Home General Discussion

FengZhu's Community Site - DrawCrowd

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
maximumsproductions polycounter lvl 8
http://drawcrowd.com/

Fengzhu's community site has been launched while still in a beta phase many people awaited this. If anything another awesome site for ref.

Best part is you can toggle a gray or white background!

Replies

• MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Totally agree.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    You know if there's a forum for registered members? That's what I was expecting when FZ first mentioned his community.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Been trying to look for some hint of that through comments etc. alas to no avail I see no mention. That's what I expected too.. but I'm just going to go with the excuse of it's a soft launch site right now to keep my hopes up.
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Is it just me ? Images feel slow to load. It isn't big. And it's only JPG. But it takes a tad too long.
  • TrevorJ
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    TrevorJ polycounter lvl 9
    yeah i had the same thought. Thought it was just my internet
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn polycounter lvl 11
    Isn't this essentially the same thing as cghub?
  • Muzzoid
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Muzzoid polycounter lvl 10
    Communities built around/by singular artists always seem weird to me... (says the guy who frequently posts on 2)
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I can see where he'll make money off this.

http://drawcrowd.com/fzdriot
  • 2cat
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    2cat polycounter lvl 5
    Not bad, but when I first heard of it I thought it would be a little more akin to http://conceptartsessions.com/

I like Concept Art Sessions a lot because it promotes learning and giving feedback very well.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    So what's the actual difference between these sites? How is this new one different from cghub or conceptartsessions? I hear something about cghub charging people money, but I haven't experienced this myself.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bigjohn wrote: »
    I hear something about cghub charging people money, but I haven't experienced this myself.

You get HD res as a premium benefit. Saw a gray overalay for a recent cghub visit on somebody's gallery with a pop up promoting their pro version. But when I switched from firefox to chrome it was still clear like usual. I think they pick galleries with high visitor traffic.

The hook for Feng's "community" is because of the brand. The Feng Zhu brand. But no forum so far, so I was hoping he'd give random crits in his boards or at least interact more. His youtube channel is likely run by jr. staff in the comment replies.
  • Stinger88
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinger88 polycounter
    Yeah, I signed up. But it doesnt seem to offer a lot atm.

Great place for inspiration but getting your own art seen? Dunno how thats done unless you have to "wow" Feng himself. Only seems to be Uber awesome art that gets featured, which is cool n all, as they earned it. But the little guy doesnt seem to get any exposure.

I'd like to see a critique section where lesser artists like myself can get some good feedback from the pro's.
  • JerryAtricks
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JerryAtricks polycounter lvl 8
    It seems everyone is getting up-in-arms over something in their TOS. It reads:
    b. How Drawcrowd and others can use your content

You grant Drawcrowd and its users a non-exclusive, royalty-free, transferable, sublicensable, worldwide license to use, store, display, reproduce, modify, creative derivative works, perform, and distribute your Use Content solely for the purpose of operating, developing, providing, and using the Services.

This seems to be a generic statement that every online community and social networking site seems to have in their TOS. Otherwise, they'd leave themselves open to lawsuits and other legal issues.

However, that statement is essentially giving them, and "others", unlimited permission to do what they want with your artwork. Who are the "others?"

I've heard cases where artists have found their artwork printed on computer hardware boxes, advertisements, and other websites to name a few. I think the chances are relatively slim that something like that would happen, but still, it happens.

Just because the site is run by Feng, should everyone just jump headlong into it because it's another art community that has the "potential" of getting you discovered? Don't get me wrong, either. I love Feng's work. I follow his Youtube videos religiously. I'm just curious to read your feedback on this.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Yeah, that's not fair. They should offer compensation if they're going to use your art for say student recruitment purposes or ads.

So what if you did freelance work for Blizzard and posted your art on their site would that clause free them from using your image for their purposes and without compensation to you and Blizzard?
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    If you're worried about they tos clause better not post on reddit, facebook, cghub, 3dtotal, possibly even poly count. It's boilerplate legalese designed to protect drawcrowd and every other website. Means nothing.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    At least youtube pays you ad dollars.
  • Bigjohn
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It's just worded kinda weird to me. It says it's solely for the purpose of running the site. Meaning, that if they feature someone's artwork to promote the site, they don't want to get sued. It sounds reasonable. But it's written in weird lawyerish language which does make it sound like they can do whatever with it.
  • maximumsproductions
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The ToS is written essentially the same as many sharing sites like what ysalex said. Feng Zhu has noted and addressed this concern already and is rewording it as to not make it as intimidating.. But it's up to you I don't really know or am taking sides, just telling you what Feng's response has been.

Personally I find the site is the same concept as many sites already. The only thing that I find beneficial out of it is the viewers and community it will bring it out.

*Edit, also just on the whim of a thought to think about: Why would this guy who has decades of experience and reputation preceding him decide to screw himself in this manner.. Just seems a little silly of a way to go out when I think about it :P
  • Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg Westphal polycounter lvl 9
    Hey guys, FZD student here and I was just going to share a bit of what I know about it.

First its completely separate from the school. The first few days was a bunch of our grads posting stuff to there and making it to the featured list (which caused a stir) but that was because we're the ones that follow feng's stream the most. Now since its been a few days it has a huge global community and the school is getting buried.

Second it isn't about him. He isn't trying to keep his name out of this but its a place for people to post their shit, maybe make a portfolio, like stuff and get comments. Just hang around the guy for like 10 minutes and you'll find out he is the biggest fan of everyone elses work. I don't think we've gotten through a class yet where he hasn't talked about someone he looks up to and its a very common thing to watch him drool over Natividad's work in class.

Last, (for now?) I feel like he is doing this because he feels like other media sites are just too much work for him to update to and maintain. While his site doesn't have notifications and is a bit slow right now because they didn't expect this traffic and are upgrading servers, its not supposed to be a place to see who likes what and stuff. There will probably never be a forum just like you will never get to see the names of the people who like your stuff. Its just supposed to be chill (his favorite word) and easy.

Any other questions just ask and if I get 5 minutes away from school work again I'll try to reply.

EDITED: I realized immediately after typing this that I took on a personal note as if I know the guy. I'm just a student but this is from my perspective and the little bit he told us about opening the site. He may have bigger plans or intentions that I don't know of but from as far as we the students can tell its mostly just a place to go drool over people who are insanely good at their craft.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Any other questions just ask and if I get 5 minutes away from school work again I'll try to reply.

Did Ben M. leave?
  • Greg Westphal
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Greg Westphal polycounter lvl 9
    MagicSugar wrote: »
    Did Ben M. leave?

Good question. There is never office drama or rumors that circulate around even though a lot of the students gossip so I don't honestly don't know. I don't really involve myself with that stuff anyways because as it is I'm one of the worst in the class and just try and focus on work. From my experience though they treat the students incredibly professionally and anything that would be a distraction is avoided and school never misses a beat. My best guess? It was probably a mutual split because a conflict in ideas. It happened, classes went on.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    It was probably a mutual split because a conflict in ideas. It happened, classes went on.

Ahh...we'll leave at that then. Thanks :poly142: