Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Goblin

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Deathstick polycounter lvl 7
Finally decided it was time to start finishing my older models and make them game-ready.

Here's a goblin-type character in marmoset, next step is rigging and animating him.

STtxdPJ.jpg

Replies

• Dan!
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    is he done? For me, the largest things that stick out are anatomy(mostly the shins to feet transition and toes), materials/textures and presentation. It is lacking material definition making the materials all look like clay. There are also some areas such as the straps on the right leg, where the texture isn't quite matching the sculpt/bake. In addition, take a look at Scythes' recent piece- a very similar character. Check out his thread and see what you can learn here
    o7oapt.jpg
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input!

Yeah I agree the materials could use a little more definition, right now its just the diffuse and normal maps in marmoset (I haven't bothered with the specular/gloss maps yet). The bands on the right leg might have to do with the fact that I had sculpted the bands and glove directly on the body's sculpt when I first started messing around with zbrush instead of making new geometry/separate subtools for them like I should of done.

I might end up redoing parts of the body later on after messing around with rigging him as I'd really like to get a piece for my portfolio that carries through the complete process. (I have too many unfinished drawings and models) I'd also love to fix that glove/bands issue and make them separate subtools so I can make a bunch of different variations easier for a hypothetical game.
  • SaboR1996
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SaboR1996 polycounter lvl 8
    That is like the friendliest goblin I have ever seen. Good job, and yeah I totally agree with what Dan! said.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    The head is also slanted back really badly, like he's been hit by an uber gust of wind!
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Nice job so far but I have to be honest. I don't think you should use this for your portfolio. There is simply too much that needs to be fixed. Unless you do fix the issues, it's not worth putting into your folio. I know that sounds harsh but a weak character is going to hurt your folio more than it will help. I think your best option is to keep your textures but fix all the anatomical proportional issues you have. Scythe's character is a good reference but I would get real world pictures to nail the anatomy. Good luck!
  • Deathstick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for the input! I'll be putting more work into the textures and mess around with his anatomy some more (the shin thing was me being a little.. crazy while caught up in the sculpting). He could definitely use alot more tonal variation in certain spots and some straps for that floating pouch.

Spent today mostly fiddling around with trying to make better presentations rather than just slapping all the images together in photoshop. Decided to go with a 3-point lighting setup, might of made things a bit too shiny but I'm a big fan of ridiculous rim-lighting.. (Oh the bloom days of Oblivion) Did a bit of messing around in Marmoset Toolbag 2 fiddling around with all the sliders while I get a grasp of all the new changes and read a bit about PBR until my head caved in for the night.

Today's Rendering and Marmoset 2 Tests:
    QF8JCTo.png
    S8DQGXq.png
    FQ5xKAN.png
    MDe1Hjv.png
    Sans Gear
    fKhfABT.png

I also looked into marvelous designer 3 today and messed around with the trial, although it doesn't really seem worth having another subscription on top of everything for what it does/Not a fan of the tri's and I feel better off just using Max and Zbrush.

I'll also look into the neck issue as well. Luckily for me it seems making changes further down the line has gotten alot easier.
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    You should focus more on learning anatomy, instead of the presentation.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Just a couple of crits, I think if you made the feet shorter (don't need to be so long) as well as bring the forehead forward so its more similar to that of a human being it would make a great difference. Goblins like those in the warhammer universe still have human features, just shorter and more scraggly :D