Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Fellow before the gdc

valuemeal
polycounter lvl 6
Offline / Send Message
valuemeal polycounter lvl 6
Alright fellows, I wanted to make a dude before the gdc but I am stumped.

Someone suggested I model this fellow

76H3OZE.jpg

but I felt as though I should make this one taller, and I wasn't sure if folks would like the tube like arms because the last dude had them.

this is what I have thus far, what are your sentiments,
feeling rather stumped fellows.

I know i could finish this one if i knew what to do next. Just copy or make a few adjustments?

LXM7j6g.jpg

Replies

• ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    Hey Morris, since this is an exercise to prepare for gdc, and ostensibly your objective for gdc is going to be trying to find a job, have you considered making a character that falls a little more squarely into the types of characters that developers are using these days, something in a well known style or something more realistic.

I do enjoy your style, and I know you generally slant away from meat fellows etc., it's just a thought. Something to show a developer/employer more clearly that you are capable of working within their style and toward their goals, rather than a portfolio totally geared towards your own personal style, which, again, I do enjoy.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex

As I was about to drift off, however I noticed that you posted.
    I have actually been trying new approaches to 3D over the course of the last year.

I've done low res phone soldiers
    character sculpts of dudes from popular games that people in the industry suggested,
    lower poly hand painted characters, that I often shunned in the past,
    characters who were inspired by different games suggested by industry people and I even
    updated some of my old characters so that they would fit into prospective company's pipeline or look more like their product.

I am not trying to be a stagnate fellow, or keep to my style, if I was I would have copied this one verbatim, instead I caught myself and decided to make this one taller and look as though it belonged more so to a certain studio than to myself. This one is actually a redesign of a character I did last year to tell you the truth.

I am not trying to argue or talk back, I just want you to see that I am giving an honest effort and try new techniques.

I think I might doze off now though
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    For a couple of days I tried to do something than I usual would do. I tried making the character like everyone else's fantasy fembots; however folks unanimously proclaimed that the original concept was better and would actually fit be better suited for one of the stuidos I am applying to at the gdc. Since there is a week before the gdc, might do a prop challenge or something to be a tad more appeasing if you'd like.

Today, I have to two renders. are these too saturated or are they good to go for comp?

e1gR6kG.jpg

xL2VLhE.jpg
  • RMeeks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like the saturation could be ok but the lighting and use of bloom could be better. In the first image the values seem really flat. I am glad that you went in this direction with the character. There could be some useful information Here.
  • valuemeal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GmJTox2.jpg
    GykRJgZ.jpg

ok how is that, now that I referenced the dota thing