Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Young Knight

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
Figured I'd start a new thread for this guy since I'll be making a lot of updates. I started working on him just before the comicon challenge but now I am back on him and going to finish this time :). Crits and comments welcome.

this is my latest progress
7wz3.jpg

heres the full character blocked in from a few days ago
f3it.jpg

Replies

• Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    Hey nice start. Just a few things :

- the hood lays in a very wierd way on his shoulders. It looks like it's carved out of stone, it should be flatter. Check references to see what I mean.

- The small patterns on the armor may be a very bad idea unless they are very subtle on the final model. They make the armor too busy .
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Remember that when bending forward, or rotating the torso, humans don't just bend only at the legs or waist. It's a big rolling motion as several lumbar vertebrae rotate at once.

The way you have the abdominal area of the armor now, it would severely limit his movement and ability to fight since he can't bend down, or even rotate his torso to get in a proper swing of the sword.

This is why you see a lot of real armor have the abdominal portions of armor segmented, or they are wide at the waist. Often times, the joint you see as the waist joint on medieval armor is actually above the waist, with a wider movable part covering the pelvis and upper leg.
  • ljsketch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Popol - thanks for the crit. My initial thought about the hood was to make it kind of stylistic but I see what you mean abuot the volume. The detail in the armor shouldn't be as apparent after texturing....hopefully :). If it is I will dial it down a bit.

@Vertrucio - good points! Didn't really think about that. I didn't design the concept but maybe I can make a mod or too without loosing the integrity of the design.

Here's the concept by the way. Probably should have loaded that up first :).

q7bo.jpg

thanks for the feedback!
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The chest piece should be in 2 pieces - a breast plate & back plate - separated down the sides and joined by leather buckles.
    titulni_578_breast__back_plates.jpg
    Note how the two pieces in this example overlap, allowing some degree of flexibility without sacrificing protection.
  • ljsketch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dwalker - thanks for the ref!

Made some updates to my knight. Thanks for all the input so far everyone :)

kk75.jpg
  • ljsketch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    more progress. I was unsure about the sword on the back with the cape but I think it works now. Thoughts any one?

1npv.jpg