Home Dota 2

Tournament Ticket Item Bundles - Discussion

polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
AndrewHelenek polycounter lvl 6
How you feel about the current state of item bundles? Right now we seem to be getting multiple tickets with item bundles each week, so many that it seems to dwarf the ammount of submissions being accepted without tickets. So, pretty straight forward, how do you feel about this, what are your thoughts?

Replies

• agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    the recent PL anubis set i feel i don't like the mask, not head piece.
  • quockhanhlk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    quockhanhlk polycounter lvl 11
    look like item bundles with ticket is slowly, but seem to be the new standard for the workshop items, which is pretty bad imo
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    It is an interesting topic.

Most of the players who use the shop that I know entirely ignore the tickets and feel that they 'get in the way' of the new items they are looking at.

For me, I think it is strange that you have to give 'free stuff' to people for them to watch a sport that they are apparently interested in. I would be very interested in the amount of tickets that don't get used because they were purchased for a 'free' cosmetic. I don't know if it is true, but the feeling I get is that Valve are really desperate to make Dota 2 a really successful e-sport (and best of luck to them) but if they give tournament runners free rein to implement cosmetics that would be otherwise rejected, then there is a problem with the system. And I understand artists will use this system to improve their chances of having items accepted. I understand that too, some of the creators here rely on this process for their income.

In short, I don't particularly like it. A lot of the items seem a little inappropriate or mismatched to the ticket but at the same time I can see why every party involved likes the system.

-Valve gets more Dota viewers, this means more money and an elevation in the e-sports arena.
    -Tournament managers sell more tickets
    -Creators get items in that they might not have gotten in otherwise.
    -Viewers get free cosmetics.
    -Pro players make themselves a bigger name from winning smaller tournaments.

As far as I can see it, me not liking it a lot isn't really going to be worth anything compared to the value that it brings to those involved.

Basically I can't figure out who loses in this situation so I'm more-or-less fine with it.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Spudnik polycounter lvl 11
    As long as tournaments function as a backdoor to the workshop system that allows shitty sets to bypass the system entirely, I'm against it.

I think it's absolutely critical that tournament (and player/caster) items are held to at least the same standard if not a higher standard than regular workshop standard.
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    talk about that, what do you feel about Drow ranger with the cat theme?
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    Spudnik wrote: »
    As long as tournaments function as a backdoor to the workshop system that allows shitty sets to bypass the system entirely, I'm against it.

I think it's absolutely critical that tournament (and player/caster) items are held to at least the same standard if not a higher standard than regular workshop standard.

This! I cant put it any better. Right on Spuds!
  • BrontoThunder
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BrontoThunder polycounter lvl 13

Shitty sets get into the game without being bundled with tournament tickets too.
  • BladeofEvilsBane
    I'm not sure if it's out of synch with normality, but I feel as if it's been awhile since we've seen a new chest get into the game. I'm not sure if the constant ticket bundles have anything to do with their absence, I just feel wary about the importance of chests being dwindled by the constant influx of item sets that seemingly have the power to bypass standards of quality.
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shitty sets get into the game without being bundled with tournament tickets too.

Of course, but the frequency of that happening is much higher in the case of tournaments/casters/player than through the normal store.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not sure if it's out of synch with normality, but I feel as if it's been awhile since we've seen a new chest get into the game. I'm not sure if the constant ticket bundles have anything to do with their absence, I just feel wary about the importance of chests being dwindled by the constant influx of item sets that seemingly have the power to bypass standards of quality.

I think thats where I started having a problem with it, I don't mind ticket bundles at all, I think it's a great way for organizations to earn some money and stay afloat which in all, only helps progress esports has a whole. If valve treated it with some balance I probably wouldn't have a problem at all with it, but right now it feels that the only way to get something accepted is through a ticket.

Personally, I say we start a workshop dota 2 league and bundle it with an item from every person on the workshop. :thumbup:
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras polycounter lvl 12
    Good one Helenek :) Who could compete with us than. Ticket with 10 sets haha :D
    Seriously thought most sets/items/couriers have nothing in common with players/organizations that they are bundled with so as well could be selected from workshop pool of items. If there would be any quality control than Valve should force on tournament organizers some more strict rules. Other idea would be to give some kind of certificate to some users with hi quality of works so they could produce items for tournaments/organizers in that way Valve could be more or less sure that their standards will be held, however would this not be to cruel? :)
  • Spudnik
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gotta echo Helenek's sentiment here, I'm only so angry at the whole tournament situation because it has come to more or less dominate the scene.

@Konras
    Yeah, that's a slippery slope where you could end up creating an "old boys club" of certified artists.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Konras wrote: »
    Good one Helenek :) Who could compete with us than. Ticket with 10 sets haha :D
    Seriously thought most sets/items/couriers have nothing in common with players/organizations that they are bundled with so as well could be selected from workshop pool of items. If there would be any quality control than Valve should force on tournament organizers some more strict rules. Other idea would be to give some kind of certificate to some users with hi quality of works so they could produce items for tournaments/organizers in that way Valve could be more or less sure that their standards will be held, however would this not be to cruel? :)

That's the other side of the problem I have. I love working with organizations and creating something that echos their style or theme. I can't stand when I watch an organiztion pluck a workshop cosmetic because "they like it" or "it looks cool". I personally feel that working with an organization needs to feel more like a colaboration then a way to cheat the system and use it as an excuse to get an item in game. But this is just my own personal opinions, maybe I'm alone here. #yolo :poly142:
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    That's the other side of the problem I have. I love working with organizations and creating something that echos their style or theme. I can't stand when I watch an organiztion pluck a workshop cosmetic because "they like it" or "it looks cool". I personally feel that working with an organization needs to feel more like a colaboration then a way to cheat the system and use it as an excuse to get an item in game.

But this is just my own personal opinions, maybe I'm alone here. #yolo :poly142:

You're absolutely right! I hate that idea of tournament organizers just "buying out" an item that is already done, and also the artists "selling" it to them. I think that collaborating is something much more interesting and bound to reward better results. I got some offers to bundle some items with tickets which I refused because of that. I really don't like just bundling my item with a ticket to get it ingame after working so hard on it, when the organization did nothing to help along the creation process.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    All it would take would be for Valve to make the screening process totally blind ; that is to say, not allowing the linking of an item to a sponsor/ticket until said item is being approved.

Of course it would piss off some people ... but not the artists. And the workshop was initially tailored for artists and not sponsors anyways ...

Now of course this shouldn't prevent organizations from teaming up behind the scenes with artists in order to come up with a cool idea/design. But at least it would level the playing field immensely.

And I would even suppose that the community as a whole wouldn't mind. Dota2 fans are very attached to the lore being respected, so, I could imagine them being behind the idea...
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Theres some "greatest hits" of quotes up in here!

and
    I personally feel that working with an organization needs to feel more like a colaboration then a way to cheat the system and use it as an excuse to get an item in game. :poly142:

Basically those sum up alot of my thoughts. So I've only done 2 courier tourney items, but they were my last two, and they vastly different experiences. I'd say one was not a very good experience, but I learned alot about how these tourney deals go, while the other felt way more natural like a normal process.

Personally, the only reasons I took up the projects were to compete with the "pressure" of not having anything entered into the store, or the fear that my stuff might not make it. My basic thought process was that if I keep my standard of quality throughout the tourney pieces, they might get more PR, which would be a catalyst for entering the store. What I didn't realize getting into it was, expedited deadlines, minimal critique besides "wow thats neat".

All of this is kind of funny too when it comes to my stance on the whole dota thing, and how I always say "don't expect it to get in, just make the art and be happy with it.". I'd like to say that I won't do them anymore, and just make things I want to make, but it's hard to say no when student loans are a hell of a drug, and dat supplemental income.

I think the original thought that I'll bring to the conversation is that it's always irked me that I feel like content creators take a hit financially on the items. I don't see it as a symbiotic relationship. We always have the opportunity to make the items and just enter them, their event comes once in a blue moon, or blue sun(or red moon!, #jokes). 50/50 content creator/league is "fair" from what I've heard, but is that really fair? Like that 50/50 is only of the quarter or so left over after valve takes their cut (from what I understand). So that means even if you do everything yourself, you are only getting 12.6% or so after everything (meaning per ticket you get 12.6% of Z dollar amount), and this usually means you would concept, model, texture,rig,animate,promotion,video, cry. Now lets divide this by X amount of team members. Is it worth it? I don't know honestly, its obviously an "acceptable" business model, but maybe I am naive. #sus #froyolo
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 wrote: »
    I think the original thought that I'll bring to the conversation is that it's always irked me that I feel like content creators take a hit financially on the items. I don't see it as a symbiotic relationship. We always have the opportunity to make the items and just enter them, their event comes once in a blue moon, or blue sun(or red moon!, #jokes). 50/50 content creator/league is "fair" from what I've heard, but is that really fair? Like that 50/50 is only of the quarter or so left over after valve takes their cut (from what I understand). So that means even if you do everything yourself, you are only getting 12.6% or so after everything (meaning per ticket you get 12.6% of Z dollar amount), and this usually means you would concept, model, texture,rig,animate,promotion,video, cry. Now lets divide this by X amount of team members. Is it worth it? I don't know honestly, its obviously an "acceptable" business model, but maybe I am naive. #sus #froyolo

This goes back to something I typed up to Valve on that service provider thread. All organizations worth anything, meaning they have at least two successful seasons under their belt, in my opinion, should be on that list. There is no reason in my eyes that says Na'Vi, Alliance, D2L, Dreamleague, ESL, even Dota Cinema shouldn't be on that list given their very active use of the workshop.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For the naive/lazy/unaware, what's this service provider thread?
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 wrote: »
    For the naive/lazy/unaware, what's this service provider thread?

Merry Christmas!

Although, it seems like the thread is pretty dead. Spam session anyone? Haha! :thumbup:
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    NECRO! :D oh wait... valve killed it :(
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    And for people who don't know : the revenue split going to approved service providers (like Blender, Polycount, Xnormal, and so on) is taken from the "Valve split" of 75%.

Meaning that no matter how much % is allocated to a given service provider, the content creators (= artists actually making the item) are guaranteed to get their full 25% of the revenues generated by the item in the store. That part of the workshop system is fantastic, and it was obviously put in place in order to support the content creators and not the middle men.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be honest discussion like that are neat but they will not change anything. Some people lately are making just collaborations with players/organizations and nothing will probably change it. Seriously why would they quit? A person would be mad dropping on 100% acceptance rate right? Question is why there is 100% acceptance rate in the first place?

Let me guess short deadlines, tournament is set up, all that is remaining is an item/set/courier to boost the sales. So host finds creator, give them 2 weeks to prepare something. Of course valve will not object, everything is set up, ticket will go live in about next 2 weeks. This is called TRUST that Valve gave to tournament hosts so they would be somewhat responsible for quality of those bundles, but we all can see what we have ended up with.

Point about creative collaboration process is also naive, lets face it pro players or most organizations don't know much about design... you as an artist that should be responsible for high quality of item they asked you to bundle with that ticket.

Currently I am working on a set for tournament. Why am I doing this? Mostly because everyone is doing this. Somewhat because its a new tournament and I wanted to help in what I believe is a good cause for a whole scene to grow. A little bit out of curiosity. Do I get some kind of feedback from them? Yes, more than I expected. Do I need it? Probably no. How it will gonna work out? I am more curious than anyone.
  • Pipotchi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Pipotchi polycounter lvl 4
    A set that I concepted got put in with a ticket but I'm still kinda against the idea in general. I do think it is used as a way to get a set which otherwise wouldnt go in into the game, which just seems to screw everyone over in the long-run. The sets with tickets make less money than being standalone, you might get screwed over by the tournament, everyone else's sets get overriden by it, the community gets annoyed by the low quality items, the community becomes even more against cosmetics, the tourney gets a bad rep, and we get a bad rep as item makers for mediocre items. Seems like a lot of bad things happen for everyone when people knowingly try and cheat the system.. I dont really want to do a tournament set again because it just turned out as a kinda bad experience for me personally. I think it could be a mistake for other people too (although obviously not necessarily).
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Getting asked to put your set on a tournament ticket is not guaranteed entry, it still needs to be given the ok by Valve. I was asked to use SLIMEface and my Kunkka set for a tournament ticket to which after much discussion we agreed to. Unfortunately Valve still chose to not accept it. I don't know whether that is a reflection on the set or whether Valve are stepping up their screening process for tournament ticket items. But just letting you know that it isn't always a get in game free ticket.
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK wrote: »
    Getting asked to put your set on a tournament ticket is not guaranteed entry, it still needs to be given the ok by Valve. I was asked to use SLIMEface and my Kunkka set for a tournament ticket to which after much discussion we agreed to. Unfortunately Valve still chose to not accept it. I don't know whether that is a reflection on the set or whether Valve are stepping up their screening process for tournament ticket items. But just letting you know that it isn't always a get in game free ticket.

The point of this thread however isnt so much about items being 100% guaranteed, it's an accepted fact that it isn't guaranteed, but about how it seems that tickets are the only thing we're seeing getting added.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    The point of this thread however isnt so much about items being 100% guaranteed, it's an accepted fact that it isn't guaranteed, but about how it seems that tickets are the only thing we're seeing getting added.

Yes I understand that, just a lot of people seem to have that idea.

About the tournament tickets and bundles, I agree they are not ideal and I preferred the monthly chests of last year. I can see why people do accept the offers though, I mean most people's goal here is to get an item/set ingame. If you think it won't be accepted by Valve under normal circumstances, then I can understand why people would attach it to a ticket to get it added. Of course, when this means sets of lower quality are getting in over sets of much better quality then something is wrong.

I think the workshop has grown to such a stage now, it's more about business than pure creativity and presentation, which is certainly not how it should be.

That being said, I don't think I would accept one of these tournament ticket offers again.
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @MdK Speaking of presentation:
    http://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=235913595
    You don't even need to attach any screenshots or videos (5 days on workshop but who knows maybe PC exploded just before uploading promo materials :D)
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    I would suggest that perhaps the new year event has slowed the pace recently and while it appears that Tournament tickets now dominate the new content, that this is likely to change again.

Its great to see a discussion on this, its healthy that everyone is asking questions and considering if this the right way for valve to approach things.

Personally I think Tournament 'Gear' should be held to the same standards as all other accepted content, yet its not my game and it is Valves, its their business.

The idea of a 'Polycount League ticket is awesome', at least a great way to demonstrate how the artists here want to share their content in dota and are frustrated at the seeming shift in focus by Valve.

While there is money at stake there will always be someone to knock out quick work for tournaments. As others have already pointed out, its not a smart long term strategy -for Valve, quality will lower and the audience will likely become aware.
    So I expect things to change, hopefully soon.

All carry, all mid, right?
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Here are a few more thoughts.

Basically, I am not against the idea of bundling items with tournament tickets, or similar associations with third parties. I think in itself it's great, especially if it can benefit both parties and make everybody win and get better. I have been thinking about that a lot lately, wondering wether or not I should try such a collaboration just to see how it goes. It's a pretty interesting opportunity and as stated by others above, it seems quite profitable too.

However I do believe that it is impacting the approval process, even if just a bit, and that's a problem. Third parties somehow found a way to sneak in inside the Workshop approval process and I find it surprising that Valve allowed it in such a proportion. It would be great if the acceptance of an item to be bundled with a ticket was totally unrelated to the nearing date of a tournament, for instance. Valve could even go as far as not allowing any visible associations between Workshop creators and third parties until *after* an item is accepted. That would level the field entirely.

But that's probably not going to happen, so, another way would be to basically beat third parties to their own game by using a similar tactic, but in reverse. Stating loud and clear when a workshop item is *not* being associated with any third parties ; meaning that the entirety of the workshop revenue (25% of sales) goes directly to the content creators, supporting them and allowing them to create more cool items in the future. Basically, a "Fair Trade" system for Workshop contributors.

Something like this disclaimer, inserted in the body of item pages :

fairartmockup001_zpsfef0ee96.jpg~original

Now I am not saying that it is the perfect solution (it is too lengthy and I suppose that some people might not really understand what it's about) ... Just trying to find ways to emphasize the hard work of very dedicated artists putting so much effort into the workshop.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    @Pior: I really like that idea! My only concern would be, as you say, that your average workshop user wouldn't know what it's about. I'd be down for using something like that in future.
  • spacemonkey
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    if that image took you to a link that explained whats its about - it might not be an issue.
  • belkun
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    belkun polycounter lvl 7
    LOVE that idea Pior. I think that we wouldn't have any problems, since the image explains everything. Sure, not everyone may read that, but I believe that this is a really nice way to send a message to Valve and those organizations. I'd be down to use that one my items if you provide a text version.
  • Bernoully
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bernoully polycounter lvl 4
    That's a great idea, Pior! It'll also help with educating the average Workshop visitors.

Agreed. My biggest gripe with this ticket bypass is how some low quality items (Neotolic Penguin comes to mind) or really lore-crushing stuff get a free greenlight into the item pool. As mentioned, short datelines and preferences of clients get involved so it complicated the matter further. It has become a "if you don't listen to the client, then you don't get paid" situation.

Not sure what Valve can do aside from more treasure boxes and Blacksmith's Blessing-style bundles to diffuse the backlog of good Workshop entries.

On item quality, been seeing people updating older, accepted items (most recently, the Na'Vi Weaselcrow!) and I think it should happen more often. Still got a bone to pick with the ol' Ice Crystal Bow, the first offender in the game:

uNf9ELt.png
  • agito666
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TBH, i'm working with my partner on the upcoming tournament item too, one of my lina set submission got reject and need to rework with hair.

well, i mean, tournament item is not gurantee 100% will be in workshop. ( but of course normally i post the design here before it is finalized :P cause i know everyone have different opinion to voice out then i improvise it hehe)
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Heya all - I'll be out for a bit but I will get back to you guys soon about the text thing and labels, which I both want to rework a bit.

Meanwhile, I'd like to check something : do item pages support formatting options like UBB image inserts and rich text, or are these limited to collection pages alone ? I tried doing some test earlier but go inconsistent results ...
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    i would also enjoy it if those tourney guys would be payed from the valve 75% and not of the artists 25%. with that valve would automaticly look closer on everything because they are the once who loose a bit money - and not bleeding out the artists for cuts.
  • pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yup, 100% agreeing with Shock on that.

(Especially since Valve talks so much in their slides about how fantastic it is that artists can make a living from UGC ... and yet they are OK with these artists seeing 50% of their revenue taken from them and going to a third party.)
  • Konras
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Shock I mean hmm there were a time when some tournaments were having 2 version of tickets, with and without item bundle. It could be worked somehow around that...

In the end don't forget that money from selling tickets goes to prize pool directly or indirectly and organization costs, salaries for casters and so on. Most tournament are held by many more people than one artist that makes a set for such occasion. Like it or not but in those situations we as artist are less important in hierarchy.

It could work for big tournaments with sponsors where ticket is a secondary matter so artist can get most out of it, but some tournaments don't have sponsors and ticket revenue is only thing they got. At least it how I see it. Correct me if I am wrong? I am just to confused about all of this.

@Pior for some reason workshop pages dont display BBCODE coretly from a week or something like this. Maybe Valve has limited this somehow.
    For example:
    img /img will work and you will have image displayed, but
    url img /img /url will not and you will not see the image but will have just a text link... weird.
    It was working corectly for quite a long time. I have started to use it in a way to add little images with links to other parts to get an effect similar to collection page. Who knows maybe Valve did not like that.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    whats the problem at all if a tour boundle would pay out 75volvo/25rest
    but 62,5volvo/ 12,5tourguys /25artists. the tourguys would not get a single dollar less then they are getting now. just the artist is getting more and volvo less

ps: @konras try that code:

<edit i pn-ed u the code>

i just tryed it and it works.
  • MdK
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    volvo less

I'm guessing that's the problem. Although they are extremely fair they are still a business at the end of the day.
  • Shock
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock polycounter lvl 5
    btw...here are ur new doto-chests incoming :) !

ZmdQPtb.png
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shock wrote: »
    btw...here are ur new doto-chests incoming :) !

ZmdQPtb.png

TI3 Chests. According to the Bangouts.
  • Coyo.Te
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Coyo.Te polycounter lvl 4
    and such great source of income ^^
  • Sukotto
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto polycounter lvl 8
    Bumping again since it appears we're getting another update of only tournament items, but at least there are some good items in there.

There's gotta be a reason that Valve hasn't added any new items since the spring event. New contest? Another giant update?
  • AndrewHelenek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Sukotto wrote: »
    Bumping again since it appears we're getting another update of only tournament items, but at least there are some good items in there.

There's gotta be a reason that Valve hasn't added any new items since the spring event. New contest? Another giant update?

You know, I was thinking today while eating a slice of fantastic pizza from Al Capriccios. I can't help but feel they don't want to overstaturate the market with too many items at one time.

Back when the dota 2 workshop started you might see several sets implemented in a week with none tied to a tournament. That slowly started to change as esports became more involved with the workshop, but what hasnt is the ammount of sets they would implement at a given time, it's always remained somewhat consistant.

I almost feel that now what we're looking at is so many tournament tickets with sets being implemented that it's now phasing/pushing out the individual artist. These tickets items, more then likely, get priority since many are planned months in advanced as a perk to get people to buy the ticket. We've seen that both work for ang against these organizations.

Which could also explain valves recent attempt to create 'set chests' as a way to bring the individual artist back into the picture.

Or I'm totally wrong, which is ok too. :thumbup:

#dotoconspiraciestheory
  • SemiColonThree
    its pretty obvious imo, that these tournament sets dont affect regular sets at all. To you guys it just seems like it cause they are the ones that get shipped every week or so... but if u guys dont remember, back then in the old days, cosmetic patches for regular sets only came about once a month, which still remains true. Right now it just seems irritating because set tournaments get in all the time. I think its good that these tournament host now have an incentive to make money off of these sets by hosting their own tournament...

but yea, right now regular sets are still getting in about every month, which was how it was exactly before.
  • Frump
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Frump polycounter lvl 12
    Helenek I think what you've said is correct. They want to put in a certain amount of things each month and instead of individual's sets now they're just putting through tournament stuff.

I don't think that's good for anyone except the tournament organizers. The end users get worse sets coming from smaller tournaments and artists who bundle with tickets make less.

I think Valve should find other ways for tournament organizers to be able to profit from tickets without relying on artists to make sets and items for them which cuts unaffiliated artists out and cuts into the profits of the ones that do join up with tournaments. I think it was a good idea at the beginning, but now it's too widespread and is becoming a problem. I guess fantasy league compendiums are a small step toward that.

Even though I've had success in the past, I now feel pressured to join up with an organization just to get my items through.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think its good that these tournament host now have an incentive to make money off of these sets by hosting their own tournament...

..Um. What money.

From an artists point of view (looking at a freelance background here) there is NO incentive/reason ever to do the work because there is such a low $ payout for the service we provide. What service is this? We provide the swag. In smaller tourneys, the swag is the hype. Its the difference between 500 people ticket and 3000 tickets. We boost their sales, and then,We get a pretty minuscule cut of the rewards. If someone commissions something from you, you should definitely get learned on what is deserved to you as an artist. (spoiler alert, it's almost slave labor.)

I know that you were pointing it out from the tourney's P.O.V, but it's a business, of course there is an incentive to get AAA standard art for 20 cents a ticket.

So now that we have ruled out that this thread is even remotely about making #cashMoney off ticket bundles, lets get to the knitty gritty. The way I see it, our discussion so far has been about the perspective of the artist/workshop environment and how the nature is changing due to ticket bundles. We don't need to be a rocket scientist to know that the tourney is getting the better deal.

So lets talk about items. Lets talk workshop. Let's talk acceptance rate..
    Kraken wrote: »
    Well, as you could noticed, there were no new courier for a half of year. Only chests or tickets:(

I JUST got a courier in game on the 14th that was attached to a bundle. Would he had gotten in without a ticket. Probably not at all. However you say,
    but yea, right now regular sets are still getting in about every month, which was how it was exactly before.

How is that possible? How is it that a dude who is as talented as Kraken has to switch an entire work cycle/pipeline just to get noticed. How is it that "par" couriers can get thrown into game willy nilly if they are attached to a ticket?

Why are sets not held to the same standard as couriers / vice versa.

Quite honestly I don't care too much(im in this to make art and meet cool people), and I have several other personal opinions about the whole thing, and I feel blessed that I have something in game, but when I see someone say that the state of the workshop with all of these ticket items is "okay" it really is frustrating, knowing how much effort some amazing artists I consider friends put into work, just to see them be surpassed by a ticket.

Am I insane for thinking that this is clearly a problem?
  • Chemical Alia
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chemical Alia polycounter lvl 7
    These are my main concerns.

How much manpower is being taken up over at Valve to get all of these sets implemented regularly on top of the rest of their workload? How does that impact the addition of cosmetics that aren't under any time constraints?

I've witnessed firsthand some shady business with these bundles on the financial side of things. I'm not totally sure how much was deliberate misleading or just honest mistakes, but it's left me feeling a little apprehensive about these deals in general.

Until recently I didn't really care too much about tickets being bundled with crappy sets, since if the organizations selling them are scraping the bottom of the barrel, it's their own problem when they create no extra incentive to purchase their tickets. But as I see more and more bundled items going in with tickets in each update, the more I think about the finite resource of time and wonder how many other things aren't getting sold because of them.

We're now seeing teams and other organizations wanting to get in on the workshop action despite not being involved in the art themselves. They know there's money to be made, and they'll try to make as much as they can.

The TF2 workshop has its problems, and now Dota has some unique ones of its own. It was only a matter of time, I guess. It's a learning experience for all of us, and it requires a careful balance.

Like balancing on one foot during an earthquake v:
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

We're now seeing teams and other organizations wanting to get in on the workshop action despite not being involved in the art themselves. They know there's money to be made, and they'll try to make as much as they can.

This will be the downfall of the workshop. Quote me, quoting it.