Home General Discussion

GDC Portfolio Review Wrap Up

Gav
quad damage
Offline / Send Message
Gav quad damage
Hey guys,

As some of you know - I reviewed a ton of portfolios at GDC. I'm estimating around 75 (Character, Environment, and Concept) - within about 10 hours spread over 3 days. There were lots of common problems, and lots - if not all - I noticed last year as a common trend. I wanted to do this last year, and would still like to elaborate on these points, but without a workstation and having my things at home...I'm basically reduced to just a series of Tweets. I posted these yesterday, and someone was kind enough to put them into a reference image, just thought I'd share them here and either take part in a discussion, or help add to common problems.

I know a few of us were in similar situations, and I think have very similar recurring feedback to give. There were also points regarding execution that I just didn't get into because they are very specific...things like "your anatomy is wrong", "you need to decide on a light source", "the posing makes it impossible to read details", etc.

BjdnEPaIUAAcGvg.jpg:large

Cheers,
Gav

Replies

• EarthQuake
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Nice list, I just wanted to expand one with some more solid rules.

For No.2 A handful is 3-5. You can have more content, but with your portfolio imagine people only seeing the first 3-5 things on your website. Each image needs to be able to stand on it's own.
  • JordanN
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    Is no.9 a bit harsh? Like, I get the motif is not be generic but is storytelling always necessary when your purpose is just to create a scene?

At the end of the day, isn't it Art Directors that decide the narrative? I'm not sure how much input environment artists have (if any).
  • unit187
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    Damn, no. 11 starts with no capital letter, it kills perfectionist in me!
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    JordanN wrote: »
    Is no.9 a bit harsh? Like, I get the motif is not be generic but is storytelling always necessary when your purpose is just to create a scene?

At the end of the day, isn't it Art Directors that decide the narrative? Environment Artists just do what they're instructed.

I think the problem is a lot of new enviroment artists make very sterile scenes that are too plain and boring, that makes them seem detached from reality. Even a simple scene can add narrative.

What type of SciFi corridor is this? Is it a military ship? Is it new? What type of people would use this corridor? Is it supposed to be a clean corporate type, almost office building like hall way? Is it supposed to be a maintenance access corridor? Is the ship new? Has anything happened to or on the ship? How would crew members interact with the ship? How advanced is the tech? Does there need to be access panels? What about signs, alarms, air vents, lights, display panels, speakers, etc.
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Zac is correct. Even in a production environment, the AD is driving the larger scale direction. If you need to be checked on to see that you are adding minor details that have an env feel lived in, feel cohesive, feel "real", you are going to wind up being a huge pain in the ass. And - a lot of the times, you're just making shit up. That's kind of part of your job. Concepts only exist for a few key locations, or to establish an overall mood - you're going to have to fill in the blanks. That skill, imo, is a huge asset that sets "being able to model" apart from "being an environment artist"

You need to show thought, or that the choices you've made have reason. Thats why you see just a lot of "boring work" - but to me, what makes it boring, is lack of thought and the story behind the choices. Cliches can be cool, you can have a sci fi corridor that everyone has seen but it can be executed in a way that is totally unique.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I mentioned it on Twitter - I disagree with the diversify your portfolio advice.

Shouldn't you be applying to studios that have an art style you enjoy doing? I could put some modern military shooter characters into my portfolio but when it comes to the interview it will be obvious that I'm not that excited about working there.

It's hard to imagine DOTA art in an Xbox One shooter but it isn't hard to imagine it at Blizzard or many other MMO studios, mobile studios, etc...
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Thats what I mean in no.3. I had A LOT of people coming to me with a very specific style - when I see that, it tells me a) they can't do the job I would need them to and b) They probably wouldn't enjoy it anyway. Do what you want, imo, but just don't be surprised when a company that does something totally different than what seems to be in your wheelhouse doesn't like our work.

No.5 is more of a technical thing - having seen a lot of just..."everything." Life drawing, anime, poorly lit envs, half finished chaacters, etc. all in one folio.
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
    I mentioned it on Twitter - I disagree with the diversify your portfolio advice.

Shouldn't you be applying to studios that have an art style you enjoy doing? I could put some modern military shooter characters into my portfolio but when it comes to the interview it will be obvious that I'm not that excited about working there.

It's hard to imagine DOTA art in an Xbox One shooter but it isn't hard to imagine it at Blizzard or many other MMO studios, mobile studios, etc...

I think the bigger issue is that some people looking for jobs may be applying too broadly. I agree that you should only make art that you like making: be it DOTA, Blizz-like, or realistic.

The problem is showing art to studios that do not match the styles you like to make.

My suggestion is limit who you show your work to. You'll save your and other peoples' time!

I know this doesn't make a ton of sense to newer folk, but why show a bunch of hand-painted work to a studio that only makes realistic art? Why show realistic art to a studio that makes hand-painted work?

In 2009 I had massive success at GDC largely because I didn't waste my time showing my folio to studios that didn't at least partially match my work.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    Just my gripe, it seems to me that it's advice only given to artists with stylized portfolios :P

edit: I might make sense for GDC, I've never been but as an outsider it seems more AAA focused.
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Justin, maybe - I've never been on the opposite side. I've never been working on a heavily stylized game and had someone apply with a "photo real" protfolio. But I imagine it's the same. If you only have military photo sourced work and you want to apply to Riot - I can only imagine it would be the same thing?
  • evilblah
    Offline / Send Message
    evilblah polycounter lvl 18
    Great post Gav and great responses / dialog everyone. This is very helpful to me as I am about to start looking for a new job. This post is a great refresher for me as I have been out of the loop for awhile.
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Point No. 5 is maybe great for AAA, but for smaller indies, not knowing more than just one area of expertise would pretty much destroy a smaller project.
    Plus knowing lighting will pretty much sell or destroy a character or environment. Same can be said with modelling and texturing, they all relate to each other.
    I know focusing in one area is what you should do, but I don't think it should stop you from learning related areas of CG and will probably improve your focused area in the long run.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Is it safe to assume No. 2 stops intensively applying once you have a stable of shipped game art?
  • Jeremy Mitchell
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeremy Mitchell polycounter lvl 6
    Is it safe to assume No. 2 stops intensively applying once you have a stable of shipped game art?

Hopefully you're always getting better at what you do. Keep a gallery of your past works for posterity, but if you're applying for a job don't send a portfolio with everything you've done the last 5 years of your career. Send a sample of the top handful of things that say who you are right now.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    Plus or minus style specifications, right? (Just in case X person has been doing CoD for the last 4 years, DOES have work appropriate for WoW, but bad idea of course to show a lot of CoD stuff.)
  • valuemeal
    Offline / Send Message
    valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
    Indeed, I guess you are correct on this one fellow,
    it seems as though showing low poly guys was a no good move on my part.

Mid poly fellows are the way to go from now on.

Most helpful indeed.
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Offline / Send Message
    @Morris: It just depends on what you're aiming to eventually work on, I think. If you want to get hired for low-poly characters, have those in your portfolio. It's not a bad move, it's just a bad or good move depending on which studios you're applying to.
  • skankerzero
    Gav wrote: »
    Justin, maybe - I've never been on the opposite side. I've never been working on a heavily stylized game and had someone apply with a "photo real" protfolio. But I imagine it's the same. If you only have military photo sourced work and you want to apply to Riot - I can only imagine it would be the same thing?

We get 'super next gen' portfolios all the time. I just close them. It's clear to me they love doing that type of stuff. I want to hire someone that lives, breathes, stylized art. That would be reflected in their portfolio.
  • ZacD
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    We get 'super next gen' portfolios all the time. I just close them. It's clear to me they love doing that type of stuff. I want to hire someone that lives, breathes, stylized art. That would be reflected in their portfolio.

Have you seen any 'super next gen' but stylized portfolios yet? Like Rime, The Witness, Sunset Overdrive, etc. How do you feel those?
  • Sir Apple
    Offline / Send Message
    Sir Apple polycounter lvl 8
    Great points Gav.

The whole demo reel thing really bothers me when I see students work, applications and portfolios. Its even more annoying to me that teachers are constantly opposing this by shoving the "must have demo reel" motto down student artists throats - that however is another conversation :poly124:
  • MagicSugar
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Would be nice if multi-genre studios (Ubi, Bio, etc.) with incoming new IPs would at least clue prospectives in their new recruitment ads what kinda style they'd be looking up when they crew up.

Could they even just post a concept art along with the ad to signal what new franchise they're gonna make so people can tailor prep their art.
  • Frump
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    One thing I'm curious about is wireframe shots. For people who are more mid-level or senior, anyone who has done some shipped stuff, does that continue to matter? I can understand on a full character you want to see topology for deformation, but for props and stuff, how much does it really matter? That stuff is fairly rudimentary and seems to me like it would just add portfolio bloat.

I want justification to continue to be lazy and not take tons of wireframe shots. I bet I've done a lot of heinous things to pare designs down to 350 tris for Dota.
  • chrisradsby
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisradsby polycounter lvl 14
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    Would be nice if multi-genre studios (Ubi, Bio, etc.) with incoming new IPs would at least clue prospectives in their new recruitment ads what kinda style they'd be looking up when they crew up.

Could they even just post a concept art along with the ad to signal what new franchise they're gonna make so people can tailor prep their art.

It's not that hard to guess?

Just make realistic art? Grounded in reality things? Sci-Fi with realistic materials etc etc, the rest is just sci-fi or fantasy dressing.
  • Rurouni Strife
    Offline / Send Message
    Rurouni Strife polycounter lvl 10
    Wireframes are good-as are showing how you built something modular. I do think wireframes are more important for low poly studios. I was chatting with some guys from Santa Monica Studio and they suggested MOAR POLIES!!! In my scenes. But smart use of polygons is smart use of polygons.

I think what it really comes down to is process and doing what you can to show that. I heard that a lot too.
  • Jeff Parrott
    Offline / Send Message
    Jeff Parrott polycounter lvl 19
    These are great Gav! Pretty spot on for the most part. I think specialization is key.

That said I personally like to work in a lot of styles just to push myself and learn. I definitely have a preference though for paid (40 hour+ a week) work that I prefer to work in though.

As far as wireframes I've never been at a place and heard people look at a folio and go 'oh wow they only used 5 polys for the whole thing?'. It's more 'I can't believe the waste here, here, and here and why didn't they put detail here and here?'. In the end I think wireframes are fine for some things. I would suggest like props and characters.
  • Sukotto
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Yeah I've definitely seen too many schools push for demo reels of stuff that doesn't need a demo reel, which I feel carries over from the film industry. I mean logically thinking, recruiters don't like to wait and it takes much less time to look at high res pictures and analyze them than for a video to load a 20 second turntable with much less info.
  • skankerzero
    ZacD wrote: »
    Have you seen any 'super next gen' but stylized portfolios yet? Like Rime, The Witness, Sunset Overdrive, etc. How do you feel those?

Oddly no. That would be a nice change of pace.
    I think the issue there is that most schools teach that 'next gen' is realistic and 'stylized' is hand painted only. That's flat out wrong.

I would gladly consider 'super next gen' stylized portfolios.
  • Boonta
    Offline / Send Message
    Boonta polycounter lvl 13
    nice list !

i've been looking at a lot of character artists portfolios recently and one of the biggest thing ive found that hurts them is there sheer lack of anatomical understanding, notably being able to sculpt pleasing human figure. instant pass. essential skill for a character artist.
  • Lawrence Preston
    Offline / Send Message
    Lawrence Preston polycounter lvl 5
    This is the best thing I have read in a while, thank you Gavin!
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Gav, i'm going to come and bug the shit out of you over my portfolio, for like 3 hours. GDC is going to be so fun for me :D
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Bring it on, babycakes
  • Clos3d
    Offline / Send Message
    Clos3d polycounter lvl 17
    I disagree with N0.2

I like to see portfolio that are ''blogs'' like. Just don't overwhelm the page.

We even hired a guy who had his demoreel from 10years ago( he his now a senior ).
    His reel was just awfull....

I can garantee you he made a joke on it at the interview and broke the ICE right there.
  • atomander
    Offline / Send Message
    atomander polycounter lvl 7
    Really cool advice, thanks Gav! I've always wanted to attend those portfolio review workshops at GDC, and have always been busy during them.

Interesting to hear about the stylized/realistic portfolio breakdown stuff. What sort of next-gen qualities are studios that work in stylized art looking for these days? There is the famous "Stylized PBR dagger" thread, wondering if there are more examples.

I think this thread has inspired me to cut down my portfolio by at least half.
  • Gav
    Offline / Send Message
    Gav quad damage
    Closed: I think that's a pretty big gamble. Keep in mind, this summary is from reviewing, and geared towards, students breaking into the industry. A reel from 10 years ago wouldn't be possible. No.2, I really think is important because people at that point in their career will try to flood you with work that isn't exactly great. I'm guilty as well of not reducing my folio down, but I've also been doing this for over a decade. Trust me, though, reviewing portfolios for 2 days straight, you don't need to see every image that this student thinks is "okay" you only want to see the best they have to offer.

That being said, I think more often than not it's always a good idea to present your best work when applying for a job and, if you have a blog that shows your virtual history - fine. But don't line up with that at a convention and not expect eyes to glaze over.

atomander: Thanks dude! I think, because these are from Twitter, maybe I misused the term stylized. I'm not exactly sure how to put it, but, showing a clear understanding of technical breakdown is one thing (PBR can totally work on a stylized model), but then there is a level of fidelity, general interest, and ability to execute on your studio's games. i know not everyone agrees with me on this, but I know a lot of people do. If you're working ona particular type of game - most studios have some sort of "house style" - and you see someone apply who generally shows no interest in those types of games and seems to just be looking for any job, it's sort of a turn off. Plus, translating form from one to another isn't always the case, I've worked with plenty of artists who did great stylized work (like, more exagerrated proportions, more Disney like) who weren't great at creating something photo realistic, and vice versa. I'm rambling. but in the end, I think it's a multi-pronged issue. I think theres execution (at the time, this was mostly referencing last gen WoW art for people applying to something like Bungie), and tone (if it doesn't seem like something you'd be generally interested in, maybe it's not a good fit - if your portfolio is all anime characters, and I'm making Red Dead Redemption...maybe it's not meant to be?)