Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Recent Grad Portfolio (critiques & feedback please)

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
travisdreams polycounter lvl 6
Hey guys, i've finally finished my studies in school and am able to post my work. The most recent piece i did was the barbarian & sci fi environment so i plan to create another character & environment pretty soon (while i wait for replies from companies on my applications) to possibly place within my website also or even replace some of the ones on there.

Any feedback is welcome, whether it be on the work or the website format, Thanks!

http://www.Ngov3D.com/

Replies

• LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Your art is nice.

However there are a few things that could be improved.

You should separate your Character Art from your Non-Character Art, as it currently stands it could confuse potential employers if you were to apply to a posting for an "Environment Artist" or "Character Artist".

There is no need to have a separate "Personal Work" link until you've got some Professional work to show.

Lose the "flashy" web design. It broke on me while I was writing this, and I can't see individual works at the moment.

You have way too many images of your characters, we don't need to see every little angle. A few beauty shots, a wireframe, and a high res and textures is more than enough.
  • CarlK3D
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    CarlK3D polycounter lvl 7
    Things I think you could remove or fix:
    - Theres a large footer section with nothing in it, I'd remove it
    - I don't see a need for the Instructions on how to Hover and click that seems like common knowledge to anyone in the Industry
    - as LMP said theres no need for a separate "Personal Work" link until you have professional work
    - 2 demo reels for both YouTube and Vimeo seems pointless, pick 1
    - I'd make your Name Text linkable to, many times I tried to click it and had to go to the t Banner
    - Keep Images to a minimum, Like what is shown in the Car (Include Wireframes, Polycounts & Texture Sizes for Props, Vehicles and Characters
    - Individual Props, Textures are not required for Environments since your not showing a single piece but a collection. so I wouldn't Include them since there shown in the Environment itself
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    For a student, not bad at all. My main advice is to keep your site as simple and straight to the point as possible. The front page is pretty decent though so I don't have a problem with it. As for content, pick either characters or environments. There are rare times you may find jobs that are for generalists but if you want to excel at one or the other, don't spend time doing both. You are solid at both so pick which you enjoy more. Also, you have WAY too many renders per asset. For a character, do a fron/side/back on one sheet, highres sculpt sheet, breakdown sheet with wireframe/normals/flatshaded, and then maybe a concept sheet or a beauty render. Give these a decent resolution like maybe 1500 wide. I clicked on maybe 2 per character before I got bored of the various angles and closeups.
  • travisdreams
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    travisdreams polycounter lvl 6
    Thanks for the feedback guys!

it's a good thing i posted here as it really widen my eyes to the changes i could/should be making.

i'll be building more portfolio pieces to shift my website a different direction. I graduated as a..."confused" artist not really knowing what i wanted to do since i just loved doing...everything? haha, so from here on out i'm going to focus more on characters and lean more towards becoming a character artist.

as for changes that can be made now like minimal images & website tweaks, i can definitely do that soon :)

Thanks again!
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    my comments would pretty much be whatever one else said. I also noticed you have some clipping on your 't' banner logo. and I definitely agree with the idea of picking a field. if you decide to do characters, and you want to still do some environment stuff here and there, make a SMALL stand for a beauty shot for the character, to spice it up and to full-fill that little bit of environment need. but remember to not include it in your sheets...
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    except for all dem fades between your pictures its looking rather nice.

good quality for a student, really like your Argonian warrior.