Home Technical Talk

Is it possible to change object without messing up uv's ?

Nesmos
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
Nesmos polycounter lvl 6
Hey, i'm half way through my UV unwrap process and i just noticed i really don't want something on my hammer which is the screws. Is there anyway to remove the screws but keep my UV intact as it is now ?

It was quite tedious making the uv's as they are now and it would be a pain the backside to do it all over again, but if i absolutely have to that's fine

b9d1933321.jpg

Replies

• sargentcrunch
  • Nesmos
    Offline / Send Message
    Nesmos polycounter lvl 6
    Are the screws separate elements? If so just delete them. And just save before you try to get rid of them.

Thanks for replying, sorry i'm quite new to 3d and do you mean are the screws part of the whole object ? if so they are but if i go on select element and click the screws it only highlights the screws not the whole hammer

08bd12cdf6.png
  • Mark Dygert
    Collapse your modifier stack, it will save the UV layout into the mesh, delete what you don't want, apply unwrap and be happy.
  • Nesmos
    Offline / Send Message
    Nesmos polycounter lvl 6
    Collapse your modifier stack, it will save the UV layout into the mesh, delete what you don't want, apply unwrap and be happy.

I'm such a dope i did try that thanks also I've learn't what i was doing wrong, i collapsed then deleted the screws but didn't overall select the hammer again the uv unwrap so i was unwrapping nothing.

everything's in working order now, Thanks a lot guys :D
  • Mark Dygert
    Selection travels up the stack if you don't exit sub-object mode (vert, poly, ect...) first and click another modifier in the stack. Either select everything or exit sub-object mode before switching modifiers.

I use 1,2,3,4,5 to switch modes, press your current mode again and it exits or press 6 to exit any sub-object mode, but that might be a custom keybind a set ages ago so if 6 doesn't work for you its time to go digging through the customize UI menu.

OR

Click the sub-object mode in the modifier panel. Or click the modifier label "edit poly" and it will also exit. It's a good habit to be in because when you start getting into advanced modifier stack techniques that depend on selection you can easily screw yourself over if you get sloppy.
  • Nesmos
    Offline / Send Message
    Nesmos polycounter lvl 6
    Selection travels up the stack if you don't exit sub-object mode (vert, poly, ect...) first and click another modifier in the stack. Either select everything or exit sub-object mode before switching modifiers.

I use 1,2,3,4,5 to switch modes, press your current mode again and it exits or press 6 to exit any sub-object mode, but that might be a custom keybind a set ages ago so if 6 doesn't work for you its time to go digging through the customize UI menu.

OR

Click the sub-object mode in the modifier panel. Or click the modifier label "edit poly" and it will also exit. It's a good habit to be in because when you start getting into advanced modifier stack techniques that depend on selection you can easily screw yourself over if you get sloppy.

Thank you for the help and advice, have a great day :)