Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

realistic knife

polycount sponsor
Offline / Send Message
Joost polycount sponsor
update04:
I think I'm going to call this done. Unless anyone has any more feedback?

zSlTvip.png
3qubphg.png
4Ki7tUA.png

update03:

BudwWYl.png
4dIkFoz.png
REm3gTG.png

update02:

finished baking

pYvahlz.png
z95MBD9.png

update: eAtyvKL.jpg

Started working on a knife earlier today.
Here's some progress on the high poly:

W93oFhq.png

LQmsPey.png

jSMxhhF.png

reference pics( feel free to use these, click on the images for full size):
hM9iN9Ml.jpg
GICVTOHl.jpg

Still a few little things to fix and add.
Could use some feedback. I'm planning on baking this but I think the edges might be a bit thin, can anyone chip in? Thanks!

Replies

• silvershrimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looks good to me but I'm not really a hardsurface kind of person.
    Looks like you've simplified the screws on the body from a star to an allen key shape. Don't think they are as flat, they look more pronounced. You've also made the star setting on the side and the thumb catch on the blade larger than they are and the serrated catch is sticking out more than it should. I think it's a trick of the photo that the belt hook is bent towards one side, on my knife the belt hook is straight. You've also missed the long hole in the belt hook. If it was me, I'd make it precise.
  • imperator_dk
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imperator_dk polycounter lvl 10
    Edge thickness depends on your texture resolution and the size of the asset in screenspace. A good rule of thumb is if the high poly aliases alot in a game-res viewport in your 3d package at its intended screenspace size, then it will probably alias a lot ingame too (remember to assign appropriate gloss and specular values to the object when evaluation this).
  • PixelsGenerated
    Don't know if you were following this tutorial while making this knife ?

If notyou might be interessed the see it :)

http://cgi.tutsplus.com/tutorials/next-gen-weapon-creation-part-1-the-high-poly-model--cg-782
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Looks good to me but I'm not really a hardsurface kind of person.
    Looks like you've simplified the screws on the body from a star to an allen key shape. Don't think they are as flat, they look more pronounced. You've also made the star setting on the side and the thumb catch on the blade larger than they are and the serrated catch is sticking out more than it should. I think it's a trick of the photo that the belt hook is bent towards one side, on my knife the belt hook is straight. You've also missed the long hole in the belt hook. If it was me, I'd make it precise.

Huge thanks for the feedback! :) The belt hook actually is bent, I have the knife right here. I'm trying to make it as realistic as possible so I'll remake the crews and fix the serrated edges. oh and I'm still going to add the hole but I'm having some trouble with that.

I'll post an update later this evening.
    Edge thickness depends on your texture resolution and the size of the asset in screenspace. A good rule of thumb is if the high poly aliases alot in a game-res viewport in your 3d package at its intended screenspace size, then it will probably alias a lot ingame too (remember to assign appropriate gloss and specular values to the object when evaluation this).

I'll probably use 2k maps for portfolio purposes.
    There's not too much aliasing atm so I think it will be fine. Thanks for the help!
    Don't know if you were following this tutorial while making this knife ?

If notyou might be interessed the see it :)

http://cgi.tutsplus.com/tutorials/next-gen-weapon-creation-part-1-the-high-poly-model--cg-782

I've seen that one a long time ago and it's a great tutorial. But I'm making this for my portfolio so I don't want to use any tutorials. Thanks though :)
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Well I think I'm almost done with the high poly.
    If anyone can spot any problems please let me know!

Here are some viewport grabs, I'll make some proper high poly renders when I finish this.

eAtyvKL.jpg

N9YHgtA.jpg

AliOqmM.jpg
    VvBoAbZ.jpg

I just noticed the belt clip is a bit too close to the edge but I'll fix that.
  • Fixer
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking sweet. Wish I had some info to give you but its looking good so far. Cant wait to see the final results.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Fixer wrote: »
    Looking sweet. Wish I had some info to give you but its looking good so far. Cant wait to see the final results.

Thanks! Making low polys is probably my weakest point. Could really use some feedback on this.
    I tried to preserve the curvature as much as possible since this is going to be a portfolio piece. It's at about 5.1k tris atm but I'll probably reduce that a bit more. There's probably some n-gons in there still, I haven't checked yet.

LnurZHQ.png

t07eWLL.png

Crits would be much appreciated!:thumbup: thanks
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    billymcguffin polycounter lvl 11
    You can definitely cut down on faces where the blade meets the handle. Most of the circular things could probably do with fewer polys.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    this better for the blade? wIWA5Oh.png?1

Not sure if I want to go much lower on the cylinders, I don't want them to be too blocky.

Thanks for the help.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Just finished baking it. Came out pretty well, there's a few errors if you look closely but nothing major I think. Still need to clean up the AO a bit though.

WTY6Lqs.png
    pYvahlz.png
    z95MBD9.png

I forgot my tablet at work so i'll probably take a break tomorrow and start texturing it on monday.
    Crits/comments always appreciated! :)
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    komaokc wrote: »
    Still need to fix this one, but is this too high poly for a little screw?
    You don't need the vert in the center if that hole is planar. There's no reason to cap cylinders with a vertex in the center. Instead just connect the boundary verts. I'm not sure how relevant this is today, but it is still worth a read.

You seem to have a lot of wasted verts on the flat surface of the handle, particularly around the holes for the screws.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Thanks for the tips! I'll try and clean it up a bit more tomorrow. The vertices around the holes were to avoid thin triangles, but I guess it might be better for performance to have less verts?
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    I'm not sure—that's probably something that would vary significantly per engine/project etc. If this is for a portfolio though I'd lean towards less wasted verts.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Bek wrote: »
    I'm not sure—that's probably something that would vary significantly per engine/project etc. If this is for a portfolio though I'd lean towards less wasted verts.

Alright, thanks for the help! Will post an update tomorrow.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Started blocking in the materials in marmoset. I've still got some weird normal map errors though, does anyone have any idea why? I've got smoothing group splits at uv splits and used xnormal+handplane to bake. Rendering in marmoset tb2.

It's pretty subtle, you might not even see it with proper textures applied. I want to know what's causing this though.

Q1ySp7i.png

weird shading:
    GDjj8cH.png
    0cDttO1.png

normal map:
    tIQ97fa.jpg

Help would be appreciated!
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    some texturing progress:

tcdjycn.png
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    More progress. still need to add dirt, a bit more edge wear and some gunk on the blade.

UecuDdj.png
    GTFy137.png
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey komaokc, looks good so far, though the scratches are a bit too uniform and strong. In the flat sections away from the corners there would probably be fewer scratches.

I have a similar knife, and the way the finish comes off is less like traditional scratches and more like it rubs off. you might want to try setting the scratches to dissolve blending mode due to the noisyness of the texture, but now that I think about it, that would probably look terrible so don't bother.

Do you plan to add a logo or something to the handle to add a bit of interest?

Another thing is that I think the glossiness should be upped across the board, and the DOF should be disabled for WIP shots so we can see the details more clearly.

Looks good so far.
  • Clark Coots
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Clark Coots polycounter lvl 12
    you mentioned earlier the belt clip is too close to the edge, doesn't look like it was re-positioned to match the reference yet. looking nice though
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Totally forgot about the belt clip, I'll fix that asap!

Thanks for all the feedback, billy!

I'm basing the edgewear on the actual knife which I have here, but I'll do another pass to match it more.
    I could add a logo to the side without the belt clip, but the UVs are mirrored so I'd have to either redo the unwrapping+baking+texturing or use a separate texture map for it. I could just add the tribal logo, but that might be a bit clich
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neato. The only reason I asked about the logo is that as it is now it's not particularly interesting or eye catching. It's just a grey knife.

After looking at your references more closely, I admit that my advice about the scratches was off base. However, it looks to me from the reference that the "rim" edge part of the handle is a smooth metal with black paint, while the sides are some sort of grip tape kind of a thing, whereas your render looks more like the whole thing is metal with a roughish finish.

You never showed the other side of your model; does it have that cool ribbed texture that your reference has? Because that's definitely the most interesting part of the knife to me.

And you do plan on adding dirt and grime right? That'll definitely help as well.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Neato. The only reason I asked about the logo is that as it is now it's not particularly interesting or eye catching. It's just a grey knife.

After looking at your references more closely, I admit that my advice about the scratches was off base. However, it looks to me from the reference that the "rim" edge part of the handle is a smooth metal with black paint, while the sides are some sort of grip tape kind of a thing, whereas your render looks more like the whole thing is metal with a roughish finish.

You never showed the other side of your model; does it have that cool ribbed texture that your reference has? Because that's definitely the most interesting part of the knife to me.

And you do plan on adding dirt and grime right? That'll definitely help as well.

Yup you're right, this is still a wip. Still need to add a lot.

The handle is all the same material, it's just the lighting that makes it look like different materials. One side of the handle has a ribbed texture and a logo but the other side is just a rough material. I'm not sure if I should stick to my reference 100% or make both sides ribbed to make it more interesting.

I appreciate all your advice, thanks!
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Getting there.

BudwWYl.png
    4dIkFoz.png
    REm3gTG.png

Still need to work on the handle a bit. I tried to add grooves but due to the texture resolution I kept getting a moir
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Looking very cool.

I would suggest lowering the gloss/reflectance on the dirt/blood/rust on the blade. Right now it doesn't read as a different material from the metal to me.

Also I think it would help if you added some more grime around where the clip meets the handle.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Thanks! I agree, the dirt/grime looks a bit weird. I'll have to tweak the material a bit. And that's a good suggestion. Will have another update tomorrow :)
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Update:

Think I'm getting close to finishing this now. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know!
    P6sOKvG.png
    t87MBXr.png
    wtOJPsy.png
  • billymcguffin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey, those oily smudges on the handle look great, they definitely help to break up the monotonous grey.

I'd say maybe try increasing the gloss/spec intensity on those edge scratches as right now they're not catching the highlights I would expect.
  • enoki
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    enoki polycounter lvl 4
    This is coming along very nicely. With how realistic and micro-detailed you're going with this, for me texture work for the metal of the blade doesn't feel quite right just yet when I examine the full size image.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Hey, those oily smudges on the handle look great, they definitely help to break up the monotonous grey.

I'd say maybe try increasing the gloss/spec intensity on those edge scratches as right now they're not catching the highlights I would expect.

Thanks, you're right about the edge wear, I'll tweak the material a bit.
    enoki wrote: »
    This is coming along very nicely. With how realistic and micro-detailed you're going with this, for me texture work for the metal of the blade doesn't feel quite right just yet when I examine the full size image.

Thank you!
    I agree about the blade. There's too much detail atm. It's supposed to be a smooth titanium with some faint polish lines and really faint smudges.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    I think I'm going to call this done. Unless anyone has any more feedback?

zSlTvip.png
    3qubphg.png
    4Ki7tUA.png
  • silvershrimp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Came out really nice.
  • Joost
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joost polycount sponsor
    Came out really nice.