Home Technical Talk

Marvelous Designer for game characters?

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
cody.rauh polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys,

I have looked at marvelous designer and wondering if anyone is using it for game character creation? Also I have heard it only exports as triangles at the moment but will be able to export as quads soon?

Would you recommend it, does it save you time or get your better results for your time vs modeling the clothes traditionally?

Replies

• Frawmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Saves a lot of time imo.
    Marvelous ->Zbrush zremesher -> model program of choice for some clean up
  • cody.rauh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any way to do it without Maya or Zbrush?
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    It's a good tool, but I wouldn't become too reliant on it without being able to sculpt cloth on your own. No guarantee an employer will be using it. Also a lot of the stuff MD kicks out needs to be cleaned up. There is a ton of overlapping geo coming out of it and that can be really hard to work with when moving low poly ( especially when baking).
  • cody.rauh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 wrote: »
    It's a good tool, but I wouldn't become too reliant on it without being able to sculpt cloth on your own. No guarantee an employer will be using it. Also a lot of the stuff MD kicks out needs to be cleaned up. There is a ton of overlapping geo coming out of it and that can be really hard to work with when moving low poly ( especially when baking).

Good to know, I guess I will stick with what I am doing. So many people looking for everyone to be faster and faster, was just hoping it would help speed me up.

Thanks guys for the helpful info.
  • radiancef0rge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    radiancef0rge ngon master
    A couple of the character guys I worked with recently on a project used it and loved it.
    This is a good thread http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=120271
  • Skamander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Skamander triangle
    cody.rauh wrote: »
    Hey guys,

I have looked at marvelous designer and wondering if anyone is using it for game character creation? Also I have heard it only exports as triangles at the moment but will be able to export as quads soon?

Would you recommend it, does it save you time or get your better results for your time vs modeling the clothes traditionally?

You probably saw this already on the marvelous designer website, but in case you didn't -> Konami, EA and Ubisoft use it. Here on polycount I know of this thread: http://www.polycount.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131713

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SI5svGCNct4"]METAL GEAR SOLID V at GDC 2013 (Fox Engine with Marvelous Designer) - YouTube[/ame]
  • Gestalt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gestalt polycounter lvl 11
    There are some perks to having actual simulated pieces of cloth. They work naturally with UVs and setting up textures for different fabrics, they're fast to adjust and iterate with and you get some nice seams for free. If you ever need to change things at a later point you have the actual cloth simulation to go back to. It's faster to try different fabrics by adjusting parameters and letting the folds and details simulate based on that.

It's completely different from sculpting, basically a different profession, so I think it will depend on your needs. I personally like it, but it's a preference. If it'd make a difference it's nice to have the simulation but it's not necessarily faster in the short term for every little thing. It's generally faster to get something with some decent quality though.

You can make a dense simulated mesh (decrease the particle distance) and it's fast enough to remesh the clothing in zbrush, zremesh or decimate them, you can even preserve the UVs if you'd like.