Home General Discussion

Book of Unwritten Tales 2

Noren
polycounter lvl 19
Offline / Send Message
Noren polycounter lvl 19
BoUT2_Streetb.jpg

Hi there,

King Art Games is currently running a Kickstarter campaign for a successor of their point and klick adventure The Book of Unwritten Tales, for which I'm doing graphics.

So far it's been going well, with a great start, and some goals are already met, but right now progress is a bit sluggish.

I'd like to invite you to visit

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kingartgames/the-book-of-unwritten-tales-2

and have a look for yourself, and if you like what you see, maybe spread the link around. It would be much appreciated. :)
Most of the material is still work in progress and a bit rough around the edges.

King Art started a behind the scenes series with the latest update today, so if you want to see an early ingame version of the scene above in motion, as well as a bit of an explanation (for the layman) about the techniques used, have a look at the updates.

Basically we are projecting the highpoly renderings on a very lowpoly geometry to be able to move the camera around in the scene to a degree, but without having to build everything in lowpoly and most importantly with very low hardware requirements.

Replies

• SH4DOWM4NTIZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SH4DOWM4NTIZ polycounter lvl 8
    Hey,

Looking great so far, loving the style and atmosphere :) Anything that inspired you in particular?

Nice 3 dimensional impression through the projection mapping, did you use anything beside normal maps for that?

And just gotta ask this one…what the hell is that traffic cone doing there? :D

Looking forward to see more behind the scene stuff, keep it up and good luck for reaching your stretch goal!
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Thx for your reply and the questions! :)

Basically we all are huge fans of the old Lucas Arts/filmgames adventures and especially Monkey Island, so I'd say to a degree we are trying to create our own modern version of them.
    I guess this screen is a good example of that.
    MI_1.jpg
    (Supposedly the Ploenlein in Rothenburg ob der Tauber was an inspiration for this scene, btw., don´t know if it is true, though. )
    MI_2.gif
    As you can see, the traffic cone is a nod to MI, too.
    It's just meant to show that this way is blocked right now, but since some people get easily annoyed by illogical stuff like that, I don't know if it will make it into the game.
    Then again the character you play in this scene is a very naive and law-abiding guy. ;)

The backgrounds aren't using normal maps, btw, but are prelit.
    Lightsources can turn off and on and cast convincing shadows of the characters on the background, but the lights can't move.(In cases where we want to do that, we'll have to work with normals after all. )
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    The traffic cone is great, it immediately made me think of Monkey Island and other old point and click adventure games.
  • joebount
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    joebount polycounter lvl 12
    And the back alley from Monkey 4 (or 3, the cartoony one)):)
  • SH4DOWM4NTIZ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SH4DOWM4NTIZ polycounter lvl 8
    Ah, I see, haven’t played any of the Monkey Island games (please don’t kill me:))so didn’t get that reference, but I think it would be funny having it there anyways.

For the projection mapping again…so you build, light and render everything in 3ds max and then bake the diffuse with the lighting information from that? Could you maybe give a short breakdown of your workflow, because I am still kind of unsure what information it is you are projecting.
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    @joebount:

I haven't played 3 or 4 in a while, so unfortunately I can't remember which alley you are talking about, but as long as this remembers you about anything MI related I´m happy. :)

@SH4DOWM4TIZ

For the lowpolies we have two textures.
    One without the shadow casting lights and one with the additional light alone.
    But both aren´t just the lit diffuse but a complete rendering.
    Basically a standard highpoly rendering (in layers) camera-projected onto the lowpoly and then baked into a texture atlas.
  • Noren
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Noren polycounter lvl 19
    Out now!

[ame]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TIa042jr_k[/ame]

(I will be gone for a couple of days, just dropping the release-(spoof)-trailer in here.)
  • SuperFranky
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    SuperFranky polycounter lvl 10
    I still haven't played the first one, it's sitting on my hard drive and I just can't get around to it.
  • Chase
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Chase polycounter lvl 9
    This looks fantastic!