post apocalyptic Street

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
ESFGames polycounter lvl 3
Hello Polycount!

I'm currently working on a post apocalyptic street in Cryengine 3.

Made in 2 weeks:

FINAL:
pic2.jpg
pic1.jpg
pic3.jpg
pic4.jpg

OLD:
zisuSu8.jpg
Du9zoJN.jpg
XflZM9h.jpg

Replies

• ESFGames
    Offline / Send Message
    Update: added some mesh ivy and my first car ever made :)

still need to change the textures a bit etc.

lA90ztf.jpg
    G0XB4F9.jpg
  • ESFGames
  • IG-515
    Offline / Send Message
    IG-515 polycounter lvl 3
    being a crynoob myself, i can only offer a few things. time of day and environment probes do a hell of alot for ao and atmosphere effects. not sure if there are any in this scene. greens look too green in contrast. time of day settings might help that too. vegetation looks repetitive. maybe add a variation to mix it up. its going in a nice direction. please continue.
  • djoexe
    Tilling is very obvious in many areas and your textures seems squashed aswell on the moss on your walls.

I would redo a lighting pass because atm, your shadows are too dark.

Much of your textures need work, especally your muddy ground one.

Thats a great start though.
  • ESFGames
    Offline / Send Message
    djoexe wrote: »
    Tilling is very obvious in many areas and your textures seems squashed aswell on the moss on your walls.

I would redo a lighting pass because atm, your shadows are too dark.

Much of your textures need work, especally your muddy ground one.

Thats a great start though.

Hey. thanks for your advice! i'm now fixing all the stuff but i don't realy know what you mean with muddy ground texture?
  • Cay
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 3
    ESFGames wrote: »
    Hey. thanks for your advice! i'm now fixing all the stuff but i don't realy know what you mean with muddy ground texture?

maybe it's supposed to be a grass texture (the one terrain texture you use) and maybe he meant that one.. it looks a little like mud though.. and it looks very wet in the one picture

oh wait.. that's not grass or mud... that's water, right? I see.. the street is flooded

sry if it's harsh critique, I might not be much better in the current state of my education.. lots of practice ahead.. but I'll tell you what I feel

overall.. I'm having a hard time seeing the street.. the title says post apocalyptic street.. sry I can't find it :P

the scene doesn't look very meaningful, it doesn't look real.. did you use photo reference? maybe you should take a pic of a real street or situation and then let the grass grow on top of it..
    also... moss and ivy and grass.. it doesn't grow completely random.. right now it seems like you threw an ivy photo texture on top of all the others and that's it..
    also.. your tiling is very very obvious

your buildings are very very blocky.. try to break up the shapes somehow
    your windows seem to have weird scale.. some are too big.. some very flat.. try to make them somewhat more similar and realistic

I like how you started and you probably got inspired by The Last of Us or similar games/films.. but try to keep it believable if you are aiming for realism.
  • ESFGames
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay wrote: »
    maybe it's supposed to be a grass texture (the one terrain texture you use) and maybe he meant that one.. it looks a little like mud though.. and it looks very wet in the one picture

oh wait.. that's not grass or mud... that's water, right? I see.. the street is flooded

sry if it's harsh critique, I might not be much better in the current state of my education.. lots of practice ahead.. but I'll tell you what I feel

overall.. I'm having a hard time seeing the street.. the title says post apocalyptic street.. sry I can't find it :P

the scene doesn't look very meaningful, it doesn't look real.. did you use photo reference? maybe you should take a pic of a real street or situation and then let the grass grow on top of it..
    also... moss and ivy and grass.. it doesn't grow completely random.. right now it seems like you threw an ivy photo texture on top of all the others and that's it..
    also.. your tiling is very very obvious

your buildings are very very blocky.. try to break up the shapes somehow
    your windows seem to have weird scale.. some are too big.. some very flat.. try to make them somewhat more similar and realistic

I like how you started and you probably got inspired by The Last of Us or similar games/films.. but try to keep it believable if you are aiming for realism.

Hey. thanks for your advice! yea its water but i already fixed it that you can actualy see that its water. i am breaking the tiling with decals right now and i will pay more atention on the placement of the objects.

i used this reference but i kinda fade away from it.
    n4KAE4a.jpg

and for the buildings. i will try to make them less blocky and redo them ( i'm not really good with buildings but i'm learning :)

also i'm a self thought artist so i might not use the right techniques and i learned everything from the internet :/ but ill try my best!

i will post a picture soon with proper water. imporved textures and less tilling
  • ESFGames
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone!
    first of all thanks for the tips and i want more! :)

so here is a small update pic:

i've fixed/improved:
    nature textures
    broke a bit of the tilling
    improved ivy and added more variations.
    still experimenting with grass etc.
    fixed water, now you can see that its water.
    redid the lightning
    and i did some more small stuff.

still need to further improve those things and more but tell me what you think!

yN1YgOB.jpg
    Fd2wZmb.jpg
  • St.Sabath
    Offline / Send Message
    St.Sabath polycounter lvl 5
    Ok i normally hardly respond to wip threads like this,but i like this concept so much,that im gonna give you some advice..

And that advice is..: STOP!! right there
    Lol,what i mean is :
    Right now you are deriving from the concept,a deviation that is so large that there is no recollection of the concept image at all anymore.I dont know if you strive for a job in the industry,or just doing 3d Art for fun ,but following concepts and making the scenes as intended in the look and feel of a concept is something i really get a kick out of at work.
    Either way,not all is lost,i suggest you take a good look at the conceptimage,setup a new scene(or shove this street to the side,so you can grab your assets that you already made)and start building a rough shape blockout based on the camerapoint /perspective in the concept,with the assets you already made.Once you have this,you can start working on the left side of the street for instance grab the house and focus on it,to match the conceptimage as close as possible.(Hell you can even spend multiple days on it,even weeks if you want)Then move on to the next asset lets say the picket wooden fence,and create a kickass looking fence,and match that as close as possible,and so on and so on.Dont try to do it all at once,if you have a descent perspective/blockout sorted,you have to focus on smaller sections/individual assets,otherwise you get lost and lose focus,the result would be a scene that isnt appealing to the eye,and looks like it was cobbled together.
    Just my 2 cents,do what you want with it :)
  • ESFGames
    Offline / Send Message
    St.Sabath wrote: »
    Ok i normally hardly respond to wip threads like this,but i like this concept so much,that im gonna give you some advice..

And that advice is..: STOP!! right there
    Lol,what i mean is :
    Right now you are deriving from the concept,a deviation that is so large that there is no recollection of the concept image at all anymore.I dont know if you strive for a job in the industry,or just doing 3d Art for fun ,but following concepts and making the scenes as intended in the look and feel of a concept is something i really get a kick out of at work.
    Either way,not all is lost,i suggest you take a good look at the conceptimage,setup a new scene(or shove this street to the side,so you can grab your assets that you already made)and start building a rough shape blockout based on the camerapoint /perspective in the concept,with the assets you already made.Once you have this,you can start working on the left side of the street for instance grab the house and focus on it,to match the conceptimage as close as possible.(Hell you can even spend multiple days on it,even weeks if you want)Then move on to the next asset lets say the picket wooden fence,and create a kickass looking fence,and match that as close as possible,and so on and so on.Dont try to do it all at once,if you have a descent perspective/blockout sorted,you have to focus on smaller sections/individual assets,otherwise you get lost and lose focus,the result would be a scene that isnt appealing to the eye,and looks like it was cobbled together.
    Just my 2 cents,do what you want with it :)

hey thanks for the advice. i only looked at the concept to get an idea. i wasen't really planning on following it 100%.
    and yea i do want to get in the industry someday but i'm only 18 and so far everything is self taught :P
    to me it looks pretty appealing to the eye or is it that bad?
    i do not think i'm going to follow the concept exact. its more like a fun project to learn more stuff and learn better about cryengine.
    so you got any more tips besides looking at the concept?
  • ESFGames
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey everyone.

i remade the vegetation and i made more variations on it.

i now got:
    5 trees
    2 bushes
    3 grass types
    2 ivy plants

any tips?

qHQKkxn.jpg
    1m17lni.jpg
  • Cay
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay polycounter lvl 3
    ESFGames wrote: »
    Hey. thanks for your advice! yea its water but i already fixed it that you can actualy see that its water. i am breaking the tiling with decals right now and i will pay more atention on the placement of the objects.

i used this reference but i kinda fade away from it.
    n4KAE4a.jpg

and for the buildings. i will try to make them less blocky and redo them ( i'm not really good with buildings but i'm learning :)

also i'm a self thought artist so i might not use the right techniques and i learned everything from the internet :/ but ill try my best!

i will post a picture soon with proper water. imporved textures and less tilling

what this concept has is a very nice composition, your eyes are always drown towards the center.. (art theory, take a look at it).. if you change it a lot, it will not look as appealing anymore.. environments are all about focal points and stuff
    that's why sticking to the concept, as long as you are inexperienced (just like me) will help
  • ESFGames
    Offline / Send Message
    Cay wrote: »
    what this concept has is a very nice composition, your eyes are always drown towards the center.. (art theory, take a look at it).. if you change it a lot, it will not look as appealing anymore.. environments are all about focal points and stuff
    that's why sticking to the concept, as long as you are inexperienced (just like me) will help

hey. thanks but i wasen't planning on following the concept art. i will do that in my next project. for now its was more for fun and to learn alot aout cryengine etc.
    next week i will start a new project where i will be focusing on the concept art :)