Home General Discussion

Affordable alternatives to Marmoset?

polycounter lvl 2
Offline / Send Message
Anthony polycounter lvl 2
Does anyone know of any alternatives to Marmoset Toolbag that is more affordable for a solo/indie user?

I know about Keyshot, but that's waaay out of my budget at $400 or so, and I think i remember reading somewhere that Marmoset is tied to your computer by Hardware ID (or that might have been keyshot, can't remember)

I just recently spent £150 on the Allegorithmic indie pack, and although google converted 130$ to about 77£, i'd rather not do that again so soon, so i was wondering if anyone here knew of any alternatives.

Thanks.

Replies

• Dataday
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dataday polycounter lvl 8
    Game engines... like UE4, just pay $20 and then cancel the subscription plan, you will still be able to use UE4. Theres Cryengine, I think free, and also Unity.

Also apparently Quixel will have a prb viewer for free but I could be wrong on that. The power of marmoset though is not just the quality, but also the convenience and options that go along with it.

The old method would be to just toss it into a game engine though, and those are readily available for fairly cheap.
  • Anthony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hm, well, i've already got UE4, so i guess i could use that, though i don't want to really go through the hassle of recompiling it just to put in substance.

Well, i suppose i could wait until i'm more proficient with ZB and have something worth rendering.
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    AFAIK not much has been said about Quixel's previewer but given the quality of their other products, my guess is that it will be pretty great. It comes bundled with the Quixel Suite which seems like it will be an amazing use of $100.

Other than that, game engines will probably be your best bet. It's not all bad though, the UE4 material editor is incredibly powerful and if you plan on making high quality environments in UE4, then chances are you'll want to make heavy use of it.

While Toolbag 2 is an incredible convenience, I don't think it's necessary.
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Marmoset is pretty damn affordable IMO.
  • Wesley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wesley polycounter lvl 13
    I was going to say... isn't Marmoset, for its ease of use and what it does, the super affordable thing already?
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Toolbag 2 is no longer tied to your hardware ID (Toolbag 1 was). We have a new licencing system, and you can easily swap between two computers, say your workstation and your laptop, or your home and your work computer, you just have to click a link in email that is sent whenever you switch.
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    I would argue that Marmoset2 is a more useful purchase than the Allegorithmic Indie Pack in the first place. But that's too late now :)

What about the Xnormal built-in model viewer ? It is of course a bit limited feature wise, but if all you need is to display your textured models it might actually be enough ...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SYU3YU3d7GI"]xNormal 3.16.3 DX10 realtime vector displacement mapping tesellation - YouTube[/ame]
  • CognizanCe
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CognizanCe polycounter lvl 10
    UE4, tool bag, and the vieports for substance designer & substance painter all support realtime PBR right?

If so, wouldn't the viewports from the Allegorithmic indie pack be sufficient? Iirc, they don't support post effects though...or is there some other reason it's not advisable for anyone to just use those?
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    We have been putting a lot of effort lately into SD's and SP's viewports and I think people will be happy about what's coming on that side in the next few weeks :)
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    Viewport 2.0 ain't too shabby either.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L5fOwSmSaW8"]CH1 -realtime dx11 tessellation in maya 2013.5 - YouTube[/ame]
  • S-S
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    S-S polycounter lvl 18
    Autodesk FBX Review:
    http://apps.exchange.autodesk.com/MAYA/en/Detail/Index?id=appstore.exchange.autodesk.com%3Aappautodesk00aefbx00aereview%3Aen

I haven't used it myself yet so I can't talk about ease of use or if it's good at all, but it looked interesting and promising and seems like it uses the same tech as new Maya viewports I think.

It's by Autodesk, it's free and for Windows 7 and I think Win8 version is for the "Tablet UI".
  • InvertedVantage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InvertedVantage polygon
    Lagoa has a free version and a paid version ($50 a month) that's twice as fast with some additional features.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Lagoa is more like V-Ray RT, it's not really a game-like viewport like Marmoset Toolbag.
  • InvertedVantage
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    InvertedVantage polygon
    I know, but he mentioned Keyshot in his first post so I figured he might also be looking for general rendering.
  • Anthony
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, that, and anything with substance support. I've seen a lot of people using marmoset on the zbrush central forums. I downloaded xNormal yesterday, but not sure if it supports substances though (as i plan to use those heavily once i get used to designer and painter), and the UE4 plugin (at the moment) requires a source recompile.

I mentioned keyshot so no-one else would :P as, like i said, it's way out of my budget.

I suppose i could try using Mental Ray Standalone, but, not sure if i have to pay for that.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just FYI, there is a free 30 day trial of Toolbag if you want to see how it fits into your workflow.
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    I think marmoset toolbag IS the affordable alternative.
  • cptSwing
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    Somebody posted a free self-coded PBR viewer here a few weeks ago. I can't seem to find it though. But yeah, Marmoset.
  • Gheromo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gheromo polycounter lvl 11
    Marmoset is the affordable alternate to everything!
  • pior
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Yes - the fact that loading up an asset and previewing it is usually faster and more responsive in Marmoset than in any proper engine :) And that's understandable, since Marmoset bypasses the import/texture compression requirements of actual game engines, and focuses specifically on making the user experience as smooth as possible (while the UI/UX of proper engines have many other problems to solve ...)

A good example is the Dota2 shader support. Previewing an asset in the Dota importer is quite convoluted since it is tailored for the import of an actual game asset (this involves a proper export with very specific conventions, creating "dummy" containers for each test, being limited by in-game cameras, textures being automatically downscaled and compressed, and so on). In comparaison, loading up (and more importantly, re-loading/updating) an asset in Toolbag2 takes mere seconds, and allows for much more scrutiny for review.

Plus, it's great for non engine-specific portfolio pieces too !
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Hermit wrote: »
    I do not own Marmoset, but from what I understand it's just a nice looking 3D viewer. Probably useful to make renders, but other than that... wouldn't it be better to stick with the 3D viewer of the game engine that you are currently using? Am I missing something?
    I don't believe you are missing much, dunno why someone wouldn't just buy UE4 and cancel its like 19 bucks, has all the same PBR, and you get to learn and own a fully formed game engine..... seems a bit odd to me someone would go with marmoset now UE4 is live.
  • mystichobo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mystichobo polycounter lvl 12
    Anthony wrote: »
    i've already got UE4

Then just use that?
  • Drav
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Drav polycounter lvl 9
    Id also advocate learning a game engine not just marmoset. The reason for this beyond what others have said, is that you have a lot more control over presentation. You can do video flythroughs, add particles, effects, even make web ready demos (Unity 5 html5)

Marmoset is a great looking engine and very convenient, but imo UDK4 looks as good and offers a whole lot more besides.