Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Mech Drone - wip

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
IG-515 polycounter lvl 5
Hello, been working on this mech for a couple of weeks and wanted some feedback. Its not meant to be a game model, but more just to show modeling and design skills. Any feedback is appreciated. I use 3dsmax for the modeling.

untitled30_zps92a018e2.jpg
darkheart38_zps91901086.jpg

Replies

• coresplendor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    coresplendor polycounter lvl 4
    The design looks awesome. However, the image is way too small and there's also the compression problem.... To really show the details, you gotta upload a much bigger image (and with better compression). Wireframe shots would be nice too. Anyway, i liked the design.
  • IG-515
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IG-515 polycounter lvl 5
    sorry about that. here are some larger images.
    6oyt.jpg
    8yfl.jpg
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    If you don't plan to add damage to it, perhaps a bit of color, perhaps desert camo?

Looks nice otherwise for being made in 3dsmax.
  • SkyGround
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SkyGround polycounter lvl 11
    Looks great!

But I barrely could see - how it moves.
    Also - some parts intersections looks "boring and cheat" - its just bring together like on glue - without holes or bolts ot some other thing that keeps it together.

And - looks like main black parts - are plastic. Because for metall it look too monolith and heavy, because there are no stiffeners
  • IG-515
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IG-515 polycounter lvl 5
    D4V1DC wrote: »
    If you don't plan to add damage to it, perhaps a bit of color, perhaps desert camo?

Looks nice otherwise for being made in 3dsmax.

Thank you for the critique D4V1DC. I tried some camo but it was taking away from the spec and topology. Looked too busy. I will experiment with it some more.

And I will have to shoot myself for learning, teaching, and earning money for years on an inferior program such as 3dsmax. I obviously made a mistake.
  • IG-515
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IG-515 polycounter lvl 5
    SkyGround wrote: »
    Looks great!

But I barrely could see - how it moves.
    Also - some parts intersections looks "boring and cheat" - its just bring together like on glue - without holes or bolts ot some other thing that keeps it together.

And - looks like main black parts - are plastic. Because for metall it look too monolith and heavy, because there are no stiffeners

thank you skyground. I will tighten it up with some extra fasteners and bolts. And i will do away with any plastic looking shaders
  • Cactus on Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cactus on Fire polycounter lvl 10
    Amazing. Gotta love industrial-futuristic concepts. I see you've been inspired by names like Aaron Beck and Vitaly Bulgarov. The only suggestion I can make is to add finer and even smaller details. And maybe render the model in a more atmospheric environment with some postprocessing.

Looks great overall, keep it up !
  • IG-515
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    IG-515 polycounter lvl 5
    Amazing. Gotta love industrial-futuristic concepts. I see you've been inspired by names like Aaron Beck and Vitaly Bulgarov. The only suggestion I can make is to add finer and even smaller details. And maybe render the model in a more atmospheric environment with some postprocessing.

Looks great overall, keep it up !

Thanks dude! I'm adding more details as I type. Aaron and Vitaly are beasts and very inspiring. I appreciate the feedback.
  • simmou23
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'am a big fan of hard surface .
    There is a lot of great details here , but not as much in texture .
    great job
  • Tomiajayi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tomiajayi polycounter lvl 2
    How did you do the environment?  Looks like an hdr background that became a real floor...
  • Cactus on Fire
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cactus on Fire polycounter lvl 10
    This kicks ass man. Great job !
  • Amsterdam Hilton Hotel
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Amsterdam Hilton Hotel insane polycounter
    This looks really nice. I think the cannon stands out as a little square/blocky in a way the rest of the mech isn't, especially in its silhouette