Home General Discussion

Struggling with creativity?

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
Mike8917 polycounter lvl 10
I hope this doesn't sound like too much of a sob story, but I seem to be going through a bit of a "crisis" I'll call it, and I needed to write it down.

My question is: Have you ever struggled creatively, and wondered if you've chosen the right career path?

I have a job as an environment artist currently, for a very small indie team, and I work from home. It's good overall, and I'm thankful for it, truly. I've been busy working for a mobile racing game for over a year, and overall I've enjoyed it.

However....

It came to a point several months ago where I longed for something more challenging. It can get pretty lonely working from home too, and there's a nagging sense of guilt associated with it that I didn't expect; which comes mainly from the fact that I know I should be working, because I know that I always can, if that makes sense.

Anyway, I can't escape the feeling that I've been left behind, so to speak. Several weeks ago, after viewing the work of a few friends on facebook, I decided to try and model something high res and bake the normals to a game mesh to be presented in marmoset 2.0.

I decided to model my drum kit. It's going very slowly though. I soon lose patience, and I find myself growing increasingly intolerant when things don't go right. I know what's required, but I just seem to struggle much more now.

I think the lack of challenge I get from my job has caused my skills to stagnate, and I'm desperate to catch up again, hence why I rush, make mistakes, and eventually lose patience. Or perhaps it's peer pressure, a voice inside telling me "that's where you should be at!".

It's strange, but since I've been in the games industry, I feel more like an outsider than I did before I even got a job!

I know for sure that I'm a creative person, but I glance back through my portfolio with a sense of disappointment. Mainly at the fact that I don't feel as though I've improved. On the contrary, I feel as though I've lost something, which is pretty painful for me.

I just wanted to get your thoughts on it, and wondered if anyone else has ever been in a similar situation.

Again, sorry if it sounds like I'm whining. Been floating around my head for a while now, and I just needed to say it.

Thanks for reading :)

Replies

• Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    but I glance back through my portfolio with a sense of disappointment. Mainly at the fact that I don't feel as though I've improved.

Well, sound to me like you have improved.
    Might be your actual skills are hanging behind a bit, but as long as you are able to see that, there's only one person holding you back.
  • Target_Renegade
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Target_Renegade polycounter lvl 11
    First thing I'd say is that working from home is probably having a bad effect on you. As humans we need to have some interaction with peers, and other folk, no matter how annoying they are. It actually makes you learn about yourself and grow. What other activities do you do where there are lots of other people around?

If you're feeling left behind then maybe it's because there's no one next to you where you can ask a question? There's only a certain amount you can learn from working remotely. And it's maybe, you're not getting enough questions on what you think about taking a route - creatively.

As for learning something, throw as much shit at it as possible and as fast as possible, some will stick. Treat yourself as an asset. By doing the same things again, means that you have great staying power, and have improved in what you do until it becomes second nature, like riding a bike. Once you know how to ride a bike, you'll want to drive a car.

Good luck.
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I like working from home, choosing my own hours and shit. I actually also liked working in a studio with a few exceptions, but yeah overall I am happyish
    re losing you skills, I found that after getting a job in games that maybe my skill level overall was not as high bit looking back working professionally does bring your skills up by osmosis.

maybe just do more personal projects and distance yourself from the work environment a little
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Well, sound to me like you have improved.
    Might be your actual skills are hanging behind a bit, but as long as you are able to see that, there's only one person holding you back.
    Yeah that's true Noren. Thanks man :)
    As humans we need to have some interaction with peers, and other folk, no matter how annoying they are. It actually makes you learn about yourself and grow.
    Thanks Target_Renegade, yeah that's a really good point. My lack of interaction with others definitely has a negative impact, perhaps the biggest drawback of working remotely. As for activities, they are pretty much non-existent, particularly with other artists.
    As for learning something, throw as much shit at it as possible and as fast as possible, some will stick. Treat yourself as an asset. By doing the same things again, means that you have great staying power, and have improved in what you do until it becomes second nature, like riding a bike. Once you know how to ride a bike, you'll want to drive a car.
    That's a great idea :) I think perhaps my desire to catch up has made me go about it the wrong way. I find myself trying to create art for others more than myself, like I'm seeking validation, which is ridiculous.

I'll really try and do what you suggest.

Thanks guys, means a lot :)
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I like working from home, choosing my own hours and shit. I actually also liked working in a studio with a few exceptions, but yeah overall I am happyish
    re losing you skills, I found that after getting a job in games that maybe my skill level overall was not as high bit looking back working professionally does bring your skills up by osmosis.

maybe just do more personal projects and distance yourself from the work environment a little
    Thanks Ruz. Yeah I used to like working from home too, but I think personally, the cons outweigh the pros for me. I find that I'm missing out on too much for too little.
  • Matt Fagan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 10
    The best place to start. Is to where you need to stop. The issue you have, is that you think way too much about too much. Stop doing that, and start doing the do.

As people get older, it's all a roller coaster ride with much decline. When you are young, you don't necessary think about anything. You live purely on passion, interest, and curiosity. As you near teenage years and adulthood. All of that ceases to exist because you are asked to constantly remind yourself of where you are, who you are with, and how you are to be, as well as... what you are to do (in a politically correct stance).

At the end of the day, it doesn't matter what you want to do. What only matters, is the fact if you actually did anything you wanted to, or not.

The things you do that have no explanation or reason. Are usually the things that you will find day to day are as genuine as you are. The art and creativity you seek is not going to find itself to you. If all you are doing is talking to yourself constantly about if what you are about to do is right or isn't right.

Just live, stop thinking, and just do.:\
  • NegevPro
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NegevPro polycounter lvl 4
    I think other people in this thread have given some good comments. One thing to keep in mind is that you probably need to show yourself some results in order to convince yourself that you aren't falling behind. I'd suggest worrying less about finishing something quickly, and instead, try to focus on just finishing something. You'll learn more by taking projects to completion and you'll likely get a motivation boost since you'll have some cool things to show others and look back at.

Sometimes when I don't feel like doing anything art related, I take a look at some of the screenshots of some assets I made to show to my teammates and it leads to me wanting to out-perform myself because I know I could do a better job the next time.

Additionally, it's important to also spend time creating things that interest you, things that don't have to be work related. If you like making dragons, then make some dragons!
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    It is not the best approach to getting out of the rut 'so to speak' but, jump out of whatever is bugging you if your disliking whatever your working on go jump on something not so complicated to get your juices flowing again.

I just did this, this week and i am glad i am sort of jumping around (granted my attention is not on one thing) alone but i can give what i want to give my time and attention and have two projects working towards the completion goal.

If i work on one more than the other then that is the one i should finish, might not work for everyone but it works for me most of the times, other times it means I need to get out and try to look for something interesting to do apart from Art.

This has been mentioned countless times but as long as you keep a lingering thought about art while your out you'll find situations or objects/environments that spark your interest again and you'll be excited to get back into it.

Not going to lie though i start missing working on my 3D and just stepping out starts the fire again cause i am not in front of my pc doing it and when i am out the itch comes on strong.

^Has been said but perhaps something i mention helps, I get that all the time man, fight the good fight.
    Sometimes it is good to just model something or whatever you enjoy most about this 3D stuff, texture unwrapping do it, just do it. Then come back to your new project, some say fight though it and you'll be happy you did, sometimes that is true other times i feel like crap sitting there just getting worse, so it happens man.

Btw, couple of threads like this also.
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks for all your thoughts guys :) I feel much better after reading them.
    The best place to start. Is to where you need to stop. The issue you have, is that you think way too much about too much. Stop doing that, and start doing the do.
    Thanks Matt, yes that makes a lot of sense. I do tend to over-think a lot, which does get in the way of creating stuff. I think I've been beating myself up too much. I've always found my internal critic to be vital, but perhaps he's getting a bit unruly! :)
    I'd suggest worrying less about finishing something quickly, and instead, try to focus on just finishing something.
    Thanks man, yeah that's a good point! After having such restricted platform constraints with work, I kinda wanted to prove to myself that I could still produce something nice and up-to-date very quickly, but that wasn't the case it seems. I didn't really approach it realistically. I'll take my time and just try and complete something. Thanks :)
    It is not the best approach to getting out of the rut 'so to speak' but, jump out of whatever is bugging you if your disliking whatever your working on go jump on something not so complicated to get your juices flowing again.
    Yes, this is a really good idea. Focusing on several simpler assets would really help I think. I'll give it a try :)
    This has been mentioned countless times but as long as you keep a lingering thought about art while your out you'll find situations or objects/environments that spark your interest again and you'll be excited to get back into it.

Not going to lie though i start missing working on my 3D and just stepping out starts the fire again cause i am not in front of my pc doing it and when i am out the itch comes on strong.
    Sounds brilliant. Hopefully I'll be able to rekindle that feeling :D I'll take a look at those other threads you mentioned. Thanks man :)

Thanks again for your thought guys, I really appreciate it :)
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Yes I struggled with creativity once, but after awhile it went away, now I more struggle with a lack of time.

you keep chipping away and it tends to pass.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Oh and failing isn't struggling, failing is good for learning, learn to fail fast and learn from your failures.

Idleness is the death of creativity keep moving creating, thinking and doing.
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks very much guys, some wise words there :)
    I would just put in the hours you're paid to work, and set aside time to do your own projects so you can grow artistically and eventually get a gig that challenges and satisfies you more
    Thanks Dustin, yeah that sounds great. I've always had a nagging guilt with the whole thing. I think I felt that if I didn't give the work my full attention, it'd suffer for it. But I guess the work would actually benefit if I allowed myself time to work separately on my own projects.
    Oh and failing isn't struggling, failing is good for learning, learn to fail fast and learn from your failures.

Idleness is the death of creativity keep moving creating, thinking and doing.
    Thanks ExcessiveZero, those are good points! :)
  • Ruz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I often find that doing work that is well paid helps my creativity a lot:)
    nothing like the green folding stuff to motivate a chap
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Working from home is actually very challenging. Last April of 2013, I took a remote contract job working from home and at first, I was on cloud nine man. I got to leave the job that I was at for 5 years, that I was totally burned out on...to do something that I absolutely love to do, from home...in my underwear! But this past December, I hit this huge wall and felt the same feeling of being isolated and how you put it, being left behind. I applied to a few on-site full time jobs, even knowing my portfolio wasn't where I wanted it to be, just to cast a net out there to see what type of bites I got. I wasnt expecting to hear back, it was probably more so desperation to be honest. I got 3 different interviews and even 1 on-site interview that I thought I nailed...only to find out I didnt. That was like the knock-out punch man. It stung for a little while, but I slowly realized...that this personal failure will only make me stronger for the right job that comes along. Not only that, but it will make me stronger as a person. I think I gained more from that experience than I would have if I did receive the job offer. It made me realize just how bad I want this, and how badly I want to be better. It's given me that extra push that I think I was lacking before.

Here recently, I took a 3-6 month long contract job doing graphic design work on site, just to get out of the house. I didnt need to take it from a financial stand point, but more to just be around people again. I never took into account that being isolated locked up in a room working on art could make me weirder than I already am...but it did! It's not necessarily a bad thing, but I honestly just missed being around people. And I really hate that feeling of being in a social situation and I just go into my shell just because I'm so use to keeping to myself now. I'm normally a pretty social dude, so it was a very annoying feeling.

In regards to losing that creative touch, I think we've all been there at some point. In my case, I found myself pressing way too hard. I forgot why I like to create art to begin with, instead I found myself creating stuff to get a job. That was my own personal failure to recognize this at the time, but looking back on it I can see it clearly. Also, I recognized that there was this hump that I couldn't get over with my work. I decided to take a digital figure sculpting class with Scott Eaton, to keep pushing forward. I also reached out to a character artist on this board that I really admire and respect for crits on my work and he was generous enough to rip it to shreds. I know by reaching out more and by taking this class it will help with the creative process down the road. Sorry I'm not able to give you any specific pointers or real solid advice like others have given, but just thought by sharing my own personal struggles that it might help you identify yours better. Whatever you do, good luck and just try to remain focused!
  • Damian Nachman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damian Nachman polycounter lvl 6
    My biggest advice for you is to stop thinking for a second, and breath.
    It may sound like a cliche, but just go out and have some fun.
    You can't force creativity. Infact, trying to force it will only lead to more frustration.
    Having fun 2 hours a day, will make the other 22 hours way more productive.
    Try branching out, and learn new stuff. You are already at a point where you have job, and can probably afford stuff like traveling, photography, or what not.
    Take advantage of that.
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Wow! Thanks for your thoughts on this again guys, it's really helped me out. I feel much better already! :)

NyneDown, I can fully relate to that man. When I first landed it, I considered it a dream job. I could just pick the hours I wanted, and I only needed to travel a few feet to get to work. Although trying to keep the creative juices flowing while there's no one around to ask questions, work or communicate with is very difficult it seems. I guess it was bound to take it's toll on me. A few of my friends have told me that I'm lucky that I can work from home, but they don't realize just how mentally taxing it can be after a while.

I think I took a naive view towards it if I'm honest. I was kinda convincing myself that the work is the most important, and the more effort I put in, the more I'll get out of it, which I suppose is true, but in doing so, I sacrificed my own projects, that I needed in order to grow and learn. Which eventually caused the work to suffer because I wasn't learning anything. So what I think I've learned from this that it's just as important to do stuff for myself. At least when working remotely.
    In regards to losing that creative touch, I think we've all been there at some point. In my case, I found myself pressing way too hard. I forgot why I like to create art to begin with, instead I found myself creating stuff to get a job.
    Yeah I hear that. I think the problem with me is that I felt as though I was working to gain acceptance, in a way. I felt as though I was lagging behind the current generation, and when I saw what others were making, I said to myself "right, I'm gonna show them that I can do that too!". Well, it didn't work out as easily as I thought, and more crucially, I wasn't trying to create it for the right reasons. I should've been creating it for me - no one else. I was so focused on reaching a certain point, that I wasn't paying attention to what was in front of me.
    Try branching out, and learn new stuff. You are already at a point where you have job, and can probably afford stuff like traveling, photography, or what not.
    Take advantage of that.
    Yeah all good points, thanks man :)

Guys, just wanted to say that you've really helped me to see things clearer. Dare I say that I do feel like I've been reinvigorated over the past couple of days :) I started a new project yesterday just for myself. Only a little one, but just something to get my teeth into and learn a few new things. Already I feel better about the whole thing :)

Thanks again for all your help!
  • NyneDown
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11
    Sometimes it really does help to get it off your chest and air it all out. Glad you gained a little more perspective though :)

I didnt realize what I wrote up above looked like a wall of text until just now...haha, my bad! But definitely, create art for yourself and I think everything else will naturally fall into place.
  • katana
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Interesting topic.

I'm struggling with the same thing, but in my case I am also nearly out of money and haven't been able to find even a part time non-art related job.

I have also been suffering from panic/anxiety attacks as well as the feeling of being left behind and cut off from the world as I have been working from the apartment or a shared studio i was renting for awhile.

This past week, I havent gotten much drawing done as well as dealing with a skin infection on the left side of my face which crept up over the weekend (on antibiotics)

It's depressing, but I know that some how I will suffer through it.

Five years of doing nothing but pursuing Illustration, going to school and caring for my mother in her last year of life, has not helped my marketability.

However, one thing does help and that is getting out of the apartment and going for a 45 minute walk. I live in a town of 20k people. It's a mixture of sub-urban and farm lots for a local grocer. Very peaceful.

It helps.

I also have been reading, drinking more water and eating less, in order to gain more control over my overall health.

While all this is going on, I decided to make an Art Goal to be completed by the end of the year. Something manageable.

Yes we all suffer from lack or doubt of creativity, as it's too late for me to go back and retrain as something more secure, I have no choice but to soldier onward.

Good luck.
  • Mike8917
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sometimes it really does help to get it off your chest and air it all out. Glad you gained a little more perspective though :)
    Indeed it is! Cheers man :)
    I'm struggling with the same thing, but in my case I am also nearly out of money and haven't been able to find even a part time non-art related job.

I have also been suffering from panic/anxiety attacks as well as the feeling of being left behind and cut off from the world as I have been working from the apartment or a shared studio i was renting for awhile.
    Sorry to hear that Katana, that sounds really rough.

Yeah I've been going for walks more now too. Does wonders just to get out for a bit of fresh air :)

Yeah those are all good points. I'm still not there on the diet front yet though, everything's too easy and accessible :D

One important thing that I've learned recently is to not beat myself up too much. I've always had a knack for being too self-critical I think. Especially where my work's concerned. It's useful to an extent, but there can come a point where it can become destructive. I guess it's all about recognizing when it's practical and when it's not I suppose.

Good luck with the art goal :)