Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

==Iridium Soldiers== Our Kickstarter Journey.

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
pixelpatron polycounter
The time has come for me (and friends) to start our own game company and create our first game. A little background on me....I've been making environments for games for over 14 years. It's been a wild ride and it's time to apply everything I know about games/art/passion into something of my own making. I thought it'd be fun to share my journey in creating a game from scratch with all of you. We have no funding at this point, we'll be throwing it up on Kickstarter at the end of March. Hopefully all goes well, and we'll move forward with the project. None of this is considered "final art" only WIP and proof of concept. With all that out of the way let's got rolling!! :)

Game: Iridium Soldiers. I'm a huge fan of turn based games like Moonbase Commander, Advance Wars, Fire Emblem, and Field Commander. This is where we begin. I'm envisioning a turn based strategy game that mixes a lot of my favorite elements from these games; blended with our own special style of creativity, humor, and design. We plan to release on IOS and PC with stretch goals for other platforms (I really want this on my VITA), but more info on that later, for now let's get things started.

Bear in mind all of this VERY WIP and all in various states of completion working towards our pitch video.

First things first. Company name and splash screen. I'm envisioning the little robot coming in from the side and shooting the logo from black and white to full color. Almost like blasting off the rust.
12810359535_e7781ee503_o.jpg

Up next Iridium Soldiers main badge and logo. Possible title screen. Background temp.
12810453413_6f2b51a88d_o.jpg

Here are the two units I've got so far.
12810453453_63bb3b9201_o.jpg
12810359555_4542c4907b_o.jpg

Comments/feedback greatly appreciated!! Thank you for your encouragement and support.....let the journey begin! More to come.....

Replies

• lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    looks cool! 2D or 3D?
  • Gazu
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gazu polycounter lvl 11
    Looks Cool so far! ;)
    Which Engine you want to use?
  • praetor187
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    praetor187 polycounter lvl 11
    This looks really awesome i'll be following the progress for sure, and best of luck to you guys hope it all goes well! :)
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Gazu wrote: »
    Looks Cool so far! ;)
    Which Engine you want to use?

We're planning on using Unity. It'll be 2-D sprites for the final game, at an isometric angle.
  • dvisionvoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    dvisionvoid polycounter lvl 6
    Good luck on your project pixelpatron! :D
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Why mobile?

Can you think of a single strategy game you enjoy playing on mobile?

Touch screens suck for precision gameplay, and you will end up spending a lot of resources on something that isn't the best experience you could make. If you guys just decided to do mobile because it seems like it is something you should do, i would reconsider and focus on making the best damn pc game you can.

If you want to talk about the market space on mobile send me a PM. That is the space i've worked in my entire career so i know it pretty damn well.

Also it sounds like you plan on baking out your 3d models to 2d... any reason for this? It makes no sense to do this if you are using a fully featured 3d engine.
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Muzz wrote: »
    Why mobile?

Can you think of a single strategy game you enjoy playing on mobile?

Touch screens suck for precision gameplay, and you will end up spending a lot of resources on something that isn't the best experience you could make. If you guys just decided to do mobile because it seems like it is something you should do, i would reconsider and focus on making the best damn pc game you can.

If you want to talk about the market space on mobile send me a PM. That is the space i've worked in my entire career so i know it pretty damn well.

Also it sounds like you plan on baking out your 3d models to 2d... any reason for this? It makes no sense to do this if you are using a fully featured 3d engine.

Yes I love Kingdom rush, although I play that on my tablet, and I think that works wonderfully. I've also sunk a huge amount of time into Pixel Junk Monsters on my Vita as well. Some stuff works with touch controls and some things not so much.....I believe Iridium Soldiers should work beautifully on touch based devices. We want to release on PC/Steam, but were a long ways off from that. You haven't played advance wars? This game is turned based, and precision isn't really necessary. Once I get to the environment stuff hopefully it'll make more sense.

We need to have up to 100 units on the map at any point and I don't believe you can do that on tablets, the joint count would kill it.
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    It's mech time!
    12811531045_143c43a599_o.jpg

And his big brother!
    12824138803_6c12e5ae44_o.jpg

Back to work I go.
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Started work on the other faction today, the thought is that the first faction would have rounded shapes, and the second would have squares. Instant readability on small phones and tablets. Color will help of course, but hopefully this will reinforce it even more.

His gun will have a ball of energy floating in front of the nub.....a mini lightning field, and the clamp will open and close down quickly when it fires. Hopefully it'll look cool. Our animator starts next week. Can't wait!

12847909483_717068d000_o.jpg
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Have you tried benchmarking yet or are you just assuming that you can't support that many bones. With something as simple as these guys you could get away with 6-10 bones each? (rome total was WAS a decade ago and tablets are probably more powerful than that gen of computers)

But i don't see how a turn based strategy with hundreds of units is going to be fun, unless you have the units in squads?

Not trying to be an asshole, just a devils advocate, as i do like the work you are doing. :).
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    I suggest you try and find a copy of Advance wars Muzz, cause your missing out. Most of the time you only need 20 or 30 units per side, so on average say 60 on screen, then take into account each unit needing about 14 joints per unit. That's 840 joints right there; and that is being somewhat conservative. I guess there have been others that have tried full 3-d (field commander being an example.) Yet I feel that the visual appeal of that game compared to advance wars; advance wars wins out partially due to great art direction, but also it's charm. 2D for now....we'll be doing some benchmarking for sure...I mean it'd be sweet in 3-D but I don't want to compromise what I have envisioned. I want the world maps to be detailed, and have a lot going on in them. Yet it is pretty sweet to see this stuff in 3-D. We haven't made any final decisions....just haven't crossed that bridge yet.
  • STRIKER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    STRIKER polycounter lvl 13
    dude this looks awesome, you have my support!
  • DWalker
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'd say stick with pre-rendered sprites unless you have a compelling reason to switch. Given the limitations of 3D, especially on mobile platforms, the sprites can look better than polygons.

So, what are some reasons for 3d, then?
    * Arbitrary rotation of the screen - rotating at fixed angles (as defined by the number of sides of the playfield's grid) are fine, but anything else really requires full 3D
    * Arbitrary zooming of the screen; both of these are largely design decisions - there are few times when it isn't sufficient to have limited viewing angles & distances.
    * Memory - assuming you have a reasonable texture size for each object (less than 1 texel/pixel at max zoom), it can actually take LESS memory for a model than the equivalent sprites once you take into account the 4/6/8 (for square, hex & oct grids) images per animation frame per animation. You'll also need to take into account models which are almost identical except for the texture - such as elite or damaged units.
    * Quicker changes - with the sprite method, you'll need to re-generate the sprites every time you make a change to the model OR the animations. Obviously, this won't affect the player, but it will impact the development time.

Of course, with some clever sleight-of-hand, you can use a hybrid 2D/3D approach for the best of both worlds. If an object is standing still, replace it with a sprite; when it's moving (attacking, walking, dying, whatever), use the 3D model. This will require some work, but could give the best results.
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    I am not an animator. And this proves it. This was just a test to show to our animator what I wanted. I also wanted to test how to make gif's for our banners on Kickstarter as well as our various webpages.

pew pew
    blue_blast_02.gif
    THIS IN NO WAY REPRESENTS FINAL ANIMATIONS! This is only a test.
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    I loved watching the Lego Movie the other day, if you haven't seen it....(and you love Lego's) you really need to. My first Lego set was this bad ass yellow castle. Complete with working drawbridge! Ah memories....stupid garage sale, sold it, I know, I'm an Idiot.
    375-castle.jpg

All the knights had these awesome helmets.....When I was a kid I took a magic marker to one of em' all black....I would often pretended they were the hawk-men from the 1980's Flash Gordon movie.
    Cas083.JPEG

Anybody want to 3-d print this guy so I can re-live my childhood?
    12916479064_4d04092c77_o.jpg

Back to work slave! Stop talking to your friends on the internet.:)
  • pixelpatron
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pixelpatron polycounter
    Never really got back to this sadly. The needs for a steady paycheck outweighs the dreams of personal conquest. Ahh well, maybe I can revisit this project one day....

It was really starting to look like something too. 

Mockup- combat screen & UI

The big faction leaders are temp (lifted from some robot image I found somewhere) as I hadn't gotten around to building those yet. 

I wish I could of stayed the course on this one......bucketlist dreams.