Offline / Send Message
GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
Currently myworkflow for creating some low poly models is:
base mesh
Import zBrush
Sculpt + Polypaint
Low Poly
Bake into xNormals

So I was wondering, is there a way for me to polypaint after I made the low poly model with UV's that has the detail of the existing high poly sculpt? I want to be able to change the color texture in an external program like photoshop?

Doing this would make the workflow longer but I would be able to change the polypaint more easily.

How do I do it? Is it even possible?

Replies

• D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    uhm yea, you
    lowpoly model the final first.
    unwrap
    sculpt
    paint
    bake
    The trick is to not go outside of the silhouette as much when you do things this way.

I did it with this model and it came out fine check it out:

sculpt 1

Game mesh 2

^So you know i'm not just talking and never did it, for me it works for others idk.
  • GhostDetector
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    @D4v1dc
    So I can't take old high poly information to a newly created low poly mesh?

Basically what you are saying is that I can't do it and the lowpoly model is just the limit to where I can go. Is there a way to still modify the silhouette without having to destroy the UV's? As I understand, dynamesh and clip brushes destroy UV space.
  • cryrid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cryrid interpolator
    If you're baking the polypaint from the highpoly in xnormal and you require the extra surface detail from the highpoly as a visual guide, you would probably be better off sticking with editing the polypaint on the highpoly sculpt instead.

Otherwise you won't be able to view your normal map on your lowpoly model in zbrush. The closest you can get would probably be from a displacement map.