Home General Discussion

Loss of Motivation in a Professional Environment

polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
Autocon polycounter lvl 15
A subject I have been curious about for a while is how do Professionals deal with any sort of loss of motivation in the work place? I see a ton of "Loss of Motivation/How to Motivate Yourself" threads, but its always from or for students, people trying to break into the industry or people trying to do 3d in there free time. But I am curious as to what do PROFESSIONALS do to keep themselves motivated throughout the years or during a difficult time at work. IE: Full time studio and full time freelance artists.

Advice given to people trying to break into the industry doesn't apply to professionals/freelancers for the most part. The majority of advice in those threads is all about just keep pushing yourself till one day you break in and nail that job. How you need to just work on projects and fail to get better. Or that if you are struggling on a project maybe try a different subject matter for a while and then return with fresh eyes.

The problem is I don't feel this can be done in a professional environment. You cant just work on something else and "get away" from what your working on as its your job and your being paid for it. You are for the most part, stuck in a sense. You are not struggling to get into the industry as you are already in it but for any number of reasons, could lose the desire to work on a given project you once had.

There are a ton of reasons people can lose motivation/desire to work on there current project at work...
  • Extended crunch.
  • Levels being cut.
  • Change in direction of project.
  • Constant client changes.
  • Clients not paying on time.
  • No clear direction of the project.
  • Turnover of personnel.
  • Miss-management of leadership.
  • Inexperienced people you are the lead of.
  • Projects being terminated.
  • A project you are just uninterested in.
  • Art style.
  • Coworker issues.

Its not all sunshine and rainbows once you get into the industry, there are a lot of issues you have to deal with. And not all of these things a permanent problems, sometimes they can be issues you are dealing with for a couple of months but know sooner or later they will be fixed. But there still issues you have to deal with.

So I am curious what do other professional full time studio employees and professional freelance artists do when there level gets cut after months of work and you feel like you wasted all your time, or when your client chooses the lamest iteration of the characters you were creating and you are super disinterested in what you have to change, or your entire project is being restarted from the ground up and you know you can never share the work you have done.

What do you do when you lose motivation/desire to work on your current project and how do you rebound from that to get excited again?

-Anthony

Replies

• Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkKdZTPctU0"]The Fan 1996 : Struggling Baseball Star " Just Stops Caring " His Way Out of Slump - YouTube[/ame]

That's a bit extreme. But you just have to go with the flow. Be flexible, remember it's a gig. There are a lot worse things you could be doing.
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    For me, it's trying to have one foot outside the comfort zone. Not so much as diving into the deep end, because then failure can almost be a guarantee..

More of a measured step away from what's easy. ... Then keep walking, i suppose
  • d1ver
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    d1ver polycounter lvl 14
    Hey there Anthony,
    I think, in a studio environment especially, communication trumps everything(apart from one thing but I'll mention it later). If you're not fulfilled - get a room with your supervisor and speak up. It's their direct responsibility to try and help you. Nobody want to see you underperforming or depressed. If you're an asset to the company they'll try to be accommodating and maybe put you on a different task to recharge your batteries. Like a stab at tech art or concept art or characters - whatever you show aptitude or interest for.
    Or they'll lay down a road map for you so you know where you're going with all this work career wise - that can be motivating for some.
    If you can't see anything that you could do inside your studio that would be motivating then it might be time to consider trying something else.

Unlike being an amateur - if you're doing a good job in a field you're passionate about and you still feel down then it's probably the employers fault at this point.

And the one thing sometimes that you can't help is working with assholes. I wish I was kidding but I' not :) The most brilliant phrase I took away from this GDC was "nothing trumps an asshole". If you speak up about a person being difficult to work with or driving the project into the ground and no one listens to you then it's probably time to start brushing the dust off your portfolio.

That is unfortunate but us as artists don't really have that much control over the environments we're in apart from choosing a new environment if we dissatisfied with the old one.

But I would definitely try and talk to as much people as possible at the company, because just knowing that everyone else, especially "management", sees the problems you see and will try to make sure they don't happen again, can be enough to reignite your faith in what you're doing there.

At the end of the day it also helps to remember that it's just a "job" no matter how much we're invested into it. Getting some distance and not giving your 150% every day for a while might also be an option.

I hope this is at least tiny bit helpful. just my 2 cents.

cheers :)
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    I found that switching from huge multi-year projects to smaller one year games really helped me stay motivated project to project. Before I start getting burned out and lose my motivation the project is done and on to the next one. My drive has been much higher and more consistent.

Great thread topic! It's not uncommon for people to abandoned the games industry because their motivation is gone. It's also not something a lot of people talk about while working. Don't want others to get the impression you have lost your passion.
  • praetus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetus interpolator
    I typically do two things to stay motivated on work. If I notice I'm bored or struggling with a project I'll see if there is anything on our queue I can throw some hours at to mix it up. If I'm working on modeling a building are there any tiling textures I can knock out? Maybe a prop or two? Just shifting gears for two hours and working on something else on the queue can be enough to clear my mind. After all it's all work that needs to be done.

The other ting I do is work on personal art during my lunch break (my job allows this although some places may not be, maybe?) as well as at night at home. I typically work on realistic milsim stuff at work but I really love fantasy art. So, at home I'll work on ZBrush stuff for Dota2, hand paint textures, make some WoW fan art, etc. It keeps my mind fresh and I'll usually learn cool stuff I can apply at work.
  • Aga22
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    when i start complaining i think of all the other shitty jobs i could be doing. flipping burgers, working in construction, wacking baby seals....

be grateful for what you got, and for the talent and the mind that you have, that permits you to do a "fun" job.

if your job is too demanding , making you work instead of live, look for something more laid back. i left TV and commercials behind me, worked in the multimedia dept of shipping companies and construction companies making presentations and product design and never looked back.
  • monkeyboy_garth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    monkeyboy_garth polycounter lvl 9
    I found myself competely lacking motivation at the last company I was at for several reasons. The game we were making wasn't my cup of tea, the pay wasn't great, no holiday pay, sickleave, superannuation etc, and the commute was long. The problem for me at that time was that my wife was on maternity leave and I needed the money. I was out of there as soon as she returned to work.

Also, I laughed my arse off when I found out that the game I worked on, "Band Stars" was rebranded recently to "Band Stars GLEE"...AFTER release. Just weird.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't get emotionally married to things you're working on. It's a game. Whatever you're working on may very easily get replaced, tweaked by another artist, or cut entirely from the game.

Learn to enjoy the process and the moment to moment of your job. As someone said above, it's about perspective - there are LOTS of worse jobs out there and LOTS of worse things that could happen to you than your company decided not to use your prop.
  • thomasp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thomasp hero character
    WarrenM wrote: »
    Don't get emotionally married to things you're working on. It's a game. Whatever you're working on may very easily get replaced, tweaked by another artist, or cut entirely from the game.

Learn to enjoy the process and the moment to moment of your job. As someone said above, it's about perspective - there are LOTS of worse jobs out there and LOTS of worse things that could happen to you than your company decided not to use your prop.

plenty of the reasons listed above however point to the workplace being the issue, not so much the game. if you have issues with the inside workings of the studio or you yourself are being dragged into some mess as part of management duties you may have then retreating to just-making-art is not going to help.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    There are a ton of reasons people can lose motivation/desire to work on there current project at work...
    Extended crunch.
    Levels being cut.
    Change in direction of project.
    Constant client changes.
    Clients not paying on time.
    No clear direction of the project.
    Turnover of personnel.
    Miss-management of leadership.
    Inexperienced people you are the lead of.
    Projects being terminated.
    A project you are just uninterested in.
    Art style.
    Coworker issues.

what is sad is that this has become known as a "professional" Environment when objectively miss management poor direction, termination and inexperience is anything but.

I think it can be easy to lose motivation in a unprofessional professional environment.

this sort of a job just put in the hours while you look for another.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    It's varied by what I've been doing. At Sony Bend, I think the solution during crunch was to drink Rum Jobs (Kraken/Morgan and Orange Crush) or beer a few days a week after 5. Helped out when working a 12 hour day...but seriously, motivation didn't really wane when I was working there.

At Turbine, I had multiple bouts of motivation issues. First, it's the "I could be flipping burgers" mentality. Next was trying to really take ownership of certain aspects of asset creation as best as I could. Sometimes that helped, sometimes I had too much invested and critiques hurt my dumb little self. I acknowledge that was my bad. In the end I just settled into a sort of state where I was more tranquil and that helped the most for the last two months I was there.

Freelance is easy-Oh Shit I need money! But seriously, I like to think I'm trying to build a business, and that really gets a fire under my ass and pushes me to build and be better. And on occasion I'll partake in some beer or scotch. I have 2 jobs at the moment.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Also, that video Jeff posted. Think it's actually some pretty good advice. Caring too much about about being the best and sticking to your exact plan can be poison to people. It almost took me down in January/February. But if you just stop caring, work to be your best, and don't try to fight life so much you can be so much happier.

Doesn't mean to stop working and busting ass though!
  • glottis8
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    glottis8 polycounter lvl 9
    Its an interesting thread. I have been thinking a lot of what it takes to motivate people. I guess working hard and showing attention and things coming together is a big boost of confidence and satisfaction individually but also as a team.

But as things have been said here, if you have bad management or that someone that is just an asshole then you are gonna face a rock wall at some point.

Creativity as a form of motivation will only take you so far imo. Just like you can't be creative 100% of the time all the time haha. So just letting things roll for a moment. Maybe take a few days to take it easy and focus your attention to things you regularly don't pay attention to. I am a big believer of leaving work at work. Enjoy the family, go out for walks, enjoy nature, go eat some icecream. I mean, life is more than just work and sometimes as a workaholic its hard for me to detach myself from the troubles of work. I guess thats why its nice to have a partner you look forward to see after work, or plan things to do, or one that reminds you that you need to enjoy the things outside your work schedule. Go on trips, go on an adventure. Always read a good book... talk to people, visit family.. i mean.. the list is never ending.

As far as the whole its a gig, "you could be flipping burgers" attitude, i think this is coming from a very muddy perspective. i think its important for people to just express their feelings. I find this forum shares some of those feelings, and people can resonate and give advice or just a shoulder to lean on, and thats what is all about. A community where you feel important and welcome. If we all think of work as... meh.. its just the job... then where does the passion go? where does our growth as artists end? We'll end up as a cog making door knobs and generic art and get complacent. Ugh.. there is nothing worse than being complacent or complacent people at work, and i just think that "hey be grateful you are not cleaning bathrooms" is good enough for us to get over a slump or get motivated. At the end of the day.. comparing oneself to others is not a permanent solution.. i mean.. there are people that enjoy their jobs just as much as we do, and it would be pretty sad to hear.. hey! at least you are not an artist at a game studio. So why promote that way of thinking?

Some really good advice up there on communication. As a lead i try to be close to people and have them share their thoughts, or ideas. Then promote those ideas or try to pass on tasks that align to that. Having a road map or very specific goals i think makes a big difference. Like it was mentioned... if you do all you can, and at the end you keep running into the same wall driven by bad coordinators and production. Then it is time to move on, and there is no shame in that. You gotta look out for yourself first, and just be a role model through your work ethics and communication skills.

As far as motivation goes... i still yet to find a good way to motivate people directly. Passively... just doing the best i can and involving people in the pipeline does a good job.

just my very disorganized thoughts on the matter.
  • Goeddy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy greentooth
    the obvious option to me would be to take a vacation.
  • ames549
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Goeddy wrote: »
    the obvious option to me would be to take a vacation.

I agree with this, not just because it sounds like you need one but it can also give you a little perspective. Take a break and get away from it all. If you still feel the same after your break then I'd think about looking for new jobs.
  • PixelMasher
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    take a vacation, look for a new job/project/country to work.

I find even if im working on a huge AAA franchise that I know is going to get 8-9's reviews after working on the same project for a year + you get in the monotony groove, the first few months im always motivated and inspired, but once the long haul kicks in I usually get a lil negative and just want to ship the game.

I think its natural to have cycles of motivation towards things in life you are passionate about, I fluctuate between being passionate about my day job at ubisoft and my night life as a DJ/Music producer. taking time from one to focus on the other more intensly usually means when you go back to it you are refreshed and feeling a bit more positive and motivated towards it.

I also found in the last couple years since I essentially started to refuse to do unpaid overtime or overtime at all, my life has improved. I do my 8 hours of work mon-fri and the rest of my time is mine, which means I can focus on other aspects of my lifestyle than constantly thinking about work. working crunch and 12 hour days does nothing other than burn you out.

also sometimes you just get tired of something you used to be passionate about, and if you have gotten all the fullfillment out it you need, look for something else to be passionate about IE: a career change

Then again sometimes it just comes down to shutting the fuck up, buckling down and hammering it out to the bitter end ;)
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    I think sometimes you just need a change of scenery too... Not just a vacation, but a change of studio. A change of job (within the industry) can be very beneficial to your health, I think. It gets you out of your comfort zone and gets you doing something new.

But most of these threads are always about what to do when you lose motivation. How about steps to prevent it? I think a big one, at least for me, is never staying late on a Friday. Even during crunch. Even if you`re coming on on Saturday or Sunday, Something about leaving at 5 / 6 on a Friday just helps keeps keep it all together. Which, I guess could be counter productive if you`ve already lost that motivation, cause its more like F this, im out. But ya, finishing up and going for a beer with some buddies / coworkers. Definitely a good thing for mental health.

And don't force yourself to stay late if you`re just not feeling it that day. There really is no shame in having days were you aren't focused. It happens to everyone. Its best to just go home at a normal time and refresh a bit that night. I know I've been working a LOT lately, staying late most days. But you gotta cut yourself some slack too. If it gets past 6 and I notice im spending more time on the internet than working, Or watching that video I have on my second screen more than I normally would (usually its just to listen to), I pack it up and go home.

If the project you`re on just isnt your cup of tea, do something at home you actually want to do. Something of your own design. Something that will push your skills and really get your creative juices going again.

But ya, I think you lose your motivation to the point you dont want to go into work, it's time to look for a new place to work.
  • Elynole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    **Disclaimer - I'm not a professional artist, my professional career has been in healthcare technology - I'm not sure how a professional art studio works, but I can suspect that it works quite a bit like a professional software development team.***

For the first 4 years of my career I worked at a large, Fortune 200 company. It was massive, our IT department alone was something like 800+ people. Coming into the company, I knew nothing about healthcare - I had always been a generalist in the technology field. As I learned more and more about the industry, it slowly consumed me and became my passion. At my peak, I was spending around 14-16 hours a day working/studying the industry. To the point that I surpassed both my colleagues and mentors - quickly becoming the "goto" guy for anything related to healthcare technology within the company. I sat on a board with 7 other individuals who were considered some of the best in the industry, and all we did was take orders from senior management on creating resolutions for the most critical issues in the company.

It was great at first, I'd wake up around 6:30am and not go to bed until 1am or so - constantly getting praised by the VP's, my CIO, and my colleagues for solving the most difficult problems in the company, or developing patches and plugins for industry standard software that the software companies themselves started integrating and packaging in their multi-million dollar software packages(healthcare is an expensive field). Always working, always.

After 4 years of doing this non-stop, I was burnt out. I had no desire to come into work. The simplest request from management seemed meaningless and monotonous. I was pissed all the time, I constantly got into stupid arguments with my girlfriend - had no desire to do much of anything. Something that I had so much passion for to begin with, became a drag to even think about - I needed change.

I decided that the problem was the company. It was too big, too much work, too dictator-ish, too many management problems - I blamed everything that I could think of. So I found a better job, at a better pay rate, with a better company - and started all over.

My new company was great. Bonuses per quarter, large Christmas bonuses, great benefits, set my own hours, 2-hour lunches, my own awesomely fashioned office, tons of continuing education money budgeted, I was in heaven. I went into the company as a one man team, the company decided to start a new department and I was going to be the pet project to see how the department would fair.

6 months down the line I had done it again. I was working constantly, constantly worried about deadlines, pushing myself to the limit by managing over 70+ projects at once - pumping out code like a damn machine. I again, found myself pissed off, demotivated to come into work, stressed all the time, etc. - What was wrong with me? I was at a dream company with a dream job? If I didn't want to work the last 4 hours of the day, I didn't have to and no one would say anything because I was my own boss. I could drive halfway across town and eat at a place of my choosing without having to worry about rushing back to work. I could work from home, or on the weekends, or whenever I wanted - as long as the work got done.

I decided that the company was the problem. I started blaming board level members for all the problems in the company. Started blaming clients and colleagues. Pissed by the time I got home.

It then occurred to me that I needed to stop blaming others and take control of my life - I was a promising employee with a great career ahead of me, but not if I continued to act the way I did. My first plan of action was to work from 8am - 5pm Monday thru Friday. I was done working at 2am in the morning on Sunday, I was done working 80 hours a week. I needed a proper work/life balance.

My next plan of action was to petition for more help in my department - I was a one-man show, so I began reporting metrics to our senior authority. Within a few months I was budgeted with 3 new positions open with my discretion as to who to hire.

I started forming a team, with an emphasis on 8am - 5pm Monday thru Friday and nothing else. I didn't want myself or my team to take work home, it wasn't healthy for them or their families. Additionally, I decided that work was going to stay work. I wasn't going to think of healthcare at all unless I was at work.

I finally had control of my life, and a proper work/life balance. Instead of me going home and studying my career for another 8 hours after work, I took the 8 hours at work and put my passion into it.

Not only did I find that when I woke up in the morning, that I was excited to go into work - but that my passion had returned and that I was actually more productive in my new 40 hour work week then I was in my 80 hour work week.

So, my advice is - find a hobby that's outside of your job. Mine include LEGO, Cooking, and now 3D Art. I'm excited to come home and cook for my family, or tear open a new LEGO set to build with my children, or get on here and look at all the cool stuff you guys design. I'm also excited about my work because I don't let it consume me anymore. That's important, my decompression time is no longer in parallel with my work and honestly that's made all the difference for me.

A year and a half later and I'm the happiest I've ever been. 3D Art, Cooking and LEGO are my decompression hobbies. Healthcare Technology is my work. I don't let either get into the way of each other. I come home, I kiss my girlfriend, I play with my kids, and I have motivation to do it all. A balanced lifestyle is the key, and a hobby outside of work is the keyhole for that lifestyle.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    I really can resonate with "The Fan" video that Jeff posted up top.

Things on the job sure aren't perfect in terms of heavenly perfection. But they are perfect for what they are turning out to be. You can always consider your environments turn out based on what you bring and put into it. Which ultimately, if things are turning into poor work situations that lower productivity, or someone at the company is poisoning the well to drink from. Well, that's you're cue to be a leader and speak up.

Jobs will not be perfect, but you can be. To your own ideal vision. Just as long as you don't think too much in the moment and just "Do" the job as required to keep it.

My own philosophy while on the job and dealing with bad management, piss poor poisoning individuals who have elitist attitudes. Is pretty much remind myself I'm an Artist and I don't care much for their tiny world perspectives, and the game I ultimately devout much time to will not allow me a say, to impact for the greater good of its success. So do what I am here to do, and do it to the extent I would be damn proud to praise about.

Other things like mentioned, get up and take breaks. Practice not talking about drama at or out of the work place. Instead, talk of the dreams you wish your game/product to become. Also, do homework on other disciplines and work areas you can best contribute to, or become a contributor.
  • sprunghunt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    sprunghunt polycounter
    from my experience bad morale in the games industry comes from only a few areas:

- inefficient processes causing lots of rework and overtime and continued problems
    - a lack of merit based, or evidence based, decision making

These can both be the cause of each other. The best way to increase morale is to fix these problems. Not by running morale boosting exercises, or by mandating certain kinds of behaviour.
  • Slave_zero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Slave_zero polycounter lvl 8
    Elynole wrote: »
    **Disclaimer - I'm not a professional artist, my professional career has been in healthcare technology - I'm not sure how a professional art studio works, but I can suspect that it works quite a bit like a professional software development team.***

Thanks for sharing this and your example shows that if people don't watch out for themselfs even in a great company things can go down pretty easy.
  • maverickhornet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    maverickhornet polycounter lvl 9
    I personally think Elynole hits the nail right on the head.

Thank you for sharing your story :)

Work to live. Don't live to work.
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    That said ... there's nothing really WRONG with loving your job and wanting to spend extra hours doing it. If you're doing what you love for a living, the line is blurred and some people are very happy with that situation.

Everyone is different. Work/life balance is a very personal ratio.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Going along with what others have been saying...I think its important to keep your work at work, and have that healthy work/life balance.

Collectively, we all work in an industry we are super passionate about. And us artists can tend to take things very personal. Of course this means we pour our hearts into our work sometimes...but you just gotta remember that this isn't your own personal project...and sometimes you have to accept decisions that you don't personally agree with...because you will most definitely end up in a situation where you strongly disagree with the direction a game/studio/client is heading.

I think that is where the work/life balance comes into play...sometimes you really have to just stop taking work personally, and leave work at work. If I'm not particularly excited with the work that I'm doing at the moment, then I end up filling that void with person creative endeavors at home.

I don't have as much experience with this as a lot of other people do...so consider that.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    WarrenM wrote: »
    That said ... there's nothing really WRONG with loving your job and wanting to spend extra hours doing it. If you're doing what you love for a living, the line is blurred and some people are very happy with that situation.

Everyone is different. Work/life balance is a very personal ratio.
    I can agree with that entirely, me personally I can't stop working or I get bored and depressed, but working for a client or a company I think its good to establish boundaries even if you are a workaholic who loves your work, you can continue working on your own, develop your own projects, explore new styles, pickup new skills, this will likely benefit you in the long run above all and improve your work work.
  • ae.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ae. polycounter lvl 12
    I think most of the big motivation killers have been brought up in this thread.

I made a huge leap of faith during summer moving back to Vancouver with no job and nothing lined up not because it was the smartest thing to do but i needed a huge life jolt to get out of motivational funk i was in at my previous job.

all these things applied to me:
    • Extended crunch.
    • Levels being cut.
    • Change in direction of project.
    • No clear direction of the project.
    • Turnover of personnel.
    • Miss-management of leadership.
    • Inexperienced people you are the lead of.
    • Projects being terminated.
    • A project you are just uninterested in.

the words in bold being the biggest turning points for me.

After i left that company i promised myself never to work unpaid overtime and be taken advantage of by management ever again. And only work at studios/freelance jobs where i am invested in the project and its not just a paycheck for me.

My advice to anyone working at a studio they are basically done with, update you're portfolio throw out your resume to places you would like to work and start a new exciting chapter in you're life.
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    Hey everyone amazing responses, really great to hear them all. Love the different views/personal experiences.

I also should have prefaced this with the fact that all those things I listed were different reasons I could think of for loss of motivation in a professional environment, not that I was personally going through all of them. I would for sure find a new job if I was ha. But I do want thank everyone who sent me a nice personal message/concern. It was appreciated :)

As for the whole, just don't care mentality of things I can NEVER see myself as someone who dose that. I love what I do too much. I pour passion into my work because I enjoy what I do so much. For me its super exciting and if I didnt need to work a day in my life this is still what I would want to do with most of my time. I am not devoting every waking moment to work and what I do, but when I am at work I like to give it all I can and try to make the most kick ass stuff possible. But I can and have seen the flaws of becoming to attached to stuff at work you work on :/

I started this thread for 3 main reasons...

1. This is something I never see talked about among professionals as they don't want that stigma of they lost there passion. But it is an issue that professionals have to deal with and having a thread on the topic can be helpful for those to worry to talk about it themselves. And frankly I am not personally worried about any kinda stigma, I love the hell out of what I do and like to think that normally shines through.

2. I had an old friend who was going through a lot of the things on that listed and it totally zapped them of any motivation of being in this industry. It sucked as there friend realizing I didn't know how to motivate them through a shity time. Last time I talked with them they seemed to adopt the "I don't care, this is just a job to get by" mentality and personally I think that is terrible and would never want to have that mind set. (they could have bounced back now, not sure)

3. I personally have hit an old limbo state at work, that I know in 2 or 3 months will pass, but still trying to find that motivation to get through the next 2 or 3 months has been difficult and so seeking advice from other professionals I thought would be the best thing to do :)

So lets see how much I can say without getting into trouble...ha

Personally the level I was working on for an extended period of months was recently all but completely cut. A change was needed and restructuring of the level from the ground up had to happen. (which is for the best in terms of gameplay) But with this brought about a change in location and direction of the level. At the core its still the same idea but only small bits will carry over from the level I was so pumped to work on.

Pretty demoralizing to say the least. I cant help but feel like all that time was sadly wasted. I know the new direction still will be awesome and it fits better for gameplay, but there was a bit of magic about the artist look as it was before that I feel is now lost and unfortunately cant just be shoehorned into the new area. Added with the fact that on a console jump things are very start, stop, redo just adds to that feeling. (and with ND, we have 1 environment and 1 texture artist per level and thats generally the only level you work on, so when that gets a huge change you really feel the loss of work)

Now I have had to deal with levels being cut already and I know it can suck for a while. Luckily on Uncharted 3 when our super cool single player Oasis level was cut it was in the middle of crunch so there was too much work to do to really focus on it.

Unfortunately now I am stuck in an awkward limbo phase of design being a good 2 or 3 months out and the art direction is not locked down as other tasks are taking priority. I'm back to the "look dev" phase that I had been in for months and after months of doing that only too see all the cool work I had done being cut, it feels hard to be motivated to do it again while waiting for design.

So I guess thats the unfortunate position I am in. I know once design figures out exactly what they want and have something in 2 or 3 months this will pass as I still love what I do and am super excited to get the ball rolling. I haven't lost my passion for what I do or even the project I am working on, but being stuck in this odd limbo phase is sadly depressing.
  • crazyfool
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    That sucks hard, I hate it when stuff gets cut or cancelled. You can't help but die a little inside when that happens due to all the time and effort that goes in, especially if it was cool aswell. Sucking it up and moving on is quite easy once you get busy again though. It's a good thing though, shows you are passionate and put a lot of work in, it wouldn't bother you if you didn't care about it. I remember spending months on my dream IP and I got a lot of freedom in the designs too and it ended up being lost. That took me a while to get over but the lessons learned aren't forgotten and can be applied to the next project. It helped aswell that the next project was even better haha.

I'm just imagining IGN finding out a level was cut and the headlines they would make up haha. The gaming media seems to be gunning for you guys at the moment.
  • rogelio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    rogelio greentooth
    The game industry is very much like this all the time. Things get cut or reduced to the point where the real magic is lost at times. Making games of the AAA magnitude involves many tough choices for sure.

I am glad your not totally disheartened :) Limbo happens especially at these stages. I think also the Next Gen push makes it so these odd limbo moments happen. I can only imagine all other studios setting up workflows for the future that will be used for 8 yrs + this is mind boggling to think about. These studios and the people around have to make the right choices that will reflect much deeper than just that one game. Next gen jumps are always the hardest. I remember the old UT 2004 days to GOW type tech that was a huge jump. Normal map baking nearly killed of a lot of artists back than. The learning curve was raised. This gen is similar also in that way.

I know how it feels to lose work done especially something so significant. At the end I have to remind myself this is for the team the game... it is not about my individual work, but how it all works together.

Use the limbo time to explore new workflow ideas and or new tools this always helps me get through the bumps on the road beside many other good suggestions here :)

This is a great topic though and it is sort of never mentioned I think people think it is all candy and sunshine in the industry at top studios. Sometimes we have our kind of dull boring sluggish times and sometimes we are doing so much work we can barely breath.

These limbo moments are always dreadful.

Atm I am not in limbo though but some are...

and just in case an IGN person comes along.

THIS IS NORMAL in this industry nothing said here is news just normality thank you very much... Horrible news people who have no real facts.
  • wizo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    wizo polycounter lvl 17
    its been already said but, a good trick to get out of the 'negative' thoughts is just have a good time, go outside or go back and enjoy the masterpieces that inspired us to get in this industry in the first place

...for example I really like playing retro games like donkey kong country,megaman, or listening to your favorite game OST can really bring back the spark for creation. diablo 2 music has always done the job for me : )

it is not easy to avoid stress or crunches which are out of our control but spending some time on stuff we enjoy is certainly something in our control. when I am in a bad spot I try to focus on the future and how this shitty thing I am doing might come in handy later on in my career. :)
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hermit wrote: »
    At some point the industry will have to admit that most game companies just don't know how to make games and approach game development the wrong way.

What is the point of hiring talented individuals if you don't let them do what they do best?
    What is the point of building talented teams, if you don't let them make the games they want to make?

That's why every year more veterans are leaving the big studios to go indie. Slowly, the small indie studios are getting bigger and at some point will replace the current AAA studios. But the difference is that... those indie studios are making the games they want to make. Those guys do what they do best.

Well, it's a vicious cycle. All the current AAA studios started as small indie teams and made the games they wanted. The same fate faces current indie studios.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    That's why every year more veterans are leaving the big studios to go indie. Slowly, the small indie studios are getting bigger and at some point will replace the current AAA studios. But the difference is that... those indie studios are making the games they want to make. Those guys do what they do best.

While I agree about having said that talented people are starting their own indie studios. While leaving behind the bigger ones.

To the quoted note, It's a 50/50. To be quite honest, not all indie studios are really making anything they want to make. Some are ran by people who want to be publishers and developers. Which inherently prevent their talent pool staying confident in their own ability to deliver what they want w/o a 3 hour or more disagreeable and possible argument why which is righter than the other.

I admire Turtle Rock keeping a low profile and taking much needed risk to make the game they really dream to make come true. Which is fuckin awesome. But the only indie teams making it big are those either to some extent are mobile developers. Who are approaching game making from a super-nes era with modern ideas. Or simply, those who haven't made it big, and are still hiding away from big talent that haven't gotten noticed because of various reasons.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Anthony, I'm not sure I've ever met you personally but I know Chad and I have met Andres who you know quite well. I would have to say that I have been in the same exact situation once before. Fortunately, I've been lucky for most of my career to not have ENORMOUS portions of my work thrown out...mainly just luck and timing. I am currently a character artist but started in environments. For my first project, I literally spent 6 months or so buiding TONS of props and textures for the game I was working on. Then, with one decision by the AD and concept lead, all of it was thrown out. I was devastated and upset to say the least. I was still new to the industry back then and did not handle it well. Fortunately, my AD gave me the opportunity to do something different. She saw how much I struggled with what happened and she gave me a golden ticket...to try characters. I have never looked back. I think that's an extreme example(switching job expertise completely) but I think this is a great way to learn new stuff that you would otherwise not have the chance to do. It may be slow since you aren't building a specific asset for the game but think of it as a free pass to pick up a skill that you are going to get paid to learn. And remember, at the end of the day, you are still working on a game that you KNOW will be awesome. Good luck man!
  • Elynole
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At some point the industry will have to admit that most game companies just don't know how to make games and approach game development the wrong way.

What is the point of hiring talented individuals if you don't let them do what they do best?
    What is the point of building talented teams, if you don't let them make the games they want to make?

***Disclaimer - I'm not a professional artist, my professional career has been in healthcare technology - I'm not sure how a professional art studio works, but I can suspect that it works quite a bit like a professional software development team.***

I'm going to continue to put the disclaimer in this thread, because I've never worked in a game development/art studio. However, large-scale software development is pretty much the same wherever you go.

____

Based on my own experience, I've found that most people in the workplace that considered themselves visionaries - or who have strong opinions in their work - get so caught up in their opinions that they fail to convey them properly.

They convey their visions based on how they would want someone else to present the vision/opinion to them, instead of tailoring it for the recipients of the vision/opinion.

Choices ARE made in a company, people DO listen to SOMEONE - you just have to make sure that you catch their attention and that person is you. Not every person perceives information the same way, and it's your job in the workplace to understand who needs to listen to your opinions and HOW you should present the information to them.

For example, my position within my company makes me an outlier. I hold multiple hats, but my two most predominant ones are Team Lead and Project Coordinator. I handle all the project coordination for capital projects, and any mini-projects I delegate as necessary to my team. It has been a huge learning experience.

I know that if I have an opinion/vision about the way our product is being marketed that I need to get the backing of my VP of Marketing. I know that this person perceives information visually - charts, graphs, flare, etc. Coming to this person and talking to them in a technical sense, or conveying that message from a developer perspective will get me no where with this person. I need to convey my ideas to said person via means that they understand and respond to.

I know that if I need to bring up a topic to my Director, that this person is a stickler for cyber-security. Throwing in some security advantages into my idea will most likely allow me to push the idea through and get the backing.

I know that if I'm needing to push an additional feature or a direction for our product through, that getting the backing of our VP of Sales and our Product Managers is the way to go. They speak money, I have to convey my idea to speak money. I have to show them that in the long run my idea will either save the company money or be good for business. Numbers, figures, dollar signs, that's all they want to see.

Doing so, you may find out in doing this additional research that your awesome idea that you had isn't really as grand or as important as you once thought - as people generally do not look at the overall picture that their ideas may influence, and it might just so happen that your idea is shit for other departments/areas of the company.

It would be really easy, on my part, to go into any of these meetings and talk technical(or art) to them - but it's not going to get me anywhere.

Corporate environment is literally a Game of Thrones, and if you learn how to play it you can be the most powerful person in said company, or you can be a Ned Stark.

TL;DR - Decisions are made in companies and you need to make sure that those decisions are yours.
  • JacqueChoi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    37Signals (Basecamp) have it right:

https://37signals.com/rework/

- ASAP is poison
    - UNDERDO the competition
    - Meetings are TOXIC
    - Fire the Workaholics
    - Emulate drug dealers
    - Pick a fight
    - Planning is guessing
    - Inspiration is perishable
  • WarrenM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Catchphrase is catchy.
  • peterdavidson99
    You are absolutely right. Sometimes lack of motivation leads to lack of concentration and ultimately affects our work. I suggest you to keep yourself busy as much as you can and don’t let the feeling of lack of motivation haunt you. Do everything for your own self and this will keep you motivated (don’t become selfish though ). If you have time then go and watch some events offered by JLA http://www.jla.co.uk/speakers-breakfasts/. Listening to motivational speakers often brings your mind back on track. It gets back the lost motivation. Best of luck!
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    Since I enjoy the IP I work on its somewhat easy to stay motivated and not to mention money is involved. But for me 3d has always been less about the art of it and more being better and challenging yourself so I find if its not hard enough I get bored. Hell I don't even care about 3d that much its just what I do and Its hard and has so much to learn that you can never stop. Just push yourself to seek out ways to make anything you can better and faster and it should help. Also taking a few days off and going outside is critical.

I find that if you understand yourself emotionally and hoe you work as a person you can pretty much do all the things you need to do to stay on track. Another thing I do too get excited is look at concept art and 3d from my project because when you look at your work alone you loose sight of how cool the stuff you're working on is and what its for. Sometimes ill fuck something up or feel like I'm not good enough but I get over it and just realize I have to keep moving forward and I'm going to just straight wreck what ever is in my way because I can't just be a quitter.

Not sure if this is helpful, I'm almost always motivated for work at work just never work at home.
  • Spoon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spoon polycounter lvl 11
    Autocon wrote: »
    how do Professionals deal with any sort of loss of motivation in the work place?

Beer :thumbup:
  • killnpc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    Elynole: excellent posts with some wonderful insights.
    JacqueChoi: this book looks amazing, thanks for sharing.
  • raul
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    raul polycounter lvl 11
    At the end of the day..while working for big companies you are just a number, not even a name. You will give your alls to make other people rich, while you struggle. Sure, you can go above and beyond. Make your voice heard, but the sad reality is that money is all that matters for all these big companies. Some are more considerate than others of course. My 2cents, to stay motivated, go home early. Have a life! Say no to that asshole producer. Make cool arts at home and post the shit out of here in polycount! And most of all....have fun and learn.
  • Axcel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Axcel polycounter lvl 14
    My big mistake was not doing any personnal stuff on a side and engaging too much thoughts and time into a studio game. I was strongly driven by 3 things: learning a lot new stuff, making cool project (in which I sincerely believed) and opportunities to prove myself.
    With time I've been learning less and less by doing what I was good at, project wasn't as good as expected but lack of third thing killed my enthusiasm. Everyone was too busy to even noticed if you're doing a good job or not.

I believe most important things to do to not burn out is:
    - get a life outside work
    - making personal project in a way and pace you want
    - have opportunities to prove yourself at work (work itself doesn't really have to be creative, creativity is overrated)