Home Dota 2

Tourney Ticket Discussion Thingy

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
Heyooo! So general discussion time.

Here I am, planning my move, packing, and stuff when I got approached by a tourney about my Chuu character I did with Sukotto. My initial reaction was "okay well, I guess its okay, but I don't know how I feel about losing a lot of potential profit to a tournament who had no hand in the process."

(As I've always said, I don't really care about the money as much as the process, but it wouldn't make sense to lose profit potential. Like after the fact marketing when an item is about 2 weeks old and already at X amount of views and above 90% positive rating doesn't seem smart, just seems like wasting money.)

So when I mentioned that, the tourney guy was like, "Oh, I see you have another courier, that is interesting one as well."

So this really kind of irked me. It felt less like a decisive "We want THIS courier." and more like "We want A courier." From a buisness perspective it makes sense to just attach something already done with a high rating, but it just seems kind of shady, like they don't really care. (Not really expecting hugs and creative input, just support through the creation process.)

Maybe I just have a big ego, or maybe I just don't care about the money with this whole thing. The other day one of my main bros asked me if I wanted to talk to a tourney about attaching an older ward I did to their ticket. So maybe it's just common practice.

Either way, I felt weird so I let him know I'd get back to him after I touched base with my partners.

So has this happened to you guys? Have you had experiences similar? What did you do? Am I crazy from packing?

So yeah, packing.Tickets.Weird deals.Sketchy Vibes. Uncertainty. Forever.

Replies

• GhostDetector
    Offline / Send Message
    GhostDetector polycounter lvl 10
    Well my advice is that if they did nothing, they should get nothing.
  • spacemonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    Well I have been approached about this too. I have to admit I would prefer to keep my personal pieces as a single submission and not attach them to a tournament.

From my reasoning I make things which I would like to see in the game, take the risk and use my creativity.

If I was collaborating on specifically making a courier for a tournament, I would be sharing that process with the guys running the tournament. Essentially I wouldn't be taking all the risk on myself, it would be shared. I would want the end result to be good and I would want to be confident that the Tournament organisers could help get the content into the game. In the end there is a set date

One feels like a job while the other feels like a personal project! :)
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Well I have been approached about this too. I have to admit I would prefer to keep my personal pieces as a single submission and not attach them to a tournament.

From my reasoning I make things which I would like to see in the game, take the risk and use my creativity.

If I was collaborating on specifically making a courier for a tournament, I would be sharing that process with the guys running the tournament. Essentially I wouldn't be taking all the risk on myself, it would be shared. I would want the end result to be good and I would want to be confident that the Tournament organisers could help get the content into the game. In the end there is a set date

One feels like a job while the other feels like a personal project! :)

For the record, this pretty much elegantly sums up my feels, but I'd love to hear some other stories too/ other sides of the argument. I've recently heard rumors of this happening more and more often, and I'd like to get some sort of "educated stance" on the matter rather then just going with my gut and thinking it's wrong.
  • rock
    I guess from the tournament-guys perspective its a little simplier.. He needs something to attract people to buy a ticket > He likes your creation (no matter when or for what purpose you did it) > And he feels like your item would convince enough players to buy their ticket.

End of story, no creative requirements most of the time, plain business how you mentioned earlier. And at the end of the day, for the purpose of earning money, definitely legit.
  • spacemonkey
    Offline / Send Message
    spacemonkey polycounter lvl 18
    rock wrote: »
    I guess from the tournament-guys perspective its a little simplier.. He needs something to attract people to buy a ticket > He likes your creation (no matter when or for what purpose you did it) > And he feels like your item would convince enough players to buy their ticket.

End of story, no creative requirements most of the time, plain business how you mentioned earlier. And at the end of the day, for the purpose of earning money, definitely legit.

And that makes sense.

So from an artist perspective I might think this; If it means a good piece of content gets into the game after having been stuck in workshop limbo forever then why not? If it provides you with a way to get your items into the game and thats your end goal and for whatever reason that hasnt happened yet... then it might be appealing to actually see it in game.
  • kite212
    Offline / Send Message
    kite212 polycounter lvl 15
    I don't think you should look at it as a potential revenue loss. Yes you would make less money than if the item made it on it's own, but there is no guarantee of an item being in even if it is well rated. If they will treat you fair, and give you a reasonable cut on the split, and you really want the item in then why not go for it? Personally I would be inclined to go for it as this could also lead to more opportunities. In the end though you need to do what feels right to you :)
  • MdK
    Offline / Send Message
    MdK polycounter lvl 9
    Myself and SLIMEface had an offer by FGCL to use our Kunkka set for their tournament at a 50/50 split. We had a lot of back and forth but we have eventually decided to go with it, as we feel like the set won't be added to the game outside of the CNY event. We are still waiting to hear back from Valve on it though, so there's still a chance that it may not be accepted.

Today though the person I have been in contact with has told me they may not use it for their main tournament and only the non-pros. This wasn't discussed with us originally and we assumed it would be the pro tournament, so I'm not sure what that would mean, almost certainly a smaller income. We are waiting for Valves word and then we are going to find out a bit more but I will report back here.
  • mihalceanu
    Offline / Send Message
    mihalceanu polycounter lvl 6
    heboltz3 : In my oppinion , for the right cut and if they wont get into your process to much ( with excessive feedback and such) its fine here and there .
    About they'r cut ; well from what I've seen , they put the prize money, attract the teams , make a Schedule , get a caster .
    The bundle prize is ussualy bigger than what would your single item be , so if you get around a 50/50 cut , I think you wont loose too much of a profit.

Hope it helped

Offcourse , I've met guys who started by saing : "oh , these guys made this courier for 10% , you should for 15" , or change the agreement mid process couse " they use some of they'r cut to the prize pool " and such . There is that too ;
  • gordon13
    I've had something similar happen for one of my couriers however the whole thing was a lot more sketchy. The guy added me on Steam and made no mention of tournament or anything he just wanted to buy it (I assume it was to be sold as part of some sort of tournament. I mean what else would you do with it?). When I asked more details of what he wanted to do with it, remuneration etc he just disappeared.

Glad I didn't give it away as soon as he said he wanted to buy it.

On the other hand if he was legit, it might have been a way to get it in game which would have been awesome..

The way I see it there's no real risk. If your courier gets in game, that's a win. If it doesn't, it's not like you lost anything. You still have all the original files and can do whatever you want (unless you sign a contract but that seems like it would be really overkill to me)..

If that courier does get in it's likely you would gain exposure. Which might get some tournament organisers to ask you to design a courier for them, in which case they would be sharing the risk etc which would be a perfect scenario really.

Just my 2 cents. Hope it helps.