Home Technical Talk

Major new version of Spacedraw for Android

polycounter lvl 3
Offline / Send Message
Scalisoft polycounter lvl 3
icon.pngProfessional 3D modeling on tablets and smartphones is viable finally!

Major new version of Spacedraw for Android available, further extensive updates to follow frequently

Spacedraw
  • is a full-featured 3D-modeling program for all Android tablets and smartphones
  • is developed from scratch to make use of multi-touch and motion-sensors throughout
  • introduces novel ways of viewing, drawing & modeling

Features include
  • CAD construction
  • advanced polygon & patch modeling
  • lighting & texture mapping
  • 3d-painting

Since the release in October 2012, Spacedraw has proved suitable for creating professional artwork, see the images below, done 100% with Spacedraw on a 4" smartphone (using beta versions of the new release).

However, Spacedraw was not developed further for over a year, and serious bugs and shortcomings prevented its application in real-world projects. This will change with the release of version 1.1 today, that fixes over 20 serious bugs and adds more than 10 important features, e.g.
  • orthographic projection
  • backface culling
  • freezing objects
  • unselect tools
  • repeated extrude
  • completely redesigned reference CS management

The further development runs at full speed now, next updates soon will bring
  • fundamental usability improvements
  • interactive help and tutorials
  • substantial performance increase
  • stylus support
  • a complete revision of the painting tools
  • a multitude of new functionalities, e.g. advanced rendering capabilities, boolean operations
  • full-featured animation

Suggestions for improvements are highly welcome and will be taken seriously!

See www.scalisoft.com for further information

Spacedraw is available as a free version without ads on Google Play and Amazon that can be used with the following limitations:
  • only scenes with up to 1000 vertices can be saved or exported as .obj files
  • the undo-history cannot be saved to files
A key can be purchased for currently just $2.99 (until March 8, then $11.99) to remove these limitations (Google Play , Amazon)

spaceA.jpg

cathedr.jpg

14-Bedroom.jpg

tank_.jpg

a2.jpg

s1.jpgs3.jpg

Replies

• James Ordner
    I got the update. I hadn't really played around with it too much before the update, but the first thing I noticed was the designated areas that show panning/rotation, etc. It makes navigation much much easier!
  • hansolocambo
    Offline / Send Message
    hansolocambo polycounter lvl 8
    I got the update. I hadn't really played around with it too much before the update, but the first thing I noticed was the designated areas that show panning/rotation, etc. It makes navigation much much easier!

Yep I agree, I've been modeling a lot on Spacedraw lately and even if my thumbs find easily the right areas, I keep those guiding lines ON. They're a tiny improvement compared to the rest of the heavy coding work made by Scalisoft on this version 1.1, but a necessary one. I went through the new preferences panel and it's really amazing the amount of new clever options in there.
    Well I go back to my modeling ;) If anyone have trouble beginning just ask there, I'll help ;)

HanSoloCambo.
  • Scalisoft
    Offline / Send Message
    improved version 1.1.2 online

scene files of the 12 elaborate scenes shown in the gallery on the website are now freely available there

Key on sale 1 more day (until March 10, 23:59 PST) for $2.99 instead of $11.99

fac.jpg
  • Scalisoft
    Offline / Send Message
    hansolocambo has uploaded nice videos - I highly recommend watching them, especially the cupcake tutorial, - to see how you can work with Spacedraw when you've mastered it, on 4" Smartphone!
    - learning from them may require much attention since they are quite fast and without explanation.
    Get them here
  • Scalisoft
    Offline / Send Message
    version 1.2 out with many new view-navigation features
    - undo/redo view: analogous to normal undo; there's also a view-history-list
    - view-panel: lets you save and load custom views (with previews)
    - frame selected / frame all: tap the view-zone with 2 / 3 fingers
    - the "perspective distortion" can be adjusted
    Further, many fixes and improvements for selection and undo.

A thread dedicated to WIP done with Spacedraw has been established here - you are encouraged to post your art there!

distss.jpg
    dist2ss.jpg
  • pior
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    Heya -

I know there has been some videos posted already, but they do suffer from being low frame rate and from not really showing what it feels like to interact with the app.

I think it would be great to show a simple over the shoulder view of someone using the app, modeling something like a piece of the tank above. Like this (but in 1:1 realtime) :

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YldZdH7i7xQ"]Martin Krol - Shape & Form - YouTube[/ame]

At the moment, the (apparently) cluttered interface and the lack of media makes it hard for me to be excited about the program - even though it sure looks quite advanced ...
  • Scalisoft
    Offline / Send Message
    You're absolutely right - there will be commented videos and interactive tutorials in very few weeks after the UI has been improved!
  • Scalisoft
    Offline / Send Message
    update with crucial fixes for transformations and view change out!
  • Mcers
    If spacedraw adding animation feature ..
    Will be awesome...
  • Mcers
    It will be awesome if adding animation feature for spacedraw.
  • Mcers
    It will be awesome app is u add animation features to
    animate object , insert keyframes,rigging the character , lip sync
  • Scalisoft
    Offline / Send Message
    got you - working on it!
  • Seanbcg
    Offline / Send Message
    Seanbcg null

Here is a chess piece model I worked on in Spacedraw.  I love how much control we have on just a phone/Tablet.  I can even work on cage modeling without any issue since we can easily merge vertices and extrude.  As others have said, you can't make a 3D short from this program, but can easily be a part of a professional workflow.  Especially since you can export them as .OBJ then exported into a Desktop program for refined texturing, lighting, animating, and high quality rendering/Compositing.

Such a great tool I will be using for quite a while in my personal workflow.

Keep up the great work!
  • poopipe
    Offline / Send Message
    poopipe grand marshal polycounter
    does spacedraw support mouse or pen input ?