Home General Discussion

Reliable Solid State? Poll

polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
nufftalon polycounter lvl 11
I call upon the power of the reliable 3d community to decide which solid state is reliable and won't crap out in a year. I have listed all the brands of solid state choose your brand include your model in your post and what you think of it.

Which one you use?
How long has it lasted you?
What kind of problems have you run into with it?
Do you feel it does your build justice?

Replies

• unit187
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    I use intel one for over a year, works absolutely fine.
  • Ark
    Offline / Send Message
    Ark polycounter lvl 11
    Had a Samsung 840 258GB for about 2 years, newer EVO versions are supposed to be even faster.

I have windows on it obviously for the insanely quick bootup times and my most played games or games that generally have long load times. Use a program called SteamMover (There are others) to quickly copy games between SSD and standard HDDs.

I really think there worth it for the speed increase you get from them and there becoming a lot more affordable as far as price per GB goes.
  • nufftalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Damn that's pretty fast. 2 year and still chugging? That's awesome:)

SAMSUNG 840 PRO
    SPEED TEST via BLACK MAGIC DISK SPEED BENCHMARK
    *WRITE: 495.8 MB/s
    *READ: 518.5 MB/s
    Ark wrote: »
    Had a Samsung 840 258GB for about 2 years, newer EVO versions are supposed to be even faster.

I have windows on it obviously for the insanely quick bootup times and my most played games or games that generally have long load times. Use a program called SteamMover (There are others) to quickly copy games between SSD and standard HDDs.

I really think there worth it for the speed increase you get from them and there becoming a lot more affordable as far as price per GB goes.
  • nufftalon
    Offline / Send Message
    I like the fact that this intel seems reliable and also comes with a 5 year warranty on amazon. Decisions, decisions.
    [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Intel-2-5-Inch-Internal-Reseller-SSDSC2BW240A4K5/dp/B00DTPYT78/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1393779157&sr=8-1&keywords=intel+solid+state"]Intel Solid State[/ame]
    unit187 wrote: »
    I use intel one for over a year, works absolutely fine.
  • Fuiosg
    Offline / Send Message
    Fuiosg polycounter lvl 5
    I trust intel, my SSD is over a year old and still says 100% life in the SSD toolbox thing, and it's my primary drive.
  • nufftalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Yes intel seems more reliable as they offer 5 year warranty samsung offers 3 year warranty. Intel has another 530 series thats 240gb but has slower write speeds and offers a 3 year warranty and costs more money which is weird.

This one comes with 5 year warranty though
    840 Pro Series MZ-7PD256BW 256GB SATA 6.0Gb/s 2.5" Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
    Fuiosg wrote: »
    I trust intel, my SSD is over a year old and still says 100% life in the SSD toolbox thing, and it's my primary drive.
  • Justin Meisse
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    I can't vote in polls for some reason, some sort of bug in the system. I've had a Crucial SSD for about 2-3 years now and an Intel SSD for about 2 years before that. No problems with either.
  • oXYnary
    Offline / Send Message
    oXYnary polycounter lvl 18
    Have used crucial, intel, ocz, and samsung.

Ocz is showing signs of wear.

Honestly would go with whatever gives you the best warranty. Stay away from sandforce controllers. I think Samsung makes their own controller. While crucial uses another type.

Of all I have used, crucial offered the most firmware updates. Which to me signifies not throwing customers off the bandwagon when they release newer models.
  • Bek
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    If you spend some time researching you'll find that different ssd's use different tech, hence why the samsung 840 pro's have a 5 year warranty while the non-pro's have only a three year. My older falcon II died after a few (2 or 3) years; currently I have an 840 pro.
  • Alemja
    Offline / Send Message
    Alemja quad damage
    I had a Crucial M4 for about 2 years (got it Nov 2011) until it just died on me a couple of weeks ago. It pretty much started throwing BSOD without much forewarning, ran great until then.

Needless to say the Samsung drives seem to be the only ones that are rated consistently well and is what I have now. SSDs are also much cheaper than they where a couple of years ago, you really owe it to yourself to get one if you can afford it. There is really no going back once you see how fast it makes your OS run.
  • m4dcow
    Offline / Send Message
    m4dcow interpolator
    I have a 256gb OCZ Vertex 3, from when they came out almost 3 years ago. I haven't had any issue with them, but I know there have been some issues with the vertex 3, and much more with the vertex 2 so I couldn't really recommend.
  • aajohnny
    Offline / Send Message
    aajohnny polycounter lvl 13
    I had 2 Crucial M4s and 1 survived, it died within maybe 6 months. I have a Samsung and it's been great and seems to run better than the Crucial. I recommend Samsung to anybody, and I can't live without a SSD now.
  • nufftalon
    Offline / Send Message
    oh ok thanks for clearing that up was wondering what that was all about.
    Bek wrote: »
    If you spend some time researching you'll find that different ssd's use different tech, hence why the samsung 840 pro's have a 5 year warranty while the non-pro's have only a three year. My older falcon II died after a few (2 or 3) years; currently I have an 840 pro.
  • nufftalon
    Offline / Send Message
    That sucks man sorry to hear about that. Thanks for your feedback hopefully it will help other users when they make their decision to SSD
    Alemja wrote: »
    I had a Crucial M4 for about 2 years (got it Nov 2011) until it just died on me a couple of weeks ago. It pretty much started throwing BSOD without much forewarning, ran great until then.

Needless to say the Samsung drives seem to be the only ones that are rated consistently well and is what I have now. SSDs are also much cheaper than they where a couple of years ago, you really owe it to yourself to get one if you can afford it. There is really no going back once you see how fast it makes your OS run.
  • nufftalon
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah I mean technology can be unpredictable, you gotta just hope you dont get a bad batch that the worker fell asleep when they made them or god knows what. I actually never knew anything about OCZ Vertex until today they are a bit more pricier but I believe it is because the vendor knows they have a good reliable product.
    m4dcow wrote: »
    I have a 256gb OCZ Vertex 3, from when they came out almost 3 years ago. I haven't had any issue with them, but I know there have been some issues with the vertex 3, and much more with the vertex 2 so I couldn't really recommend.
  • nufftalon
    Offline / Send Message
    I may get a samsung I am loving what I am reading online about them. I can;t wait until my 3ds max loads in 1 second lol
    aajohnny wrote: »
    I had 2 Crucial M4s and 1 survived, it died within maybe 6 months. I have a Samsung and it's been great and seems to run better than the Crucial. I recommend Samsung to anybody, and I can't live without a SSD now.
  • nufftalon
  • JedTheKrampus
    Offline / Send Message
    JedTheKrampus polycounter lvl 8
    I had a Crucial M4 drive that lasted about a year. Fortunately for me, I was still able to move the contents of the drive over to a new hard disk, as while Windows is useless for data recovery off a failing SSD, Linux is not.
  • nufftalon
    Offline / Send Message
    good to know Jed didn't know that. I haven't used linux in a while used to dualboot ubuntu years ago on my old duo core build.