Home General Discussion

The Micro: $299 3D printer on kickstarter

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
CapableWizard polycounter lvl 9
Kickstarter

e07eab1a3053485dc47d9946d2915ea1_large.png?1395352710

Seems pretty cool, the first time a 3D printer has really seemed affordable (to me at least!) I'm really tempted to pick one up, does anyone have any experience with these filament spool printers? I know the resolution is supposed to be a lot worse than the SL printers but how much worse?

Also when it states 50-350 micron resolution does that mean you dial in the resolution or is 50-350 an approximation of the average resolution throughout a whole print?

Replies

• HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    HitmonInfinity polycounter lvl 11
    Where's polygoo? I'm pretty interested too. Tell us if this is legit or not!
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    does anyone have any experience with these filament spool printers? I know the resolution is supposed to be a lot worse than the SL printers but how much worse?

They're not too bad, though it may depend on the detail you're hoping to achieve. Stair-stepping and gaps can also be smoothed away with a little acetone.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    Is that micron measurement the minimum feature size or the layer thickness it puts down, since they are different apparently.

and usually, the xx-xx means you can define the accuracy with which the printer prints, which usually brings with it some form of reliability problems as you step down.
  • CapableWizard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CapableWizard polycounter lvl 9
    50-350 micron layer resolution
    15 micron X and Y positioning accuracy

By comparison it looks like the MakerBot Replicator Mini has a resolution of 11 micron X and Y positioning accuracy with a 200 Micron layer resolution.. It also retails at $1375 - almost 5 times the cost of the micro.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about 3D printers so probably have missed something significant here!
  • Lazerus Reborn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lazerus Reborn polycounter lvl 8
    This is awesome-sauce. I've been waiting for these to claw into mainstream and drop in price! At £185ish aswell! Blimey i will eat beans for a month to get this!
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zack Maxwell interpolator
    Holy crap, $50,000 goal, and they've reached over $1,600,000 with nearly a month left :D
    There's definitely a lot of demand for it.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    By comparison it looks like the MakerBot Replicator Mini has a resolution of 11 micron X and Y positioning accuracy with a 200 Micron layer resolution.. It also retails at $1375 - almost 5 times the cost of the micro.

Disclaimer: I know nothing about 3D printers so probably have missed something significant here!

I'm not sure if the micron measurements takes into account the size of the filament as it comes out of the nozzle. There wont be a point in going too low if the plastic itself is going to come out larger than the layer.

As for the price, there are other factors involved. I can't speak for the quality of the parts or how easy they are to maintain and replace, but the Makerbot seems to include a closed case (which traps the heat in during printing), a heated print bed, a built-in camera and a smart extruder that can communicate to your phone. Prints can take several hours to complete (I'd ballpark 1-4 hours for smaller prints, 6-10hours for a size that would comfortably fill up that 4" volume), and they require constant monitoring the whole time unless you want to come home to spaghetti. Being able to monitor and cancel a print from anywhere is a very nice feature to have.
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    That is super awesome! Love 3d printers and one that is affordable would be amazing.
  • kurt_hectic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    kurt_hectic polycounter lvl 10
    eh kickstarter...the easiest way to grab 1 mln $ ever.

Another video with friendly music, happy people and crap like this. I wanted to see how accurate printer is and guess what , they didn't show a single model printed by this device!

big LOL
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    I'm just going to wait on the Peachy. This printer seems decent, but its based on the same approach as traditional 3D printers, and uses the same spool-fed material. I think there's a bit more potential in what the Peachy printer is attempting.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    The advantage of the spool fed material is it's cheaper and you can honeycomb pattern the interior of models to save on supplies. The other advantage is if you're using PLA it's made out of natural starches, so it's more environmentally and health friendly than the liquid resins used in stereo-lithography machines.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    if it does what it says ill buy one when it releases, wonder whats the biggest model you could make with this.
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    The advantage of the spool fed material is it's cheaper and you can honeycomb pattern the interior of models to save on supplies.

The stereolithography approach allows for the use of materials with different levels of flexibility. Not in the same print, naturally, but you can print with differing types of elasticity. I'm also fairly certain that a greater degree of detail is possible. The spool-fed approach is limited by the physical constraints of its components. It's also slightly more prone to hardware failures, because of its reliance on numerous moving parts.

The environmental factors are worth considering. Starch-based plastics are a considerable advantage.
  • Shadownami92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    Not to mention that if you use ABS plastic you could also get a Filabot which you can use to grind down bad prints and melt it into filament to get a good portion of it back making it sort of better cost wise as well.

Though I imagine with that design it wouldn't be too hard to make your own plexiglass enclosure or something around it.

This one I think might not have the best print quality but decent for a few different uses anyhow, since it's open air it can be effected by outer temperatures more, the enclosed cased 3d printers can regulate the temperature of the printing environment better making sure prints dont pop off too earlier and so the plastic doesn't tool too fast. Either way that does seem tempting. I was originally going to build a 3d printer myself but decided to focus on other things and maybe buy an Up Mini somewhere down the line.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Really tempting for the print area and price, good thing I got a lot of time to decide.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    if it does what it says ill buy one when it releases, wonder whats the biggest model you could make with this.

Nearly 4.5in cubed, also the price is probably going up on release.
  • Mstankow
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    I guess if it is not good enough you can always print out a better 3D printer. And then with that new 3D printer, print out an even better 3D printer.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    info-print-area-in.png
    Pretty decent size.
  • aesir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    aesir polycounter lvl 18
    ZacD wrote: »
    Nearly 4.5in cubed, also the price is probably going up on release.

IF it releases. A shitload of kickstarter projects never materialize. Hell, Sad Pictures for Children's comic book was actually completed, then LIT ON FIRE by the creator because they had a mental breakdown.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Most 3d printers from kickstater have been shipped and released. This project has a basically final design. Kickstarter is always a risk, but projects like these tend to have minimal risk.

If you don't have $300 to potentially throw a way, don't but it. But there isn't any complete $300 3d printers of this caliber for sale right now
  • eld
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    eld polycounter lvl 18
    It's hard to find a printer without issues and tweaking requirements, and since this printer isn't out in the public no one really knows what issues it will have.

Numbers doesn't say much in this scenario.
  • Vertrucio
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Apparently one of the features of this printer is it has some small level of auto-calibration.

I backed it, although I may withdraw that. I did find a slot that ships in december 2014, but knowing these projects it still means I'll get it in 2015.

There's also the fact that some key patents for 3D printing are expiring next year. I have some use for a 3d printer, but I'd rather pay more for something higher quality later since my projects involve a lot of small details.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18

fyi: Rhinikio is talking to someone who pushes 50 micron layers out of a Makerbot Replicator, that's higher res than they advertise on the site but it increases print times to an all day task. I'd like to see how this lightweight and mostly plastic printer handles the vibrations from printing.
  • Snader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader polycounter lvl 15
    The 15 micron figure is 99% probably the accuracy of the motors, not the endresult. And the 50-350 micron layer will sacrifice X/Y accuracy even more since it needs to melt the resin more to make the layer thinner, but as a tradeoff this makes each 'drop' a larger surface area. So no I don't expect this to be more accurate than a makerbot.

And there's the bit of all their imagery on their website being 3D renders instead of photos. Lastly, that image Hitmonfinity posted a bit up there isn't using the right sizes for the model. 3.3 should be much narrower in comparison than 4.3 than is shown.

It might be a decent printer, certainly for the price, but they seem to be inflating the qualities/specs/possibilities of it and I don't like that at all.

Personally I'll just be waiting for one of the current gold-rushers to have a good track record a year or two from now, and buy one for $300 when the market has stabilized.
  • HitmonInfinity
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Snader wrote: »
    Lastly, that image Hitmonfinity posted a bit up there isn't using the right sizes for the model. 3.3 should be much narrower in comparison than 4.3 than is shown.

Wat? Straight out of modo based on those dimensions...
    lEJNGKo.jpg?1