Home General Discussion

cghub down?

Replies

• Highelf
    Offline / Send Message
    Highelf polycounter lvl 11
    adam wrote: »
    Certainly.

An issue I see with this now - and really with the site overall - is in its current form, its hard to find art and artists. The new site will fix a lot of this, but folks who are use to CGHUB's level of artist exposure may find Polycount, for now, disappointing in that regard.

Thoughts?

Honestly, and this is just my opinion, but I think the simpler the better almost. Large website changes are risky anyway.
    CGhub was great, but it was also something totally different from PC (maybe part of their downfall?)
    Part of the reason PC is great is because it's just a bunch of passionate guys talking about their industry. No messing about, no impersonal portfolio pages with comment systems - just threads and talking. (well, lots of that anyway) Generally a nice atmosphere.

Again to refer to CA in the "early days" (I feel old) All people need is an easy platform to talk to one another.

We already have many places where we can just dump our art. How many of us have a set of links where we just upload stuff and leave? Not even communicating. CGhub was this, facebook is this, deviantart caters to a different audience. Facebook (for our sector) is ridiculously asocial for being a social platform. And just look at the newest drawcrowd - its cool and easy, but how impersonal can you get? Not to mention most of us have our personal portfolio websites anyway.

A place to host art is not really the itch that needs to be scratched for me. Of course this is all just my personal opinion, and only one view on the matter, after all.

EDIT: (so many edits, sorry)

Practically, some ideas for stuff that would be cool:

Pimping new pieces.
    Discussing 2D art (in general)
    Tutorials + Resources(contract templates, etc) and discussing companies/. (*)
    Industry news
    Individual recaps
    Contests. (for fun)

*There has been an outcry for a platform where freelancers can openly share, rate and talk about companies, and talk about the business side of freelancing too. Then PACT was made. The only thing is, PACT has a subscription fee. (after they got thousands upon thousands in a kickstarter too, but anyway..)
    Pact was basically made for poor artists who really need resources (contracts) and info (on companies,prices, that kinda stuff) but then the ultimate implementation has a recurring fee - pretty hypocritical, if you ask me. Just an open subforum for this type of discussion would be amazing. For some reason it... doesn't exist yet.

I bet it shows I have been hoarding a lot of thoughts on this matter! :)
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    Certainly.

An issue I see with this now - and really with the site overall - is in its current form, its hard to find art and artists. The new site will fix a lot of this, but folks who are use to CGHUB's level of artist exposure may find Polycount, for now, disappointing in that regard.

Thoughts?

Perhaps expand the recaps, increase the amount of recaps that occur or split them into 2D/3D sections (would probably require more moderators in that regards). Maybe adding the portfolio link for everybody involved in a recap.

Organised galleries were the main draw (and the favourites system) but I can imagine this would be mega expensive. Maybe some sort of integration with pinterest (Might be a way to store personal galleries with a unified appearance)?

Just throwing random ideas around...
  • Jay_117
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay_117 polycounter lvl 11
    Guys it's official.. cghub is gone
    Here is their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/CGHUB/264398057068394

I know everyone is bummed out but I have a friend who can rebuild a similar site with everything you want and more, ultimately making it better than before. He is extremely talented, loves helping people and very quick at what he does. He is aware that cghub is no more and has no ties to the company whatsoever but he needs to know how many people would be interested in having this rebuilt.

Let me know so I can tell him.
  • Shadownami92
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Man...now how am I supposed to find all the portfolios for all those amazing korean artists...

and would the 2d part of a polycount revamp be called Pixelcount? :D

But seriously, if it really is true that cghub is totally gone that's really annoying since that was my main place to go before working on art to really get pumped up since I could just see a ton of awesome stuff right on the front page.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    tynew wrote: »
    Polycount is getting a revamp? I think the forum format might be a bit difficult for displaying 2D art as well as cghub.

I wonder if this has anything to do with Feng Zhu's recent launch of drawcrowd.

after the ben mauro incident many people left, so i doubt that
    Jay_117 wrote: »
    Guys it's official.. cghub is gone
    Here is their FB page: https://www.facebook.com/pages/CGHUB/264398057068394

that facebook page exists since 3 days, the old one is gone, as is the website or the app. teally weird they took it down just to open it again. overall pretty sad, whatever the reasons may be

shakuro just wrote that the fb page is a fake
  • blitz
    Offline / Send Message
    blitz polycounter lvl 17
    https://twitter.com/shakuro looks like a little private thing kills my future.. yeah :(
  • moof
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    polycount getting on and representing the 2d crowd would be... amazing.

I feel like this is the best place to develop on the net period and 2d art is really in need of a place like polycount imo.
  • gustavotorqueto
    Offline / Send Message
    gustavotorqueto polycounter lvl 5
    slosh wrote: »
    if the page is fake, how is the news official? Does anyone have any official confirmation? I think Intervain was a mod over there. I wish there was just a better source for this news.

Because they copied the news from the shakuro, who is the official developer web page of cghub =/
  • inflict3d
    Offline / Send Message
    inflict3d polycounter lvl 7
    My theory is that closing of cghub is related to situation in Ukraine and political affairs. Because Shakuro in Sevastopol and u know what i mean. Don't want talk more about this.
  • iconoplast
    Offline / Send Message
    iconoplast polycounter lvl 13
    Neox wrote: »
    That was said yesterday, but the post info is real and copied from shakuro's post. See here.
  • 3DKnight
    Offline / Send Message
    3DKnight polycounter lvl 17
    Taking it down with no warning is a pretty shitty things to do. A lot of artists depended on that site for their online presence.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    iconoplast wrote: »
    That was said yesterday, but the post info is real and copied from shakuro's post. See here.

yeah it doesn't make the whole thing less surreal tho ^^

i heard the rumors about crimea but its weird that shakuros sites look just normal
  • gustavotorqueto
    Offline / Send Message
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/conceptartorg/

Manley made a comment about they didn´t have any contract. So If there is no contract between Full Spectrum Digital (USA) and Shakuro(UK)! who is the owner?!
  • MM
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17
    anyone know if they will refund anything for the users who signed up for the pro account to support cghub ?

it almost feels like a scam to close the site soon after launching the paid membership...
  • sanhueza
    Offline / Send Message
    sanhueza polycounter lvl 17
    moof wrote: »
    polycount getting on and representing the 2d crowd would be... amazing.

I feel like this is the best place to develop on the net period and 2d art is really in need of a place like polycount imo.

Isn't that what http://www.conceptart.org/forums/ is for?
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Wow bad news, someone should find out who owns it and should talk them into selling to make a future for that site and its community, especially those that paid. They were all awesome on there and helpful and had tons of challenges...damn it.

Adam I agree with the others Pc is the best spot and has been pretty much since the start and i am surprised that i never took that into consideration and thought PC would be around forever.
    I just had a mild attack and horrible thought what if PC ever went down... Straight Art (blasphemy) if there ever was any, would be (to me) the equivalent of hell freezing over.

If it can integrate into the new site i would, though idk how you can handle the traffic and data that would ultimately be posted.
    They really should have said something and left whatever message up for a day, but i guess time just ran out on them?

I honestly thought they just got hacked cause of HB or something.

Edit to the above:
    I would rather everything be in one location, just my opinion though.
  • Harford
    Offline / Send Message
    Harford polycounter lvl 7
    true, but now the incident has died down the traffic just rolls back to drawcrowd. Some top artists are still there and the site itself is well designed.

I don't know the cghub reasons, it sounds serious though. Only things that come to mind as possibilities are lawsuits, bankruptcy, some serious personal reasons and I don't really want to speculate further. I guess these things just happen, however unlikely it might be when it's at full steam.
    after the ben mauro incident many people left, so i doubt that

that facebook page exists since 3 days, the old one is gone, as is the website or the app. teally weird they took it down just to open it again. overall pretty sad, whatever the reasons may be

• Del
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/conceptartorg/

Manley made a comment about they didn´t have any contract. So If there is no contract between Full Spectrum Digital (USA) and Shakuro(UK)! who is the owner?!

snapshot for people who don't have a FB account:

6wMJpis.jpg

OPFbNjN.jpg
  • Renaud Galand
    Offline / Send Message
    Renaud Galand polycounter lvl 19
    My question would be : Does anybody know if there is a way to recover your images from a archived version of the website somewhere? I think I might have lost a couple (That was stupid of me to only host them on CGHUB to start with... Lesson learned)

Since I never paid to "support" them, I really don't mind the shutdown and I don't judge them at all. I just wish I could access the website, ONE MORE TIME :p
  • StephenVyas
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    You might have some luck finding backups on pinterest. At least, this is what's being said on Facebook.

Seems it was quite common for people to 'Pin' other peoples work- Hopefully by name
    Edit::
    2iua4f8.png
  • Pabs
    Offline / Send Message
    Pabs polycounter lvl 11
    MM wrote: »
    anyone know if they will refund anything for the users who signed up for the pro account to support cghub ?

it almost feels like a scam to close the site soon after launching the paid membership...

13836157504_5c916d1278_o.png
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    I'm going to take some time to post my thoughts concerning the implementation of a 2D subsection/more 2D focused polycount. I could write pages, but I'll try to keep it concise.

I started out wanting to be a 3D artist, long time ago after discovering Quake II skins on the polycount of old (I have had several accounts here). Over time I grew more 2D focused for a variety of reasons, but still consider this my place of origin and it's where I want to stay. I think one of the main reasons I'm so drawn to polycount is the lack of distinction between 2D/3D work. I have learned just as much from people's texture work and sculpting practice as I have from viewing other illustrations, I love it. The "all inclusive" manner of our current Pimping & Previews section has lead me to encounter a lot of great things I would not have sought out on my own, and I think it helps to keep the community consistent when you're not separating things by medium.

I will also say that I have always liked polycount because its overall feeling is generally different from more 2D focused places. 3D work tends to be more production focused, goal oriented, I think adapting that mindset to my 2D work has helped me out a lot. I like knowing what 3D artists think of my work (when it happens), and I would feel saddened by feeling the need to post in the designated "2D" section, which 3D artists may well pass over.

I guess in an effort to summarize, I would love more 2D work, 2D activity, discussion, everything - here on polycount. But I worry that trying to siphon it off into its own thing would be detrimental to what polycount has always represented in my mind, and I'm unsure if our existing 2D community is enough to support such a thing as a new 2D subforum. I have already seen some changes in how polycount focuses on 2D work (it's more often in the recaps, we have a sketch thread, etc), and have been happy about that as a whole.

tl;dr - Sure, add a new 2D section if you want. I trust polycount folk to keep polycount feeling like polycount. But moof has to promise to post 10x more often and respond to all of my arts. :poly142:
  • Jay_117
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay_117 polycounter lvl 11
    If everyone wants to see a site like cghub again but one with better features I have a friend who would be willing to rebuild a similar site with everything that cghub had and more, ultimately making it better than before. He is extremely talented and is willing to help the community on here and around the web. He has no ties to the company whatsoever but he wants to know how many people would be interested in having this rebuilt by the artist for the artist so if you have any ideas just P.M me.
  • tecc
    Offline / Send Message
    tecc polycounter lvl 3
    What Ben Mauro incident you guys talk about? Maybe I should avoid them
  • gustavotorqueto
    Offline / Send Message
    Jay_117: I would wait a little, Jason told on the CA group that he is working in something new for the site, on the next days he will share.
  • Brandon Kern
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon Kern polycounter lvl 11
    I also started with 3D, like most of the 2D artists on here, but I've decided to focus on 2D.

Im really sad to see CGHUB go, it was a god-tier source for good looking art, which is honestly hard to find on other sites that don't have the same sorta thing that sorts good art from not so good art.

I don't post on polycount much anymore, but if you guys added a 2D section for us 2D guys since we're so closely related in the art world, I'd love to get back into polycount. I have a special place in my heart for you guys because its where I started taking my first steps as an artist.

Love you guys <3
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    Would something like a filter system be possible? One pimping and previews section; when someone makes a thread, they can choose from a selection of a few filters. 3D, 2D, Tech, Gameplay, Art Dump, etc. And when browsing, you can sort out each category, or just view all the threads. Feels less isolated than whole separate sub-forums or something.
  • tynew
    Offline / Send Message
    tynew polycounter lvl 9
    Like this? Excuse me for my terrible mockup :)

JaxufMG.jpg
  • gUnter
    It's been working for me all day and still is - I can see people on there posting comments on images a matter of minutes ago!?

I'm in the UK, and everyone else in the office can access it just fine... spooky! I wonder what's happened that so many people here aren't able to get on there?

It all sanctions against Russia+). If no joke, even direct links to the pictures do not work. But his host images on servers UK.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Well shit that is actually a reasonable explanation.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    R.I.P CGHUB. Luckily, I always saved the images before I bookmarked an artist. But I'll miss wandering on a random artist and checking out their work.
  • Bigjohn
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    adam wrote: »
    Certainly.

Thoughts?

This is a huge issue. I know everyone loves to say "do it", and it seems like why not? But as someone who ran some small community sites before, nothing nearly as big as PC or CGHub mind you, I can't be one of those people. I think it may not be the best move to do something like that.

There was a reason CGHub was so loved. And why I visited it and PC for different things. PC is awesome, but it's old, and it's focused on its forum. Forums are great for small tight-knit communities. And CGHub was more focused on the art.

When you click your bookmark for PC you see tons of text.
    When you click your bookmark for CGHub you see tons of pictures.

Polycount just isn't geared for that kind of stuff. Its focus on the forums is just obsolete for an art-gallery type site. An art-gallery site, like CGHub was, can support more users in that way too. Because of exposure, and because there isn't a focus on a forum which requires a tight-knit community. Posting art can quickly become a "who's who" type of things on a forum. On an art-gallery site, your picture speaks for itself.

And speaking of which, there's a language issue here. You could be a Martian, and having never spoken any earth language, you could still browse CGHub and enjoy the pictures. It's cross-language in that sense. Which was great for me, and many others I'm sure, getting exposed to awesome art from Korea, Russia, and other places, as I'm sure for them to get exposed to western art.

That will be very difficult to pull off in text-mostly form, on an American forum that's almost entirely in English.
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    tynew wrote: »
    Like this? Excuse me for my terrible mockup :)

JaxufMG.jpg

More or less, yes. Easy to use, and doesn't create the issue of peoples' work not getting as much exposure because it's in the 2D subforum.
  • whats_true
    Offline / Send Message
    whats_true polycounter lvl 15
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    This is a huge issue. I know everyone loves to say "do it", and it seems like why not? But as someone who ran some small community sites before, nothing nearly as big as PC or CGHub mind you, I can't be one of those people. I think it may not be the best move to do something like that.

There was a reason CGHub was so loved. And why I visited it and PC for different things. PC is awesome, but it's old, and it's focused on its forum. Forums are great for small tight-knit communities. And CGHub was more focused on the art.

When you click your bookmark for PC you see tons of text.
    When you click your bookmark for CGHub you see tons of pictures.

Polycount just isn't geared for that kind of stuff. Its focus on the forums is just obsolete for an art-gallery type site. An art-gallery site, like CGHub was, can support more users in that way too. Because of exposure, and because there isn't a focus on a forum which requires a tight-knit community. Posting art can quickly become a "who's who" type of things on a forum. On an art-gallery site, your picture speaks for itself.

And speaking of which, there's a language issue here. You could be a Martian, and having never spoken any earth language, you could still browse CGHub and enjoy the pictures. It's cross-language in that sense. Which was great for me, and many others I'm sure, getting exposed to awesome art from Korea, Russia, and other places, as I'm sure for them to get exposed to western art.

That will be very difficult to pull off in text-mostly form, on an American forum that's almost entirely in English.

Did any of the art posted get critiques? Or was it just a "post pretty pictures for people to say how great you are" type of thing? Polycount has a lot of text, but the text is mostly people talking about the art or helping out with the works in progress. I got the impression that CGHub was intimidating for an average artist to post on because of the quality of work.

I agree with wishing their was more "art" to be seen. I wish we had the top banner full of pictures (like the on in CGHub) that came out of the Work In Progress thread . All the pictures though, the grey boxes, the uncompleted stuff, like, not a gallery of finished work, but a mixture of both.
  • Muzzoid
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    For the record i agree with Big John here. I applaud any attempt to accommodate 2d artists, and i want that to happen, i've posted here for a long time as a resident 2d guy. I just don't think it should be made with the idea of replacing cghub.

I'm a moderator of PolykarbonBBS, what is essentially a dead forum now and most of us that post do it because we have old friends there, not for any other reason.

I think that a gallery site with on server hosting is what is needed, and as much as i hate to say it, (not the biggest fan of Feng Zhu as a buisness man), but draw crowd and the like are more the way these things i feel should go.

But the mods here are smart, i don't think we are saying anything they don't know.
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    all i`d want to see on PC is a distinction between Wipthreads and pimpthreads.
    And a "Good ol fashion pc critique mode" that you can enable on your topic so people know its okay to for them to be direct in their feedback
    pc should never attempt to be a gallery site its great at what it does and feels like a community instead of a gallery that happens to have a forum too.

anywho OT sad to see cghub go for its gallery part, it was really inspiring to browse through such an array of great art.
  • roosterMAP
    Offline / Send Message
    roosterMAP polycounter lvl 12
    totally agree with big john. Making polycount more like cghub would require us to sacrifice what polycount fundamentally is... a forum.
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    tecc wrote: »
    What Ben Mauro incident you guys talk about? Maybe I should avoid them

https://warosu.org/ic/thread/1669848#p1669917
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    sanhueza wrote: »
    Isn't that what http://www.conceptart.org/forums/ is for?

the days of ca are over, the best guys left years ago
    all i`d want to see on PC is a distinction between Wipthreads and pimpthreads.
    And a "Good ol fashion pc critique mode" that you can enable on your topic so people know its okay to for them to be direct in their feedback
    pc should never attempt to be a gallery site its great at what it does and feels like a community instead of a gallery that happens to have a forum too.

anywho OT sad to see cghub go for its gallery part, it was really inspiring to browse through such an array of great art.

yeah definitely, if anything i was like 2 times on the cghub forums, it never really felt like a crucial part of the site to me
  • Joopson
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    massive black dudes

I... I read this differently than I think was intended.

The thing I love about Polycount is that it's a community based around Game art, sharing knowledge and techniques, and improving. It isn't just a pretty gallery of art to look at. That's why I never have really gotten into those other sites. It's a community, and I feel kinship to anyone who posts here, because of that. I think it's a beautiful and unique thing.

CGhub and sites like that always seem to be far more about the art than about community. Polycount has a fantastic balance.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Cghub was crucial to me but in a much different way than PC. I have been talking to a buddy about doing something similar to cghub but cutting out the forums and challenges...so its just about art and giving artists a place to possibly use as a portfolio. I use PC to really discuss stuff and cghub to show off finished art.
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    Would be cool to have highlighted threads maybe on the front page, like on zbrushcentral, gives incentive and exposure to artists. Could help people find jobs if their work is put up.

If this was updated often enough (not daily like cghub, more like zbrushcentral which waits for the awesome stuff to drop) I think it would be really cool. I know it's more work for admin but it means we can maybe do away with the weekly recaps and just get some thumbnails on the front page which links to the post or thread, maybe have a little green tooth pic the admin can edit the post with to say it's been front paged? Just imagine all the cool stuff from waywo and amazing threads front paged, then maybe catalogued so you can look at all the previous entries. It is essentially zbrushcentral but better because it's green haha, they are at the moment imbetween cghub and what polycount is and I'm not sure it works.

I honestly think you would get a ton more art posted and a ton more people getting involved. More art dumps aswell :)

Seperating 2d from 3d i think would be bad, you risk it becoming a ghost town like sketchbooks, i like the idea of having a selection up top to seperate them but maybe a little coloured arrow at the start of the title to say if it's 2d,3d, or even both would work out aswell. I love looking at 2d stuff so would be cool to put everything together yet still clearly marked, and then if you want to seperate it further you can click up top like suggested.

Cghub was great but it's emphasis on finished work did make it a drop in and drop out affair, polycount is about the process and I think unfortunately cghub was great but a broken model. It wasn't self containing due to all the images they had to host and I wonder how many people actually visited their forums, I know I had one post in the 5 or so years I was signed up. Let drawcrowd fill the void I say, they have a lot of issues at the moment which keep me away due to navigation and design so hopefully the increased foot traffic will sort stuff out.
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Joopson wrote: »
    I... I read this differently than I think was intended.

oh someone who doesn't know their real name hu? :D
    check the name and the logo then

i removed the part about them, i only know em through some people not directly, so it more rumor spreading than helping.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    While I agree that PC could be vastly upgraded to be more like cghub, it is prob better off the way it is. I think you're right about cghub forums. That felt very underused. PC and cghub serve very different purposes. I think both have a place for artists but should remain the way they are. Drawcrowd could be the next cghub but it feels very unorganized and chaotic in comparison. Hopefully it can remedy those issues.
    crazyfool wrote: »
    Would be cool to have highlighted threads maybe on the front page, like on zbrushcentral, gives incentive and exposure to artists. Could help people find jobs if their work is put up.

If this was updated often enough (not daily like cghub, more like zbrushcentral which waits for the awesome stuff to drop) I think it would be really cool. I know it's more work for admin but it means we can maybe do away with the weekly recaps and just get some thumbnails on the front page which links to the post or thread, maybe have a little green tooth pic the admin can edit the post with to say it's been front paged? Just imagine all the cool stuff from waywo and amazing threads front paged, then maybe catalogued so you can look at all the previous entries. It is essentially zbrushcentral but better because it's green haha, they are at the moment imbetween cghub and what polycount is and I'm not sure it works.

I honestly think you would get a ton more art posted and a ton more people getting involved. More art dumps aswell :)

Seperating 2d from 3d i think would be bad, you risk it becoming a ghost town like sketchbooks, i like the idea of having a selection up top to seperate them but maybe a little coloured arrow at the start of the title to say if it's 2d,3d, or even both would work out aswell. I love looking at 2d stuff so would be cool to put everything together yet still clearly marked, and then if you want to seperate it further you can click up top like suggested.

Cghub was great but it's emphasis on finished work did make it a drop in and drop out affair, polycount is about the process and I think unfortunately cghub was great but a broken model. It wasn't self containing due to all the images they had to host and I wonder how many people actually visited their forums, I know I had one post in the 5 or so years I was signed up. Let drawcrowd fill the void I say, they have a lot of issues at the moment which keep me away due to navigation and design so hopefully the increased foot traffic will sort stuff out.
  • dtran
    Cghub was crucial to me but in a much different way than PC. I have been talking to a buddy about doing something similar to cghub but cutting out the forums and challenges...so its just about art and giving artists a place to possibly use as a portfolio. I use PC to really discuss stuff and cghub to show off finished art.

I think a user posted drawcrowd.com it does just that. just art. no forums. just to inspire. i think its pretty sweet actually. its no cghub but in time i think it can get thatre.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    dtran wrote: »
    I think a user posted drawcrowd.com it does just that. just art. no forums. just to inspire. i think its pretty sweet actually. its no cghub but in time i think it can get thatre.

yea, i already created a gallery on there. I don't really like the layout personally and the gallery is cluttered. It lacks the professional clean look of cghub IMO. If they fix that, I think it will be better. I just wouldn't really point potential job employers to that gallery. I like how cghub's profile page almost felt like a resume and the gallery was your folio. If drawcrowd can get to that point, I think it will make a nice replacement.
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    While I agree that PC could be vastly upgraded to be more like cghub, it is prob better off the way it is. I think you're right about cghub forums. That felt very underused. PC and cghub serve very different purposes. I think both have a place for artists but should remain the way they are. Drawcrowd could be the next cghub but it feels very unorganized and chaotic in comparison. Hopefully it can remedy those issues.

my only real issue with PC is that work is lost so easily, its good that its always moving forward but it means the great stuff isnt rewarded and goes to page 2 or 3 within an hour or two and is never to be seen again. The weekly recaps are fantastic but not often enough and often the work is old and so doesnt encourage interaction, the banners are fantastic but again its old aswell.

Polycount works perfectly how it is and is the best forum, so was only a suggestion, a little greentooth award might be cool :) and the added incentive might make it a bit busier/cooler was all I meant to say haha.

Completely agree with cghub and PC being completely different, and thats a good thing. Let drawcrowd have em :)
  • Xoliul
    Offline / Send Message
    Xoliul polycounter lvl 14
    Yeah PC really needs some rethinking/upgrading/reorganizing if we want it to grow any more. There's just too much going on at once in some forums, and it's way too hard/slow to get an overview of the images that matter. I never go to P&P anymore since there's like 5 new pages a day there, I don't even bother with Sketchbooks. Technical Talk is where i hang out mostly because the threads don't move so quickly there, General Discussion too.
  • Brygelsmack
    Offline / Send Message
    Brygelsmack polycounter lvl 11
    Well, thank god I didn't base my portfolio off of that site. Shame to see it go, got lots of inspiration from CGHub.
  • Saf
    Offline / Send Message
    Saf polycounter lvl 11
    Really sad news.
    I have an idea! PolycountHub with blackjack and hoo…