Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

[WIP] GuildWars2 Norn Female Char

polycounter lvl 5
Offline / Send Message
M4rt3 polycounter lvl 5
Hello polycounters!:D
This is my character for the internship selection at ArenaNet. Although i'm aware that to get the internship as an european citizen i need to be allowed to work within the U.s. i decided to give it a shot. (You never know :poly122: )

I finished blocking out all the main shapes and I'm currently working on the small details (legs folds, decorations etc.)
the final model will have to be within 7k tris with one texture 1024x1024 (diffuse, normal, spec)

if you have any feedback/critic it would help me alot (i want to avoid to have stuff looking weird once i got into baking) :)

BPR_Render01.jpg

Turn_00.jpg

Replies

• M4rt3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M4rt3 polycounter lvl 5
    update:
    texturing in progress :D.
    i'm still working on the diffuse map (with some test on the specular map on the upper armor parts).

the model right now is around 6,5k tris. the texture size i'm using in photoshop is 2048 but on this render i resized them to 1024.

p.s.
    the fur sucks. i'm still working on it xD

marmoset04.jpg

as always any crit is really welcome
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I think overall the gesture/pose of the model is a little stiff and rigid, it could be pushed a little more for better rhythm. The materials right now are a little clean but as you mentioned you're still working on the diffuse. Looks like a solid piece man, keep going!
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Make the metal areas of your diffuse much much darker. Metal is mostly specular reflection with very little to no diffuse contribution. If you can take advantage of colored spec do. Also get some red tones in to the darker areas of the skin. Model is looking nice keep at it!
  • M4rt3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M4rt3 polycounter lvl 5
    Thanks guys!

Torch: for the pose i'm going to give her a simple rig and a more relaxed pose. about the texture the thing is that usually the armors in Gw2 tend to be really clean and bright (but i'll put in some noise anyway) :)

StevSton: yeah it would be better to have a spec color map but i this case the only allowed is a greyscale for the amount :(

Update:

still working on the fur on the back and shoulder.

marmoset05.jpg

this is the ref i'm using for texturing (it's the male version of this armor set):

GW2_Norn-raceImage.png
  • M4rt3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M4rt3 polycounter lvl 5
    quick update. i have built a simple rig (no hands) to try some pose and i worked more on the fur.

screenshot011.jpg

any crit, advice or wathever is welcome as always :)
  • M4rt3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M4rt3 polycounter lvl 5
    hey guys, yesterday i finished working on my entry for the comicon challenge, so i manage to worked more on this one.
    I Think it's almost done. i'm not quite sure about the fur on the back and i will probably change it again °-°

06.jpg
  • M4rt3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M4rt3 polycounter lvl 5
    Hi, guys, i just sent my application and i want to share with you my final result of this art test.

hope you like it and thx everyone who commented or just checked the progress :)

presentation.jpg

technical2.jpg

highRes.jpg

technical.jpg
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    One of my favourites, great job bro :)
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Very well done.
    A quick question for you though, how do you make the cool pattern on her front loin cloth ?
  • M4rt3
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    M4rt3 polycounter lvl 5
    PyrZern wrote: »
    Very well done.
    A quick question for you though, how do you make the cool pattern on her front loin cloth ?

that pattern is copied from a norse mythology decoration (Odin's crows) i found on google (also modified with a photoshop celtic triskell brush to fit the shape of the cloth piece):)
  • Add3r
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Add3r polycounter lvl 11
    Yeah, this concept has been done just sooooooooo many times, but you managed to take a stale concept and make me say wow. Really nice work man. Great job on the test.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    M4rt3 wrote: »
    that pattern is copied from a norse mythology decoration (Odin's crows) i found on google (also modified with a photoshop celtic triskell brush to fit the shape of the cloth piece):)

Awesome :)