25_5_Screen2.jpg

Some of the texture sheets;

Textures1.jpg

Any advice on the painting is appreciated, working on a new texturing style is hard and takes sooo much time starting over again and again (also due to some crashes -.- which is like unintentional iteration ..)

:) Cheers!
  • Torch
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Looking ace so far, could definitely see it in somewhere like Stormwind :)
  • Gannon
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Looking pretty good! I think you could stand to bring in a little more color on your textures to really breathe some life into them. World of warcraft tends to use a lot of Hue shifts when they define cavities. You could also try to bake in some color/gradient into the vertices also!

Good luck!
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys :)
    Gannon, Loved that Iron Horde mount you did :) I'll take a look at the cavities and the vertex color thingy, which I've never tried before so could be interesting.. Thanks for the comment!

Worked on the Church bell and the stairs during lunchbreak, some 3d max screenies;

27_5_01.jpg
    27_5_02.jpg
  • Crowdsmurf
    Offline / Send Message
    Crowdsmurf polycounter lvl 10
    looks cool, keeping an eye on this!
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    This project isn't dead yet! Practising my ground textures atm, planning on making this a little scene...Having some difficulties with the sand texture. How do you handle this, custom brushes?
    Planning to add some trees, painting grass geo, painting a skybox, small wooden fences, graveyard and other awesome stuff :)

UnityScreen1.jpg
    UnityScreen2.jpg
    Textures2.jpg
    Grass1.jpg
    Thanks for taking a look! :)
  • Gail_Blitzy
    Offline / Send Message
    Gail_Blitzy polycounter lvl 8
    A very interesting project and I really appreciate you putting your steps in - I shall be keeping an eye on this
  • ivanzu
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    Its kinda hard to make hand painted sand since cartoony textures rely on exaggeration which is hard to do on something like sand unless it's a wavy one.

Your grass shouldn't be facing only one direction.

You should try something like this.

hand_painted_sand_c.png?w=627

I like this one more.
    QUKyusc.png
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Offline / Send Message
    ScottHoneycutt polycounter lvl 13
    Good work. I agree that the grass seems very directional to the side. Granted I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with the space. :)

@felipealves: Excellent Pinterest board. Thanks for posting that.
  • SaboR1996
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    that grass direction is going all one direction and doesn't look natural, unless its a really windy day and its like 30 mph winds in that direction.
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    yes! Agreed about the grass lol :) Painted in some random grass blade directions...
    Also made a first...second attempt at the dirt texture, still very much WIP, but wanted to show I'm at least hearing ur feedback which is great so far :) Next up I'd like to polish the grass blades a bit more, same for the sand texture, I've quickly applied them to the terrain and it's starting to come together a bit more, liking this direction so I'm gonna focus on the environment work for now.

Grass2.jpg

Thanks for taking a look! I'll be blocking out the rest of the environment later tonight!
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Been working on the terrain a bit..still need to add a lot :) Can't wait to get some work done on the trees and skybox! Unity Screenshot : Church9.jpg
  • corykanakis2
    Missing a background, but otherwise, simply amazing how you went through the production line. I like your drafting skills, you're lucky to have them. Do you earn more money with those skills?
  • pixelpatron
    Online / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    This is looking great, but it really bugs me to see stretched nails on the wood pieces. If it's meant to keep under a budget for a device so be it.....but if this is a portfolio piece, heck go for it make each board custom and keep the aspect ratio.
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Corykanakis2 > Thanks! I'm still a bit of a newb with this whole handpainted thing, but I think you can learn new things quite fast and there's tons of ref! I think having more skills will always land you a (better?) job. I think doing exactly what you like is still worth more than just 'making more money'...But maybe that's just a luxury.

pixelpatron > Noted, and yes it's a portfolio piece ;) I do have some space left on one of my sheets, will use that for two more proper wood/nail pieces!
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Painted some leafs!

UnityScreen3.jpg

Leafs1.jpg

I've got a list of things I wanna fix / add, but more is always welcome! :) Thanks the feedback so far guys, much appreciated!
  • ivanzu
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes! Thanks for the link, I've been wanting to look that up :)
    Here's an update on the tree...Wanna do something about that grass next, make it blend better with the terrain. Here's a screen with better plane placement and fixed normals!

UnityScreen4.jpg

Cheers :)
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    UnityScreen5.jpg

Still having some difficulty with the leaf-planes/mesh, probably a bad ref box for normal thief..still learning..

Flowers1.jpg

And still some room left for some random flowers/plants. Still planning on redoing some things and make em look better! Must.make.look.better. Thanks for taking a look!
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Offline / Send Message
    Flowers1.jpg

And still some room left for some random flowers/plants. Still planning on redoing some things and make em look better! Must.make.look.better. Thanks for taking a look!

The only thing I would mention at this point would about the soft brown brush strokes in the middle of the flower peddles. From the render you posted, the flowers look fine other than I find those darks markings to be a distraction.
  • Semeru
    Offline / Send Message
    Semeru polycounter lvl 4
    http://mixescript.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/foliage-models-often-require-edited.html

here's a script my friend made that makes the splaying of the normals for your trees nice and easy. Really liking it so far, makes me want to try out stylized modelling now, keep at it!
  • Fenyce
    Offline / Send Message
    Fenyce polycounter lvl 11
    Coming along nicely! You should add a skybox next =)
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    I think you're getting a bit focused on the minutia of rendering the textures and less focused on the overall idea here. The lighting is very flat. You seem to be focused on a center point being the church. Pull the viewer there. Darken the foreground, give the sky a gradient (even paint in some swirly clouds that kinda pull in to that position), and overall just make that the focal point. I did a paint over sort of demonstrating how you can pull the viewer there pretty fast.

jeffparrott_Rhoutermans_PO01.gif

The main thing though is this just looks like a church in a field to me. Give it a story. Take this screenshot, make a layer and scribble out some ideas. Is this post battle, pillaged and destroyed church? Is this famine infested lands church? etc etc. Just keep doodling out ideas on new layers. Then show those doodles to people around you that have no connection to game art (the Mom test). Can they figure out what's happening in the scene? Make sure that it works on multiple levels and comes across in some way, shape or form to the viewer.

Hope it helps. Looking cool. You need to just take it to the next level
  • David-J
    Offline / Send Message
    David-J polycounter lvl 11
    it is looking awesome. Really good advice overall.

think about big picture things now. Add maybe some more man made things, signs, lamp posts, etc. Also add more mid size plants and some variety in the flora and populate it with some intent.

overall it's looking great.
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    I think it would be cool if you simply changed the perspective of render you seem to have in mind. What I mean is, if it wasn't thru first person perspective and the camera was raised a bit. Mainly, I would like to see the church framed better in the image, instead of off in the distance because it doesn't highlight the church itself.
    I think j fletcher did a really good job with this here: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98160
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the awesome feedback guys, I got some of em in there tonight, and I'm gonna reply properly when I get the rest implemented. For now I have changed the camera angle, added some placeholder support for the hill, used the script of Semuru's friend and changed the lighting to focus more on the church as Jeff suggested. Also just added a gradient skybox placeholder, defo gonna need a different color... I'm gonna implement the rest too and push it to the next level :)

UnityScreen6.jpg
  • BradMyers82
    Offline / Send Message
    BradMyers82 interpolator
    dude, this looks so much better already! Keep going! :D
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    updated a lot of little things...next big thing I need to tackle are the clouds...another first, that's gonna be interesting :)

UnityScreen7.jpg
  • ScottHoneycutt
    Offline / Send Message
    much better, yes
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    OMG. Yessssss!
  • Gubble
    Offline / Send Message
    Gubble polycounter lvl 5
    Love the style! ^.^ Keep it up!
  • Add3r
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    This is getting awesome. Next step I think is creating some damage, edge wear, and transitional decal/alpha planes to break up the clear tiling. You can have a crack, some dirt, etc on an alpha plane and fit it to the building or even use foliage or whatever to break up the corners. and where the building intersects with the ground. Think that would bring this to a whole new level. Nice work so far man.
  • Deathstick
    Offline / Send Message
    Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
    It looks great!

The only thing that slightly bothers me though is the stone wall material of the church (not non-modeled ones) come off as just a touch too flat compared to the rest of the building. And really this is a very picky observation, I love the whole piece.

It could be that maybe the diffuse for the shadowing is too light although your textures look great so I think it's more of a material problem.

Are you using specular maps as well? I believe that may help with breaking up the flatness of lighting across the bricks and their respective cracks. That or maybe a slight increase on contrast in the diffuse. (although I wouldn't make it black, just a slightly lower value and a slight increase in saturation)
  • NorbertR
    Looks great, very interesting style.
  • Rhoutermans
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the replies :) Some great stuff in there, will take it with me into the next polishing phase!

Did some work on the skybox, textured the support thingies, also added a lantern and other small stuff.

UnityScreen8.jpg

Tree1.jpg

Skybox1.jpg

Next step I'll work on blending the church with the terrain a bit, and perhaps also some damage! Cheers! :)