Home General Discussion

Learn Unity or stick with UDK

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
CandyStripes05 polycounter lvl 9
I'm making a scene using newly learned programs NDO and DDO. I havn't really spent much time with the scene in UDK other then for the block out and quick refresher on materials etc. I know the previewer Quixel uses is PBR and I believe that is how Unity is set up? I'm not huge into the technical side of these things, but from what I understand is Unity will have a much better representation of my scene in comparison to the previewer from DDO then UDK would correct? But I could potentially receive similar results if I start to mess around with more complex shaders in UDK?

Never used Unity so my main questions I guess are

-with the maps I generate from DDO, is setting them up in Unity pretty much as easy as in UDK?
-to get similar results as DDO (think it's Marmoset Skyshop) do I need to do further tweaking of the material to benefit from the PBR or is that just how Unity is built

This whole physical based rendering thing has me feeling so noobish right now, don't see the point of spending all that time adjusting something in DDO if it's not going to look anything like it in UDK without going crazy into complex shaders especially if Unity will yield a better result

***not trying to sounds lazy, im willing to put in the time to learn just not sure where I am best off doing that

Replies

• ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Use Unreal Engine 4 if you are already used to UDK and want to start using PBR.
  • bugo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    bugo polycounter lvl 17
    Both? They are pretty much the 2 best solutions out there atm.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys, i'll probably get UE4 then : ) didn't know it was PBR !

what is UDK called then if it doesn't use PBR?
  • LMP
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LMP polycounter lvl 13
    Thanks guys, i'll probably get UE4 then : ) didn't know it was PBR !

what is UDK called then if it doesn't use PBR?

I think it's Phong Based Shading.
  • gsokol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Unity Doesn't have a built in PBR solution yet....It does have something in Unity 5...but that isn't available quite yet. Unreal 4 is the new hotness.

As far as I know...DDO isn't quite setup for PBR-ish textures quite yet? I think thats coming with the new version.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Substance Designer and Painter currently support a PBR workflow! :)
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    If you're looking to highlight the graphics of a particular model or scene, I would probably stick to Unreal. As much as I enjoy Unity, Unreal is better optimized for handling high-end graphics, and showcasing game art. Unity's strengths are in flexibility and rapid prototyping.
  • Marshkin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Marshkin polycounter lvl 9
    I'd also recommend Uneral 4. With the new changes, and how well preview works in the editor, I'm finding I can test and iterate a lot faster then I could in UDK3 or Unity.
    and PBR really allows you to push your materials further with less time invested. (real time reflections are wonderful!)
  • Richard Kain
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Richard Kain polycounter lvl 18
    There's also the issue of licensing. While Unity has a quite respectable free version, some of the more advanced graphical features are gated behind the Pro version of the software. And you have to pony up a decent chunk of change before you can access Unity Pro.

While Unreal Engine 4 comes with a monthly subscription, that monthly subscription is very reasonably priced (just $19 USD per month) and provides you unfettered access to pretty much everything. If you are using the engine regularly to showcase your ongoing work, that fee is well worth the cost.

I personally use Unity, but I am much more focused on prototyping, tool development, and experimenting with gameplay. I never find myself needing any of Unity's more advanced features. (let alone UE4) For a tinkerer such as myself, Unity free is the bee's knees. For a high-end game artist, though, I think that UE4 would probably be a better fit.
  • CandyStripes05
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yea and with UE4 you can just pay for one month then cancel it and still have everything available to you minus updates, which sounds great considering my computer is in need of some major upgrades :P