Home General Discussion

A good alternative to Topogun?

interpolator
Offline / Send Message
Zack Maxwell interpolator
I'm interested in using Topogun for creating cleaner topology. ZBrush retopology tools are adequate, but for me at least they have a habit of producing sloppily organized and extraneous vertices, with weak tools for fine-tuning them.
Problem is, Topogun hasn't been updated in like two years, and their forums are dead. Aside from porting it over to Mac and Linux, it seems to have practically been abandoned. I don't know how well their features have held out so far, or how well they can be expected to hold out in the future, and it seems like a hell of a gamble. At the very least their ugly UI could seriously use an overhaul.

If that is no longer so great an option, does anyone know of a solid alternative for good retopology?
Would it be better to just focus on delving into the more elaborate retopology tools of ZBrush and trying to get that right?

Replies

• Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    Zremesher with curves brush is fairly capable but still needs finalizing in max. Can't beat good old vertex pushing heh.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I've tried several apps for retopo but always come back to 3d coat for it, does a really good job. There's also Maya quad draw if you happen to use maya :)
  • skylebones
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Like torch, I always go back to 3dcoat. That program is seriously the best bang for your buck.
  • Fingus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fingus polycounter lvl 11
    3DCoat is my go to program for Retopo, and it's UV and texture tools are also very robust.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I had heard before that 3DCoat was one of the best UV mapping tools, too. It just seemed like overkill to get it for just that. If I'm also using it for retopology though, it does seem more reasonable... I'll look into that.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    3DCoat is also nice for hand painting textures or fixing seams as well. It's kind of a Jack of all trades app.
  • Brandon.LaFrance
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brandon.LaFrance polycount sponsor
    Blender is actually a pretty decent option for retopology. Granted, I don't have any experience with Topogun and 3DCoat, so I can't say how it compares.
  • unit187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    I use Maya tools for retopo. It is good enough for me, but I guess it is not the most robust retopo tool on the market.
  • Minato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minato polycounter lvl 5
    Max's PolyDraw tools are actually pretty good, if you are a Max user get to know the 'Step Build', 'Extend' and 'Optimize' modes in polydraw, very powerful tools, along with a symmetry modifier(if the model is symmetrical), you can do a very fast retopo.
  • Pabs
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pabs polycounter lvl 11
    +1 3dcoat, because i am able to use zbrush navigation inside 3dcoat.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    ZRemesher or 3D Coat.
  • Minato
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Minato polycounter lvl 5
    I really like ZRemesher, but a lot of times it gives one of those endless loops(for the lack of a better phrase), even when using guides, a bit off topic but does anybody know how one can avoid those?
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Try Alt+Zremesher for a different retopo algorithm. I think either way it requires some clean up.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    3D Coat or Topogun for me :)
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    At first I was amazed at zremesher, but then I tried to use that model in production.

3dcoat is great, but if you already have Maya 2014 at your studio that has some decent tools for retopo too.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Huh... 3DCoat's sculpting is impressive too, with the ability to ignore topology completely during it. You can create some stuff in seconds that borders impossible in ZBrush...
    I'm hoping it wasn't a mistake to get ZBrush, if 3DCoat is potentially better at... everything? And a lot cheaper.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    Huh... 3DCoat's sculpting is impressive too, with the ability to ignore topology completely during it. You can create some stuff in seconds that borders impossible in ZBrush...
    I'm hoping it wasn't a mistake to get ZBrush, if 3DCoat is potentially better at... everything? And a lot cheaper.

Nope, I love 3D Coat but it's sculpting isn't as good as zbrush, plus you have Dynamesh in Zbrush.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Grimwolf wrote: »
    I'm hoping it wasn't a mistake to get ZBrush, if 3DCoat is potentially better at... everything?

You're about to get pelted with rotten tomatoes :P
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nope, I love 3D Coat but it's sculpting isn't as good as zbrush, plus you have Dynamesh in Zbrush.

That makes me feel a lot better :D
  • ivanzu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ivanzu polycounter lvl 10
    I find blender to be very good.
  • oglu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oglu polycount lvl 666
    i switched from 3dcoat to maya.. the latest retopo tools in maya are relly good...
  • TAN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    This is a question I have been recently asking people about.

I am currently trying ZRemesher+Max. Sometimes ZRemesher outdoes itself and gives very great retopology. Especially in clothing. But sometimes you just have to make your retopo in Max because ZRemesher can not understand simply geometries like arms, hands and fingers.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    I think zremesher is great for some hard surfaces and most clothing. It gives you the topology that you need, even usable in production. The trick is to know when to use it, and when to do it by hand.
  • Damytria
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Damytria polycounter lvl 7
    Here's another vote for 3D Coat! It's pretty fast and easy to use, and it's extremely easy to customize the UI.

I have my vert, edge, face and clear selection keys hot keyed, along with extrude edge hot keyed.

I also like how you can retopo in layers, so if you're working on say the legs of a character and need to hide the torso, you can do so by toggling said layer.

I also like how 3D Coat warns you (most of the time) if it's about to crash.
  • silvershrimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    +1 for 3DCoat. Faster, needs lower specs and a better keyboard shortcuts than Topogun. Also does pretty good unwrapping.
    I like Zremesh then take it to 3DCoat to tidy up.
  • seth.
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    seth. polycounter lvl 14
    yeah the need to quit the tool and go back into it so often hacked me off with topogun, I have found the nex integration in maya 2014 to be a bit busted....default left click as relax not tweak? One of the guys at work uses modo for retopo and that does look pretty damn interesting, but I am still a fan of freeform tools in max for retopo.
  • moof
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof polycounter lvl 7
    I'm with the 3d coat crowd.

Not only does it retopo extremely well... you can poly paint with it, and for the price you're getting quite a lot with the 3d coat package.

It does weird me out that it's made by hardcore christians or something trying to spread the word of god (look at the 'about' button in the program) but damn they can make some good tools.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    moof wrote: »
    It does weird me out that it's made by hardcore christians or something trying to spread the word of god (look at the 'about' button in the program) but damn they can make some good tools.
    ROFL, Holy Hell, you're right!
    http://3d-coat.com/company/our-voice/
    They even have a 3d model of some saint to top it all off. That's insane.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    moof wrote: »

It used to be worse, here's the old statement.
    Making such powerful tool for Artists as 3D-Coat we realize that it could be used for creating beautiful works of art that would inspire people and bring them joy, or works that would produce evil, for example, rouse dissolute thoughts breaking families, popularize hatred and disgrace people. We are Christians. Jesus Christ said, "It is inevitable that stumbling blocks come, but woe to him through whom they come!” (Luke 17,1-2) God concerns hatred to a murder and lust as adultery. We're highly worried about level of morality in our society when depravity often becomes a norm of life. That's why as the program creators we ask you to consider respect to us and our principles with which, we suppose, may agree not only Christians but also everyone who are worried about society's moral state. Frankly speaking it is from within, out of our heart proceed evil thoughts and sexual immorality. And often we can not control all this stuff with ourselves. We found that Christ really helps us if we are honest and give Him our heart.

As 3D-Coat creators we ask you not to use the program for making pictures which would increase vices, especially pictures that would provoke dissolute thoughts. We all have responsibility before God and before mankind for everything we're doing. Do we make this world better?

We can not (and don't want!) control your activity. That is a request and not a legal demand. We completely realize that many people may dislike the request placed on the official web site and that it may cause less selling. However, our conscience demand is more important for us than our income.

Respectfully yours, Pilgway staff.

I just want to tell you that our team consist of people who are christians and it is written under download button such restrictions on the use of 3D-Coat:

The 3D-Coat software should not be used in the production of any lewd or obscene materials, as well as any products which propagandize hatred against people. We understand that we are not able to monitor everything created with 3D Coat, but we remind you about your responsibility before God.

As well it is written in our license.

I saw your gallery and it is my pesonal opinion that it has obscene materials. Frankly speaking I do not judge you but I am sad. Really we do not want 3DC to be used in the production of such materials. God saved me from my corruption and I know that He may save you as well if you wants.

May God bless and help you

It now reads
    We realize a powerful tool like 3D-Coat could be used to create beautiful works of art to inspire and bring joy, or works intended to spread evil by, for example, rousing dissolute thoughts and hurting families, or spreading hatred and denigrating people, provoking aggression. As a mostly Christian team, we cite Jesus Christ, who says, "It is inevitable that stumbling blocks come, but woe to him through whom they come!" (Luke 17,1-2) God's law treats hatred as murder and lust as adultery, and we are worried about the fate of a society in which depravity is often the norm. That's why, as the creators of 3D-Coat, we ask you consider and respect our principles, which we suppose are not unique to Christians but held also by many others concerned about society's moral state.

To be sure, evil thoughts and sexual immorality issue from within, from one's heart, and are in part beyond one's control. We have found Christ really helps with this when we are honest and give Him our hearts.

Nevertheless, as the creators of 3D-Coat, we ask you not use this program to create works promoting vice, images that intended to provoke dissolute thoughts or hatred against others. We believe we are each responsible for everything we do and must ask ourselves whether we better this world or make it worse. Let us endeavor to use our creativity to better ourselves and our society.

We cannot--and do not want to!--control your creative activities. This is a personal appeal and not a legal demand. We realize some people may be offended by this appeal, which could impact sales, but our conscience demands it of us. Thank you for understanding.

Respectfully yours,

The Staff of Pilgway

It might be fun to do a 3D Coat lewd, obscene, or blasphemy art jam or contest...
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Quality or not, that does not seem like a stable basket to place your eggs in. They could halt all updates and distribution tomorrow just because they got tired of people using it to make "non-Christian" things.
  • JedTheKrampus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    As long as the guys keep getting paid, I don't think 3D-Coat is going anywhere.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    It's not like the software requires an always on internet connection.
  • Michael Knubben
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I also vouch for 3dcoat, although I fear for the rapture.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Kinda makes me think of what Modo users are like - they claim they've seen the light, try their best to convert you and if you say your program is better... they threaten to kill you :/
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    Now I just use the graphite tools in Max.

Also worth checking out Rappa Tools

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLmuU-OnSiI

or Wrapit

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-5XvqX8TQs

...for modeling/retopology, both pretty handy for Max users.
  • Zack Maxwell
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know, I knew ZBrush's retopology tools were flawed, but I only realized today just how bad they are.
    I was having some issues with my exported files, so as a test I made a simple sphere with a flat texture.
    Except when I started trying to auto-retopologize a low-poly version (I was testing my retopology method as well), it turned out to be borderline impossible. For a simple sphere primitive.
    It kept pinching, twisting, and getting weird points and holes no matter what I did.
    If the auto tools can't retopologize a freakin' sphere, how could you trust them with anything?
    I'm gonna start trying my hand at using Maya for retopology for now.
  • PolyHertz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PolyHertz polycount lvl 666
    I use a combination of 3DCoat and Max. 3Dcoats retopo tools aren't the most streamlined and have a few issues I wish would get fixed, but overall its quite competent.
    Modos retopology tools are good too if you have access to that.
  • supermoby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Don't waste your time with Topogun. It's a good program that has been abandoned. Unless you do a lot of jobs with simple topo, you'll hit your head against a problem sooner or later that will drive you crazy. I have a mesh started in Topogun that got all screwed up because of glitches. On top of glitches you also have some quirks you have to adjust to - like selecting the right verts because it shows you the verts on the reverse side and you can find it hard to know which is which. Tubes is also buggy... Groups got deleted and it crashes quite a lot. Verts also "fly" off the reference. So you end up with a vert in outer space.

I think Topogun was quite good for its time, but the fact that it has been left to "die" shows and unless you want to get yourself a ticket for a sinking ship, you'd better look elsewhere. Exception being if its developer comes back from his sabbatical and gives us Topogun 3 with all these problems worked out.
  • Suba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Suba polycounter lvl 5
    Gonna have to learn 3D Coat.

I use TopoGun and it is really great but I never considered it might be a problem since the software was abandonned.
  • Lamont
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    I like 3D Coat. UV tools are a hoot as well.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    +1 3D Coat again. Does Topogun still develop the software? 3D Coat guys are adding new stuff monthly.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes polycounter lvl 10
    I use Zremesher. The important thing is to be careful not to have those edge rings that spiral endlessly around the model. So use the curve guides and also use Zremesher command more than once to get it as clean as possible.

Then I take it to blender and select edge rings, then delete them. Then I select the corners of the model and line them up, my selecting the edges and scaling them along the axis to 0. This will get rid of the gooey looking edges that tend to meander a bit.

It still takes time to retopo with Zremesher, but overall I find it just more relaxing than the old fashion way which still feels like a puzzle to me and I'm not so good at puzzles.
  • supermoby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I have a topogun license but right now I'm looking into 3D Coat. I've also heard good things about Modo's topo tools, although the price is a big drawback considering I'd be using it mainly for retopo work.
  • supermoby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pancakes wrote: »
    I use Zremesher. The important thing is to be careful not to have those edge rings that spiral endlessly around the model. So use the curve guides and also use Zremesher command more than once to get it as clean as possible.

Then I take it to blender and select edge rings, then delete them. Then I select the corners of the model and line them up, my selecting the edges and scaling them along the axis to 0. This will get rid of the gooey looking edges that tend to meander a bit.

It still takes time to retopo with Zremesher, but overall I find it just more relaxing than the old fashion way which still feels like a puzzle to me and I'm not so good at puzzles.

I honestly don't think Zremesher will cut it for animation or anything that is supposed to deform in a professional way. You really need granular control. Many people paint weights and paint weights... and then paint the weights some more when it's really the topology that's fighting them. I need to place my verts at specific places. I find that the approximation of "auto" tools leads to crazy headaches down the line when rigging and animating... but maybe someone out there will prove me different and get WDAS like results out of it.

I'll say this though, it does provide a great start.
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    supermoby wrote: »
    I honestly don't think Zremesher will cut it for animation or anything that is supposed to deform in a professional way. You really need granular control. Many people paint weights and paint weights... and then paint the weights some more when it's really the topology that's fighting them. I need to place my verts at specific places. I find that the approximation of "auto" tools leads to crazy headaches down the line when rigging and animating... but maybe someone out there will prove me different and get WDAS like results out of it.

I don't paint weights with Z remesher, I find it makes it more complicated to edit it later in blender. All I do is make sure the edgeloops are mostly rational and then I take that to blender and select them one at a time to delete the ones I don't want. I just see the Zremesher result as a blank canvas to work from.
  • supermoby
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sorry my mistake - didn't mean to say painting weights with Zremesher :)

You're right - it is a blank canvas from which you can start.

I just find it easier to do it from scratch. Maybe I just don't know how to use Zremesher to its full potential. Is there a possibility of setting exact points?
  • Pancakes
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    supermoby wrote: »
    Sorry my mistake - didn't mean to say painting weights with Zremesher :)

You're right - it is a blank canvas from which you can start.

I just find it easier to do it from scratch. Maybe I just don't know how to use Zremesher to its full potential. Is there a possibility of setting exact points?

I'm "self-taught" modeler. And the first "tutorial" I saw of modeling was this guy who was just making up an ogre like character with poly-to-poly technique, without reference.

I really picked up some bad habits from watching that, because it shaped my entire approach to modeling from that point on. The confusion resulting from my own bad habits is what leads me to try to avoid retopo by hand as much as possible.

You're right it's probably best to do it by hand.
  • perfect_paradigm
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    perfect_paradigm polycounter lvl 7
    The Contours Retopology Tool for Blender looks really nice. I wish Maya would get something like this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RR06wjt2rs&list=UU9VayT7q3pQ7tdF-TG4Q0yQ
  • Alphavader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    If you have Maya you can use Frotools-Retopo - quite handy tool and
    very similar to topogun.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WH951lx_reo"]froRetopo 3.4 - Retopology script for Maya - YouTube[/ame]
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I like the polytools in Max for retopo. Not as specialised as Topogun or 3dcoat but does the job well and you don't have to switch apps and purchase another license.