polycounter lvl 15
Offline / Send Message
leslievdb polycounter lvl 15
for those who don`t know yet the new 3d anime fanart challenge is up
https://www.facebook.com/groups/anime3Dcontest/

3D Anime Fanart Challenge Worklog

Naruto VS Sasuke

Description:
I`m going to depict the everlasting battle between Naruto as Sasuke, the two main protagonists of the series.
The piece should have a dynamic/aggressive feel to it while still hinting at the inner relations the characters have. Naruto should be withholding from killing while Sasuke would rather go in for the kill.
The demonfox and white snake should be pure aggression, big open biting mouths at their opponents in the middle.

Characters involved:
Sasuke,Naruto, DemonFox, White Snake

EhETsJz.png

Pose ideas:
High Vs low, kunai vs sword clash. Sasuke leaping in from sky naruto holding sword back with kunai
8mjzC3i.png Swirl , ying yang balance to the characters . on leg on ground one leg higher , backwards leaping
sEZZm7o.png Forward, both having their weapons on critical impact points

lr6sWwE.png Having the fox and snake as borderelements will also give the option for stabilitypoints for the maincharacters. So if the character is floating in mid air his feeth could be touching an upgoing arc of the snakebody for instance.

Example of scene

nMJZQ1x.png
Early considerations:

-Faces will be partly stylized, it’s going to ride the fine line between realism and stylization but I have to avoid that uncanny valley feel.

-Hair/fur will be stylized from the getgo, realistic anime hair approaches have the tendency to look fake when the haircut is a bit too specific (narutos hair especially). Plus i`m aiming towards print so it should good stylized/sculpted anyway.

- Naruto will be wearing his long jacket so it can have nice waving cloth to help express the dynamics.

- I want emotion out of the piece especially displayed in the faces. This is going to take a lot of work to get right.

- This is aimed at render (vray) and print so I need to make sure I have uwrappable lowerpoly geometry. Probably going to make use of zremesher since this isn`t aimed at being animateable meshes and the unwraps can perhaps be done using uv-master. The only consideration here is that I don`t want to end up with a texture per subtool so i`ll need to make sure to pack things together outside of zbrush.

That’s it for now soon more updates

Replies

• ArtisticTiger
    Offline / Send Message
    ArtisticTiger polycounter lvl 5
    Really looking forward to this!, so far great work.
  • Sugus
    Offline / Send Message
    Sugus polycounter lvl 7
    As a fan of both the series and your artwork i can deffinately say i'm looking forward to this :D

I know you are going with the Nine tails and the Snake, but let me give you some lore insight (not sure wether you read/watch the manga/anime).

In a nutshell:
    The snake that Sasuke is depicted with comes from his master, Orochimaru. So if you were to depic a battle between the two you could have Naruto in his Sage mode and have the frogg as his animal, as his Master, Jiraiya, teaches him that. Orochimaru and Jiraiya we're also team members and sort of have a very similar story to Naruto vs Sasuke, almost as if their struggle had been passed down to their apprentices.

It might be moving away from what you want but i thought i'd comment on it.

As I said before, looking forward to it :)
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks guys

yeah i watch the series :)

the thing with the snake and fox is that they can be very organic shapes. The giant toad and sasukes susanoo for example are too box shaped elements and im not able to make interwoven borderelements out of them so thats why i avoid it.
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    First step, Faceblockouts

I tried to find the right balance in stylization for both characters, probably will still shift things around while i progress.

The hair for both is just a blockout for reference so not something set in stone stylewize. i`ll probably be going for looser and sharper strands for both in the end

feq7VTa.jpg
  • LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Nice progress! It looks to me like there's something up with Sasuke's eye proportions though..

And Naruto's hair has some pretty heavy flow. I'd have it slightly harder/spiky. Looks more Super Saiyan than Fire Fox.

edit - you already addressed the hair :P

All the best :)
  • UltraLrod
    Offline / Send Message
    UltraLrod polycounter lvl 7
    I like the first pose. Gives you a reminisce of when they fought at a younger age. If you do that can make it the nine tails jumping on the snake or vice verse. Looking forward to this.
  • AA3D
    Offline / Send Message
    AA3D polycounter lvl 3
    a big fan of ur work :)
    cant wait to see more of this
  • BrendtheCow
    Offline / Send Message
    BrendtheCow polycounter lvl 8
    Looking great so far man!
  • leslievdb
    Offline / Send Message
    thanks a lot guys,

Ultralord: yeah thats why i like it too , its gonna be harder to balance out though for a figurine that could get printed

heres a quick shot of the body blockout, not sure yet how im going to approach the final cloth

Ao58OOH.png
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Prettttty neat stuff, you got a sub my friend.