Home General Discussion

Degree Concern

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
We hear all the time about individuals making it in this industry with an art degree or no degree at all. But what about making it with an entirely different degree?

My degree is actually in Business Administration. But I have realized creating art is what I really want to do.

So my question is, would having a business degree instead of an art degree look really out of place in a resume that is trying to focus on acquiring a junior artist position? I know the weight is more focused on the actual portfolio, but still, wouldn't it raise more questions/flags from potential employers than it would actually help my cause?

Any thoughts? Am I just being paranoid?

Thanks.

Replies

• MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Tobbo wrote: »
    Any thoughts? Am I just being paranoid?

Thanks.

A Business degree is pretty good as leverage in my opinion. If you have a portfolio-that-gets-jobs and a leadership personality, the degree will definitely help you rise up in the long run (maybe Producer career track).

Figure out how you can use it to your advantage in your interviews. Can you say you showed hard work and commitment in finishing and graduating....etc.
  • VelvetElvis
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VelvetElvis polycounter lvl 12
    You are being paranoid. When I hire someone, it's the portfolio first. I might ask a question why you have a degree in something different, but to me what matters is that you completed a program. I'm sure you can draw parallels with what you learned and how you can use those in a studio.

My brother has a degree in landscape architecture, yet has never set foot inside a landscape architecture studio. Instead, he found his passion as a firefighter. But just having that degree helped him as it shows completion and a general rounded education.
  • garcellano
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garcellano greentooth
    I wouldn't say it would raise a flag. You should be fine since it's more towards your portfolio. I use to work with a guy years ago who has a business degree, eventually got into vfx/compositing, and is now in the vfx/film industry.
  • shabba
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    shabba polycounter lvl 15
    You are just being paranoid. Having another degree helps you be well rounded /w life experiences that aren't just focused on one single thing. Whether you have a degree or not, its all skill based. So just prove you can do the job and you'll be fine.

:) I have a 4 year BA in finance /w no art related education.
  • EarthQuake
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Business degree is a very good thing long term for a career in the industry, you pretty much need something like that or an insane amount of experience to get higher management positions.

Plus its good to have something to fall back on not related to games, burn out rate in the games industry is very high.
  • Tobbo
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tobbo polycounter lvl 11
    Thank you all for taking the time to respond. Maybe I was just over thinking it. :)