Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

UE4 mass effect corridor

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Count Vader polycounter lvl 12
Yup another UE4 sci-fi corridor. Still early stage. I do intend to do the background section too. Working on establishing basic lighting/material relationships right now. Any guidance would be appreciated. Concept.

JwUNak8.jpg

Replies

• JoshVanZuylen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JoshVanZuylen polycounter lvl 5
    You need more material types, The floor is very flat. Some signs/stickers would help to.
    The metal doesn't look quite right,looks like you might need more information in the gloss/roughness map.
  • mrturtlepaste
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like where this is going!

You might want to spend some time fixing the texture resolution inconsistencies. The floor and wall panels feel right, but when looking at the wall braces it seems you don't have enough texture resolution there to support it. (texture is starting to lose your normal details)

It might be worth unwrapping those guys differently, or simply giving them a larger map to support your details.

keep it up! :thumbup:
  • Count Vader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ JoshVanZuylen Yup, I'm still tryingto get my head around taking proper advantage of the 'metal' input in Unreal. I don't wanna end up having to plaster stickers all over to make it interesting, but definetely intend to work on the roughness texture more. Also having a huge headache getting the lights to reflect properly in the floor. I'm not gonna go into it here, but I made a separate thread about it in technical talk : http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133509

@ mrturtlepaste Haha funnily enough all the side elements (walls, pillars, corner piece) are unwrapped to the same sheet, and are all scaled appropriately in relation to each other. So I think it might be the lightmap or AO being shitty. Thanks for bringing that to my attention though, I'll work to figure it out.
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Those grey/metal boxes that line the walls are recessed further into the walls in the concept. Doing the same in the model will help give the corridor more depth, and add an extra contrasting shadow to those recessed areas.

Switch the light color to be a more colder cyan. You can dim the lighting a bit. Make sure to also put that extra light above the door at the end of the hall. This will help with directing the eye/player towards the goal.

You may also want to model in the ridges on the large white side panels, instead of just making them texture info. It'll catch the light better and you don't really save that many polys anyway. This is UE4 after all, it's also a corridor section, so you have highly controlled polycounts, and the spec for games coming up will be much higher due to new gen consoles.
  • chrisavigni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisavigni polycounter lvl 12
  • Count Vader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ Vertrucio Thanks for the detailed feedback, I implemented your suggestions except for remodelling the wall panels since I really didn't wanna have to redo my entire uv/texture sheet.

Otherwise, yeah long time no update - haven't been working on it as frequently as I should have been, but still working on it. blockout pretty much done, just gotta add normal details to the background part in nDo and then start seriously hitting the textures.

98J8lbW.jpg