Home General Discussion

If you suddenly had the urge to give up being a games artist....

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
..what would you consider doing instead?

I'm always curious about this as I know quite a few artists often decide not to pursue a game art career after a few years and move into other fields completely unrelated (I think there was one artist who decided to leave after 10 years and become an electrician).

I'm just wondering, what other fields would you consider and why? (for example, more stability, job security, lack of enthusiasm for game art anymore, etc).

Replies

• mats effect
    Video Production, have a bit of a background in it from a college course I took for two years, somthing I have always enjoyed.
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Man, I love game art but the one thing that obviously makes me think twice is the job stability. At least, I think more about what kind of art will sustain my career longer and what I'm capable of doing. As much as I would love to join a AAA studio, the odds of making a successful game and not getting laid off are just so damn low these days. I actually started in biochemistry so I guess I could try that again though I know I have forgotten pretty much everything I learned at uni. I think real estate would also interest me. One thing I'm sure of is that I don't want to be a 50 year old character artist wondering if I'm gonna get laid off in the next year all the time. No job is truly secure but the gaming industry is just horrid these days.
  • Aga22
    Offline / Send Message
    Aga22 polycounter lvl 11
    move to an island in the aegean and rent scooters. or beach bar
  • Vertrucio
    Offline / Send Message
    Vertrucio greentooth
    Freelance concept and 3D artist for anything, well, assuming I'm good enough by that point.

But, also an independent tabletop game creator, mainly miniature games. The tabletop sector is still growing despite the competition.
  • moose
    Offline / Send Message
    moose polycount sponsor
    write, illustrate, and produce children's books
    play more violin
  • uncle
    Baking Bread, of course.
  • SuperFranky
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    Writer, game designer or something like that. But there's no stability there either. But there are a lot of jobs within 3d industry, I'm sure I'll be able to switch to something else if I want to.
  • Fomori
    Offline / Send Message
    Fomori polycounter lvl 12
    Get away from the desk and do wood work. Maybe be a carpenter. But that's something that would take years of training as I am inexperienced.

If I was desperate for something, maybe long distance truck/lorry driving. I enjoy driving and seeing new sights. Job satisfaction might be low though.
  • unit187
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    Not unrelated kind of job, but anyways, I couldn't stand it anymore and I have actually left 3d art per se and I have switched back to level design. Oddly enough, people say that you should look at what you liked when you were a child and it will be a hint to what you would enjoy doing as a career. I was designing maps and mods for years as a kid, hehe.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    write science fiction books, though i'm barely literate so I dunno how that would work
  • stabbington
    Offline / Send Message
    stabbington polycounter lvl 10
    Probably gone into music properly and then try and set up a dog rescue, which is still the long-term plan once I've made my game-dev millions.

Sigh.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I had another offer from a college for something related to Business.

I can't remember the specifics of the program, but I think it involved typing up spreadsheets for companies. I have no idea where that would have taken me.

I'm still glad I'm going with the game art route instead.
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    farming has always had a particularly privileged spot reserved in my mind, though i doubt my romanticized image of farming is anything like what a real life successful farm is like...
  • cptSwing
    Offline / Send Message
    cptSwing polycounter lvl 11
    I want to keep using the tools of our trade without actually being part of our trade (because of the overtime, the chaotic project management, the below-average pay, the lack of job stability)..

..but most related fields are the same ;-)
  • Fwap
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
    Start a comic book store/arcade.
    Run MTG games, and have rooms for DnD.
    A boy can dream though.
  • RyanB
    Baj Singh wrote: »
    I think there was one artist who decided to leave after 10 years and become an electrician).

Hey that's me...I think...

Just finished my fourth year of school and wrote my electrician IP exam three weeks ago. Passed. That means I will soon be a Red Seal electrician qualified to work anywhere in Canada. I will also have a Certificate of Apprenticeship which is recognized in many countries and will allow me to move there for work (probably won't, but nice to have). Also get some other goodies. I also had a diploma in electronics prior to working as a games artist which pairs nicely with my trades qualifications. Also getting Fire Alarm technician certification (tons of fire alarm work out there) and in a year will attempt the FSR exam (allows me to pull permits as an electrician).

We're living in a golden age for games artists. You never have to give up being an artist because the tools are so inexpensive and there are many options to work independently. I make a steady side income by selling assets on the Unity asset store. And because I don't work in the AAA games industry currently, I am free to work on anything and not have it claimed by an employer. I have nothing against the AAA industry but I have a family and don't want to move them around every four or five years.

I'm up late tonight because I just submitted my first app to the Apple app store. It's a very simple app that allows people to see my stuff running directly on their iPhone and spawn particle systems where they touch the screen. Done in Unity using Playmaker and NGUI. But it is also a first step to making my own games. The long-term goal is to be completely self-employed doing a mix of electrical and games.
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Been thinking about this for awhile now... :(

- Apart from playing MMOs all days, and/or after doing that for awhile, probably carpentry. It looks fun to me.
    - Writing sci-fi if I can bring myself to finish at least a book.
    - Learn C++ and make my own craps.
    - Already tried teaching ballroom dances. It's not too bad, but stability isn't there either.
    - Web Design, maybe. Had done some of that before.
    - No idea...
  • D4V1DC
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    RB is on a money track, I've seen the in's and out's of the electrical trades and boy how much money gets tossed around is crazy.
    Let's just say 3 Digits if your an owner of a company, before that if you can preform 1-5 yr tests same amount, perhaps just not as high.

I would hate to ask what brought this on? (Besides the obvious and countless lay offs.)

Choice:
    Otherwise i'd say try to be an owner/boss then a worker is a desire i have, i wouldn't be a d-ck boss either but wouldn't take slacker bs either, i mean a business is only as good as it's workers. Not to point fingers but i wouldn't take them lightly either as they are replaceable as some "companies", have.

Why:
    Everything goes through your hands and you know what is going on, especially if you hire the right people, yes this is a trial and error process though. You can be 100% honest if you choose to be, you give out the pay checks, you control the outcome of the company as well as it's direction.

Someone mentioned bread and that is true though i am not so certain as I've seen how upstarts get taken for 30% of whatever profits they make a year, so keep that in mind when starting your own business, might not matter if they make a lot but it does when you don't make so much.
  • Shadownami92
    Offline / Send Message
    Shadownami92 polycounter lvl 7
    I think I'd probably want to run a tavern or cafe or sorts. Make small food plates and nice drinks to go with a relaxed setting. Maybe do some wood work and do some interesting interior decorating.
  • ExcessiveZero
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    farming has always had a particularly privileged spot reserved in my mind, though i doubt my romanticized image of farming is anything like what a real life successful farm is like...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pDTiFkXgEE
  • TAN
    Offline / Send Message
    TAN polycounter lvl 12
    I have degree in Mechanical Engineering, and I am having my Masters Degree at simulation right now so :

A-) Join the Defence Industry and work on experimental tech ( at U.S. or E.U.)

B-) Work on robotics and bipedal robots ( at Japan)

C-) Join a multinational program for energy or drive components ( at anywhere around the globe)

Hey, an engineer can dream big, no ? :D
  • PogoP
    Offline / Send Message
    PogoP polycounter lvl 10
  • Alphavader
    Offline / Send Message
    Alphavader polycounter lvl 11
    I asked this a couple month ago to the crunch cast guys - (they didnt discuss it)
    what do you do if you get laid off and you have wife and kids
    or other responsibilities. (for jumping to country and country )
    There tons of fields you could work in but ill stick with:

- Programming / C++ or Webdevelopment
    - teaching
    - Adverts
    - Print
    - visual development - architecture/media stuff
    - start your own ideas (a shop or something in the mobile sector)

... mcdonalds

• Lamont
    Offline / Send Message
    Lamont polycounter lvl 15
    moose wrote: »
    write, illustrate, and produce children's books
    play more violin
    Yup. This is what I would do...
  • Matt Fagan
    Offline / Send Message
    Matt Fagan polycounter lvl 9
    Work at a surf shop and shape surf boards.
  • JacqueChoi
    Offline / Send Message
    JacqueChoi polycounter
    Depends on the context.

If my wife makes enough money to support us, and we need one of us to take care of any future kids we have, then I'd probably be the one to stay home.

If I stay in games in some capacity, I'd like to be an owner of a small indie studio... (not sure if that counts).

If the work/funding dries up in my area, then probably VFX or freelance, or other 3D related fields, like miltary/medical simulations, or visualization.

If I want to leave art all together, I'd probably want to open a Korean Sandwich shop or food truck (Bibimbap sandwiches are amazeballs).

I also have my foot in the door with teaching.
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    Honestly, I have no idea. I've been doing this for 12 years now and can't even imagine doing anything else. It's been a huge part of my life for so long, and I still absolutely love it! But I do have two boys to take care of, and the stability in this industry terrifies me.

In my teen years I was huge into motorcross. I painted a few helmets, I think I'd enjoy designing and painting race helmets.
  • Higuy
    Offline / Send Message
    Higuy polycounter lvl 9
    Apart from game dev/game art I've always wanted to be a teacher. Specifically, either History or English, because I like those the most!
  • NyneDown
    Offline / Send Message
    NyneDown polycounter lvl 11

I've also thought about doing this for a while for a "fall back" plan. My extended family are all farmers and I have sooOOome exposure to it, even though I've never done it on a daily basis. Actually, all I've ever done when visiting was get chased by chickens after feeding them...crazy bastards. But I actually enjoy physical labor, not so sure if I'd enjoy it as much when I'm older.

Recently, I took a part-time contract position creating artwork/logos for door mats. It's actually not too bad. Pays decently and I dont really have to deal with customers or an overly demanding boss, so it's really chill. It's something I'd consider doing full-time if I needed to. The idea of worrying about getting laid off and moving my family around just isnt appealing. We want to start a family but I just cant imagine dragging my family around state to state b/c I want to stay in the gaming industry. Seems really selfish in a way. I would reaaaLLy like to get on with a smaller gaming studio, that's always seemed like the best fit for me personally.
  • adam
    Offline / Send Message
    adam polycounter lvl 19
    Make video games.
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I'd either go back to being a musician, or being a chef again. i enjoyed both of those.
  • reedweinstock
    Offline / Send Message
    reedweinstock polycounter lvl 8
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    adam wrote: »
    Make video games.

this
  • slipsius
    Pastry chef, or teaching.
  • PixelMasher
    Offline / Send Message
    PixelMasher veteran polycounter
    I wouldnt mind getting lost doing some traveling for a while and then end up DJing on some little beach bar in thailand or something. or learning to dive and running a shitty little dive shop.
  • Mstankow
    Offline / Send Message
    Mstankow polycounter lvl 11
    Musician or Imagineer
  • StephenVyas
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    Baj Singh wrote: »
    what other fields would you consider and why? (for example, more stability, job security, lack of enthusiasm for game art anymore, etc).

Back in '06/07 when I initially left the game industry, i turned to investing to help keep me afloat.
    As well as a few freelance gigs on the side whenever they happened to pop up

The why, was more family related which resulted in a lack of enthusiasm for making Gameart.
    Shortly after my mom left my Dad, he was diagnosed with the big C. It goes without saying, that spending long hours working wasn't where I needed or wanted to be.
    Since I was the only family member around, I left Vancouver. Sold my townhouse and moved over a couple cities to take care of him for a few years.
  • skankerzero
    Work on cartoons / toys.

Become a chef.
  • Baj Singh
    Offline / Send Message
    Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
    I'd probably want to open a Korean Sandwich shop

Make the decision to open one up over here in England and i'll be your first customer. With a side of omurice :).

On topic, its quite interesting to see that the majority of answers have pretty much related to moving to another creative field as opposed to slipping into a more "white collar" role.
    Back in '06/07 when I initially left the game industry, i turned to investing to help keep me afloat.
    As well as a few freelance gigs on the side whenever they happened to pop up

The why, was more family related which resulted in a lack of enthusiasm for making Gameart.
    Shortly after my mom left my Dad, he was diagnosed with the big C. It goes without saying, that spending long hours working wasn't where I needed or wanted to be.
    Since I was the only family member around, I left Vancouver. Sold my townhouse and moved over a couple cities to take care of him for a few years.

Sorry to hear about that mate.
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
    If !(art) then program
  • Laughing_Bun
    Offline / Send Message
    Laughing_Bun polycounter lvl 15
    I think about this fairly often and never have a good answer for myself. Kinda Scary, but keeps me on track with my game stuff I suppose.

I probably would do drafting or something with architecture, especially since I could utilize at least some of my technical skills.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    Make videogames. Not just art, but the game entirely.

...doh, Adam already posted that.
  • Autocon
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    After having done this job I cant think of anything outside of 3d art/making video games I would want to do. I seriously love the fuck out of it too much to settle for anything else.

If I had to give it up I would try to become a youtube personality and make money off that to afford me to travel around the world and do photography.
  • MissMaddyTaylor
    Offline / Send Message
    MissMaddyTaylor polycounter lvl 13
    I'd want to pursue music or have my own baking company.
  • nyx702
    Yea I have thought alot about this too. I'm not entirely sure but probably woodworking/home improvement. I surprised to see how many other people have said that. I don't think I could go to work for someone else if I left games. It would have to be for something where I work for myself.
  • Skillmister
    Offline / Send Message
    Skillmister polycounter lvl 11
    Law. Ohwaitlol, that's what I'm doing
  • haiddasalami
    Offline / Send Message
    haiddasalami polycounter lvl 14
    Get a software engineering degree and hopefully get into some graphics programming.
  • Ruz
    Offline / Send Message
    Ruz polycount lvl 666
    I still love game art but haven't worked in game art for a while.
    My last full time gig was in 2007 and my last game contract was about 2 years ago.
    I switch between occasional advertising work and practicing my characters at home.
    I think from my point of view whether I am working in the industry or not I still make stuff because I enjoy it and my enjoyment for art hasn't really declined over the 25 years i have been doing it.
  • The Mad Artist
    Offline / Send Message
    The Mad Artist polycounter lvl 13
    I'd probably get back into writing, either freelance in game journalism, sports, or music. I have a background in it already, so wouldn't be hard. If not that, then bar management.
  • MeshModeler
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    graphic design