Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Cyberpunkish Woman(NSFW)

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
Edrice polycounter lvl 7
A little side project for my spare time. I want to make a little 2.5D brawler single level prototype. I'd call it Cyberpunch, but I'm pretty sure someone already came up with that.

The goal is to learn PBR in games, and a bit of Unity/U4. For my own artistic culture, and freelance jobs for games do pop up from time to time, so it's nice to practice those skills.

So yeah basically it's just for fun.

tvUIqRl.jpg

0Eb91Y1.jpg

5RRT6KR.jpg

The concept is pretty loose, because I can and because I like to try things as I go.

Feel free to say Hi, or say it's crap.

Replies

• LSheridan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LSheridan polycounter lvl 6
    Anatomy looks pretty solid so far. Being picky I would say from her knees to her ankles, her leg looks twisted, like her feet should be pointed inward, toward each other.
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I think the area around the upper chest to the upper arms need more work. The upper arms for example, look too skinny relative to the rest of the body. The human chest is also quite broad instead of being tight and narrow.
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for your input guys!

@LSheridan I agree. I think it's probably accurate enough but it feels wrong. So I will try to fix it.

@JordanN The front image doesn't necessarily convey volume very well. Does it still strike you as wrong in the other views.
    QWxq1Vu.jpg

The model is an anatomy study I did a while back. For me it's a the point where it's good enough. I don't think it's perfect, but I do think I could spend my whole life tweaking it, I won't be able to make it perfect. Criticize it as you should, you are probably right, and I will listen but I won't necessarily change the model. I only have an hour a day to work on this, so I wan't it to move forward. Good enough is fine by me. Of course if it's wrong I'll try to fix it.
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    Spread the arms a little more a part and tweaks everywhere. Added spheres to fix the eyes. The ears need a lot of work.

Started adding meshes to start problem solving the clothes.

zhPhdXa.jpg

MlkPAlY.jpg
  • Decoyz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rib cage needs fixing and more defined
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    Decoyz wrote: »
    Rib cage needs fixing and more defined

Volume wise or detail wise?
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    I'd say volume-wise.
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    I'll try to tweak her torso.

Tried to block things out, it doesn't look that great.
    I was really into the big shoulders for the jacket, but once in 3d it's not so great. Even the silhouette isn't cool.

I need to come up with another design.

UjOtmgO.jpg
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    Hey man, I dont think the design itself is whats the problem I think it may just be the way its being implemented. I think right now the shoulder design is just so broad that it makes the model feel more masculine than feminine right now. Actually when I saw your design i kinda reminded me of something a citizen of the capital would wear on the Hunger Games a little. I would say
    do a search for the costume designs for those movies since a lot of people in the capital seem to wear clothing that can be strong in terms of the shapes.
    Do a search for Effie specifically since she wears a lot of clothes that accentuate her shoulders like what your trying to do for your character right now. Hope that helps :poly136:
  • tristanCarter
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tristanCarter polycounter lvl 5
    I'm not sure what it is specifically, but something about the outfit right now just screams Ruby Rhod to me.

I think what might help is accenting the female curves more with her clothing. In addition, the cyberpunk style to me always seemed to be a blend of showing off skin, technology and weird clothing styles, so if you add in some form of technology that might help as well.
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    Thanks for your input guys.

I think I'm going to make changes to her body shape to be more feminine.
    I wanted to make a brawler character as well and I think it got kind of lost in this iteration. It looks more business like than brawler like.

So I'm going to try to make it work a little better. The shirt is going to change, and the jacket as well.

@praetor187 Thanks for the comment, I'll look it up.

@tristanCarter I think I will add some technology in the design, it may help sell the overall mood.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    I don't blame you for "stealing art" or anything, but those hands are VERY similar to the VALVe's characters of Left 4 dead 1 and 2 games. This is especially noticeable when looking at Zoey's hands on a t-pose like that.

Here's a quick render in Blender from the close up of a Zoey's hand. I even subdivided that triangulated game mesh and those details popped up:

VAs6ROd.jpg
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    I don't blame you for "stealing art" or anything, but those hands are VERY similar to the VALVe's characters of Left 4 dead 1 and 2 games. This is especially noticeable when looking at Zoey's hands on a t-pose like that.

Here's a quick render in Blender from the close up of a Zoey's hand. I even subdivided that triangulated game mesh and those details popped up:

VAs6ROd.jpg

that's because I used zoey’s hand as reference. I really like the relaxed pose they did. It feels natural and feminine. I posed a mannequin hand in zbrush, dynameshed it. Than I redid the topology to add it to my base mesh. I'm looking at pics of Kerrigan deserved posted at cghub by Dominic Qwek for ref for the new body type. You can use volume and shapes as ref right?

I figure as long as you sculpt or model things your self it's okay? if it bothers someone I can sculpt them in an another stance.
  • FourtyNights
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    FourtyNights polycounter
    Well, with that kind of method you described it's totally alright. So yeah, as long as you've made it completely by yourself, it's acceptable. Anyway, that hand is very well sculpted then. Good work with the likeness.
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    Well, with that kind of method you described it's totally alright. So yeah, as long as you've made it completely by yourself, it's acceptable. Anyway, that hand is very well sculpted then. Good work with the likeness.

I really suck at hands(that's why I use ref!) You can see here that my high poly doesn't look as good as Zoey's low poly hand. No nails because I'm thinking I might do them as a separate subtool. Might be a good opportunity to make a big hand study. The hand kind of bothers me now.

plTHZVj.jpg
    OQjai2r.jpg

Anyhow made some big changes to the body shape to be more heroic. With big changes things need to be tweaked.

Nc9VsHH.jpg
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    Tried a tank top made only with hexagonal shapes stitched together. The idea was that tank tops suit a brawler better, and that hex shapes look scifi. Don't know if I end up keeping it. The coat is the big important piece so I need to work on that to see what works.

And some blocking out of the pants.

G96gBJY.jpg
  • Edrice
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Edrice polycounter lvl 7
    I was reading a lot of docs on game dev, it seems it's a lot more complicated to do melee combat than projectile based game play. So change of plans I'm going to switch to a gunner rather than a brawler. I'm probably going to switch to a more stylized art style. I think I'll start a new thread if I can flesh out things a bit better. Or I'll come back to this basemesh.

Last post, maybe then.

Last update to the model for now.

yI4Rgp5.jpg
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Double check your anatomy/ proportions. The arms are looking too thick, the forehead is a bit bulbous, the fingers don't look long enough, the shoulder/ deltoid area looks like it's raised to high and pushed out too far. I would also consider slimming down the area of the calf leading into the ankle.