Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Death world Env/Drill rig

polycounter lvl 12
Offline / Send Message
Cglewis polycounter lvl 12
What up everyone??

So im kicking off a new project...

I love 40k it is an amazing universe but i wanted to tell another story and push my art. Usually with 40k you are focused on the epic battle stories...but i want to tell a story of an outpost of humans and or imp guard that are on a jungle death world (very much like the movie avatar) and are drilling for oil.

I want to create a realistic evn showing where the workers lived and worked, down to like the asian food they at the food court and the space cola they drank. its going to be alot of work and super fun challenge, but i would love for everyone to add their 2 cents :)

i am still on the fence on the time of day of the final piece totally open to suggestions lol

the drill rig will be a futureistic varient of the scud truck with a heavy duty drill rig on the back

i dervived the terrain from a hieght map i got from nasa ...i think it needs to be smoothed out but this is the very early stages so all comments totally welcome :)

Please let me know what yall think

dcAjDLc.jpg
wp0QMJf.png
F920PEA.jpg
9Ow1AGm.jpg
eJRZVId.jpg

Replies

• Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You're gonna need to tone down your height map, UDK's heightmap system works on a logarithmic scale, I think, so your texture is going to need to reflect that.

I do like the idea of creating a larger part of the 40k universe though, good luck on your project!
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you @Der Hollander i definatly agree with your assesment
    i have smoothed it out alot....its crazy thought i had to blur out the texture alot to get it to be this smooth
    j3hxIvs.jpg
    Height map
    D7JWlto.png

I also started the out side of the garage with some vent work and wall of the garage...i feel the vent work needs to be sleeker....and transition better into the structure.....the outer 4 sided shapes will be lights that will illum when open (red) and closed (green) maybe with a small sub light (blue) under the main light and now as bright
    zBbAhNu.jpg
    StUEQef.jpg

So while im writing this i think i figured out how to make it more sleek, ill move the side of the garage so that it is flush with the highlighted red edge and when open you will see it displayed in the image and when closed all the vents will be closed shut
    TsugZNk.jpg

what do yall think feel free to crit my design and modeling and just everything :) yall have a great night
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So i added some more detail to the garage tonight, the main idea behind this is a sort of jet engine inspired power generator where the jet turbine spins a big peice of metal around a enclosed circular area, much like a hrydo gen works, once the jets engine is on some of the oil drilled here is used to fuel the twin turbins that provide power for not only the garage but the entire operation

again any design tweeks or comments greatly appreciated!

mpxjDR6.jpg
    hZ628mI.jpg

so since Epic released to UE4 to the public today i thought i would be a good time to swtich....so....here we go the terrain in UE4!!! :) need to smooth out the areas for drill rig and base, but i must say UE4 is very sweet
    o9OIIxX.jpg
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Didnt have much time to much of anything today :/

But i decided to spread the love and start fleshing out some of the areas in the compound like the eating area, added the two food places and a row of "space cola" machines in the back and of coarse the actual tables hahaha the green cubes are about 6ftx6ftx6ft

lO4U3nM.jpg

I was also able to get the basic shape of the housing....kinda thinking that the big corners at the top and middle should have like big bronze eagle heads on them to be in keeping with 40k/imp gaurd sort of stuff

WWisSO3.jpg

but anyway let me know what you guys think/feel comments and crits totally welcome
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Keep cracking on that terrain, and your blockout looks like you've got a great start on making the pre-fab style of the Imperial Guard.

My only crit with the structure is I'd like to see more Gothic architecture influence in some of the structures. You don't need to add a bunch, but a lancet window, ribbed vault-style supports, or even a flying buttress or two wouldn't go amiss. Also, don't forget skulls on everything :).
  • AlexCatMasterSupreme
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AlexCatMasterSupreme interpolator
    breakup the hallway with some more details so it's less repetitive and please no more screenshots with default colors, but some work into presenting your models, maybe all a dark gray, no standard grey or default colors, same with udk, at least put on a vertex color so people can see what's going on. Also, I would think about getting refs for your things and not overdoing your blockouts, instead of making the blockout like that, decide what you want to make and then design a trim set around that goal.
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thank you guys so much for yalls input :)

@Der Hollander you are right i need some more gothic stuff in there :) i got a plan for that haha :)

@AlexCatMasterSupreme you are absolutily right in future I'll make sure they are not default mat colors :). for ref i had been kinda shying away from that, and just creating as i go..looking and pics and just formulating what id make on the fly..wich is totally the wrong way....

so i have decided to suck it up and do what im not good at, concept art ....so here is a WIP of the compound...any help or tips of mat painting would be so greatly appreciated as this is the weakest link in my skill set
    LPCk7h0.jpg

STI (star tech industries) is the company owns the drill site and the compound operating in various conditions to help fuel the front lines of the war of the 41st millennium. From asteroid mining to oil to various and rare moon minerals STI is like today Chevron. I really liked what doom did with UAC and i kinda want to take that as a stepping point. they had thier logo and posters about what they did all over the labs, id like to do somthing similar in this env. so i created a logo sheet for them, what do yall think?
    eMNBkX3.jpg

Space Cola! the cola of the the 41st millennium! these machines can be found in the cafeteria and in the apartment buildings. which one do yall like?
    1lV1yuy.jpg

I also need to come up with 2 food venues for the cafeteria.

Let me know what you guys think.
  • ducckz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ducckz polycounter lvl 6
  • Shrike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shrike interpolator
    Those typefaces do not work with your setting

Warhammer is this 1920 / World war 1 / Gothic setting, and you need to go bold
    and with serifs. Blackletter maybe, that sort of thing.

Also mining company, that needs to convey "big cold supercompany"
    And "Space cola" really takes away the serious in your setting, and 40K is the most grimdark there is.
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @ducckz thank you for you sharp eye man, I corrected in the spelling in the updated gfx :D

@Shrike good point! I see it now that you bring it up thank you. I have done six more that i feel better capture the feel of the world let me know what you think.

98Fuxu4.jpg

As for the Space cola, im going to table that name, very good call @Shrike i completely agree, hopefully tomorrow i can present yall with some better names :)
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I came up with 4 names for the beverage that the people on the base will drink let me know what yall think

uxw6Ccw.jpg
  • Count Vader
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Count Vader polycounter lvl 12
    don't forget the awesome art of dead space for some offworld drilling/mining inspiration

Concept_planetside_download_021208.jpg
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    oh man that looks sick! I completely forgot out deadspace, ill have to take a look at that and see what i can pull from it.

Im hoping to put alot of work into it this weekend :)

Thank you for the input @count vader
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    take a look at the end section of the 1st game to get some good ideas.
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    thank you @luge I'm going to have to run through it sometime this weekend :)

i just wanted to show yall some modeling progess ive done this so far this weekend....but im at a good stopping point, going to grab some food and recharge a bit and then hit it humming, let me know what yall think :)

ABSW7yA.jpg
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good Morning Polycount!,

so just a little update, i was able to work on the env this weekend, was able to to start blocking out the main hq, the gate, living quarters, mess area, and landing pad.

The living quarters is giving me issues especially since im trying to make it actually livable....idk about its size...and id like to of them which would mean making the base bigger....might happen hahaha

let me know what yall think :)

49dDy6d.jpg
    P6mjWLs.jpg
    eJWoPSg.jpg
    aapBtUI.jpg
    NhWxjCV.jpg
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Just a little taste of whats to come!!
    got some assets in engine, still block out phase :) but im diggin it let me know what yall think!

JocoAEK.jpg
    xBstzBq.jpg
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NomadSoul2501 polycounter lvl 10
    That bloom!!! lol
    Can you run around and post some shots from a players perspective?
    It'd be interesting to see the scale :)
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @nomadSoul2501 haha right that bloom is rather insane
    and here you go, some screen shots from eye level :)
    i think my scale is a bit to small judging from the last screen shot but im close :)
    let me know what yall think :)

SBqPAHU.jpg
    gVh2JNn.jpg
    N8hypi4.jpg
    0UFlK2B.jpg
    N7rjvsF.jpg
    41KKbht.jpg
    PK54cH0.jpg
    f557lFO.jpg
    yYXldO5.jpg
    VFRPnDf.jpg
    zmJyHyc.jpg
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I was looking at the base and didnt really like how it flowed and how it was designed so i decided to over haul it and really try to make this facility feel real....since that is the point of this piece hhaha

So i have expanded the base and separated the different areas of the base.

there is the living area and the industrial area at the moment the living area seems a bit sparse....but ill come up with something lol

i feel there are to make towers on the walls....maybe ever other one gets axed?

i also added a unified garage landing pad, this will be able to store vehicles such as the drill rigs and pick up trucks well as cargo and scout air craft

I added addition oil storage on the side of the mechanics shope

What do yall think ? :)

7aMpsWf.jpg
    VatenHj.jpg
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So alot has changed in the design of the base hahaha, and im really glad it has looking back on what i have here.....ahha

anyway, the buildings have gotten a slight increase in size and i have rearanged the base as well as redesigned the HQ and the airfield

I have added a slew of new buildings, oil Refinery, Biomass removal station, Armory and bio Lab

The oil refinery is next to the garage and the biomass removal is on the left side of the road leading into the oil area, the armory and bio lab are on the right side of the base right as you enter

also i have decided to change the way you enter the base, instead of a gate you will have to drive through an underground tunnel that way if a creature would be to attempt to break in via the tunnel you could concentrate you fire in one location and have the beast pinned.

I think that is all for this update, next up will be putting all this into UE4 to see how it playes with the player char :)

please let me know what yall think crits comments welcome :)

Thanks

zTrdgcl.jpg
    AmGtlu8.jpg
    9IlAfsw.jpg
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This setup looks a lot more thought out and permanent.
    This has a very 'Avatar' feel to it now, more than 40k but I'm sure that will change.
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Good eye @NomadSoul2501

I think i need to do a bit more explaining now, lol
    I did start this proj off with out putting thought into it and being like yeah! lets create a sweet env.
    But I've been putting some thought into it recently and i really want to go back to what got me into CG in the first place. Level design. I think this is a great opportunity to do this. This is going to be a HUGE project and will take a long time and have a lot of intricate moving bits to make this a success.

It has been my passion to make video games I haven't had the opportunity to do so, right now i am working for a very highly respected sim company....but its not making games....so i want to do everything i can to make games....hence why this project is so massive in scale it'll essentially be a stand alone game when its done 100% I'm just an artist so i want to do as much as i can on my end and then find a programmer to help me finish off the last bit :)

So with that being said, I want to make this a death match, capture the flag and maybe bombing run level.

This will be Asymmetrical and have 2 bases the first base is the one you are looking and the 2nd base will be located in the jungle and be more of like a camp (this still needs to be fleshed out more ) with like generators and cables on the ground temporary buildings but be fortified by natural structures. I'm envisioning a base in a cave with a water fall in front of the opening.

The game types will include vehicles since the projected size of this level will be between 32-64.
    The Vehicles that will be created for this level include

-fighter aircraft 1 to operate

-cargo aircraft fitted for combat (futuristic ac-130) 2 to operate holds 7 with special stealth drop ability where passengers of the craft can drop out and be invisible for a few seconds.

-Tank 2 to operate

-Truck with gun on back 2 to operate holds 4

I am envisioning about 3-5 weapons futuristic in style and function...but this area needs to be fleshed out as well :(

I expect this to take at least a year if not more and that's ok :) its about doing what i love to do and one day being able to play it :)

Asset List (working)
    -Assault Aircraft
    -Cargo Aircraft
    -Truck
    -Tank
    -Weapon 1
    -Weapon 2
    -Weapon 3
    -Weapon 4
    -Weapon 5
    -HQ
    -Barracks
    -Armory
    -Bio Tech Lab
    -Biomass Removal
    -mess hall
    -Garage
    -oil Refining equipment
    -pipes
    -tanks
    -Light posts in the base
    -Crates
    -wall segments
    -aircraft prep stations
    -drill rig
    -drilling equipment
    -Control towers for airfield
    -Control tower for Refinery
    -Tunnel Entrance
    -Tunnel
    -Tree A
    -Tree B
    -Tree C
    -Tree D
    -Fern A
    -Fern B
    -Fern C
    -Grass A
    -Grass B
    -Brass C
    -Vines
    -Rock A
    -Rock B
    -Rock C
    -Computer screens
    -Flag Base
    -Bombing run base

Obviously im missing some assets and i do plan on adding to this but i really wanted to let you guys know what I'm trying to do

the next steps from here would be to try to paint a layout of the level for yall to see......i plan on moving what i have now from max to ue4 and taking some high screen shots and painting over in ps to get an idea on how this level will form :)

im really excited to be sharing this with yall

Please let me know what yall think
  • NomadSoul2501
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice. It's good to plan things out, visualize and set milestones.
    Once you get a firmer grasp on the scope, refine that list even further.
    For instance, 'Wall Segments', how many and what type: long, short, corner, wall_barracks, wall_refinery etc. You can then treat each building or part of the base as its own mini project so that you don't get burned out on something this massive.
    Stick with it, can't wait to see more.
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks @nomadsoul2501
    ive definitely started to think in that vien for sure as im ramping up into the project

just to play around with scale ive been trying to set up my char controler and mod it a bit....but i plan on using the default fps view but for deving purposes i made 3rd person controler....although the animations are broken for some reason....doesnt really matter its just for scale anyway lol this is epics character i did not make that :)

DFQleIL.png

ive decided that i want to make a bombing run map and have completely changed up how the map will look....from the first layouts....here is a top down view of the map with some paint overs to show lay out and item placement

5SRIToH.jpg

question comments fire away thanks :)
  • Cglewis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Typically in Bombing run maps i don't think there has been vehicles
    this one will add vehicles into the mix and you will not be able to pilot or man the gun but will be able to ride as a passenger

There will be 4 vehicles in this Level

Tank
    Attack Aircraft
    Support Aircraft
    Truck

2 of which the truck and the support aircraft will be able to carry a player with the bomb.

While carrying the bomb and you disembark a vehicle you don't gain the buff from exiting like you normally would in the support aircraft (when you disembark from the support aircraft while it is flying you gain invis for a few seconds)

as always please let me know what you think comments and crits welcome :)