Home General Discussion

Working with non-profits and friends?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
jddg5wa polycounter lvl 8
So I recently offered to help a friend, who is starting a non-profit bird sanctuary, with their design work. I offered the help with the assumption it will be for no charge. I just want to help for the fun of it and build my portfolio.

What I am wondering, from anyone who has experience freelancing, do you do things any different for non-profits than regular clients?

I currently have a contract that I use for regular clients but I have no experience working non-profits. I'm not sure if there are things I should do differently.

Also it's a bit odd bringing up contracts with friends. Anyone have any advice on that?

Thanks!

Replies

• ExcessiveZero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ExcessiveZero polycounter lvl 6
    Nah not at all, making a contract is good, my best friend I have known for more than ten years is doing music for indie games im making ive included a profit sharing model and I drew up a contract with him, just tell him its so you know where you stand and what you can expect.

Some people see it that its going to be a "Oh you don't trust me" sort of thing, that's ludicrous the only reason you shouldn't trust someone is if they are avoiding having any paperwork, as contracts are anti douche protection, as much for them as for me, and when you're not dealing with douches they will never really even get mentioned once drawn up and done.