Home Dota 2

Selfmade Particle Effect

polycounter lvl 7
Offline / Send Message
ShorkGamer polycounter lvl 7
Hi folks,

so there is a selfmade particle effect in tf2 but why there is a selfmade gem thingy in dota 2 but without any effect. It may block the vision of the item it selves but I still think it would be cool to finally get a selfmade particle effect.

maybe we can create our own selfmade particle effect in order to make it balanced with the doto style and that it doesnt block the vision.

x-all-the-things-meme-generator-discuss-all-the-things-9c90ef.jpg

Replies

• Automedic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ShorkGamer wrote: »
    maybe we can create our own selfmade particle effect in order to make it balanced with the doto style and that it doesnt block the vision.

I agree that it would be really grand to have a self-made particle effect, since they already added it once on some of the first workshop items. It never really worked ingame though because it used the TF2 effect for it.

I also don't think that there should be a custom effect for every self-made item. One for all is enough. I'd be absolutely fine with a faint white, ascending glow placed over the hero's model, a bit like Abbadon's body glow, but upwards. It shouldn't be something too visible. I'd prefer it to be really faint, something oyu only notice at a second glance. :)
  • ike_ike
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ike_ike polycounter lvl 12
    here's a sprite sheet i made for self made particles
  • Reyne
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne polycounter lvl 6
    I think it would be fairly difficult to create a particle effect that would suit every hero/courier that would also not interfere with gameplay. As it is there are so many particle effects in the game that for a beginner it is incredibly difficult to understand what is going on.

Also, if we all made self made particle effects it wouldn't really communicate anything, as each one would be different right?

In my opinion implementing something like this to all self made items would provide very little for a considerable detriment to game play.

As it is, you you are interested in what another player is wearing you can look at that without too much trouble.
  • Automedic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Reyne wrote: »
    I think it would be fairly difficult to create a particle effect that would suit every hero/courier that would also not interfere with gameplay. As it is there are so many particle effects in the game that for a beginner it is incredibly difficult to understand what is going on.

Also, if we all made self made particle effects it wouldn't really communicate anything, as each one would be different right?

In my opinion implementing something like this to all self made items would provide very little for a considerable detriment to game play.

As it is, you you are interested in what another player is wearing you can look at that without too much trouble.

A very faint particle effect for all heroes would be the best choice, something barely noticeable so it won't interfere with the actually important ability effects. Something along the lines of other ambient hero particle effects.

It would be fairly easy actually to create a self-made particle effect that fits all heroes. #The DD rune for example also adds a glow over the entire hero's model, just recolour it, reduce the alpha and particle count significantly and change the sprite to something more misty. Done.
  • ReMixx
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Has anyone had any luck with the particle editor in Dota2 (Adding “-tools -nop4″ to the launch options)? I got it to open but I wasn't able to load a particle file successfully. I once was able to load an Elder Titan particle file into the Alien Swarm particle editor, but the video resolution was the garbage low default. Once I set the video resolution of the main Alien Swarm game to my native monitor resolution, the particle editor no longer opened the particle file like it did before.
  • vertical
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    vertical polycounter lvl 9
    I'm thinking, what about the sparks too and some glowing and/or a scrolling texture?
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    IMHO, when developing or working on anything of any worth, particles have always been the thing you have to constantly test and tweaking in engine to get that look. I mean look at the particle editors in Unity, or UDK. Super expansive. Just making a colored alpha in photoshop and hacking it into engine isn't really giving us the control we need/deserve to make high quality particles to accompany our models.

Until there's any kind of expedited pipeline specifically for particle work for the game, I don't think it will be ever up to the quality that the workshop submissions have submitted. I think we are valves mercy on this one, we are only kind of grasping at straws guessing how the particles will preform/work in engine.
  • Zipfinator
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zipfinator polycounter lvl 9
    heboltz3 wrote: »
    Until there's any kind of expedited pipeline specifically for particle work for the game, I don't think it will be ever up to the quality that the workshop submissions have submitted. I think we are valves mercy on this one, we are only kind of grasping at straws guessing how the particles will preform/work in engine.

wut you talkin about bro. You saw my Gyro set. Particles are pretty much fully understood by people familiar with other versions of Source. After my particle experiments it's just more likely I think that Valve's not interested in large particle changes that can interfere with quick recognition of abilities in teamfights or as with animation their pipeline just isn't optimized right now to be implementing community effects regularly.
  • heboltz3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Zipfinator wrote: »
    wut you talkin about bro.

I wasn't sure how much engine wrestlin' you did to get them to work in game so I didn't want to consider that a cemented pipeline. On top of that if the importer isn't giving you an input for it, I don't know if I'd consider that a solution. Sure we can put stuff in engine, and get it working kinda, but I'm talking about options for the importer I guess. As creative and duct-tapey as we can get with extra art bits(particles and animations) I wouldn't think that anything is set in good and perfect until valve approves it and throws it in the importer.