Home Career & Education

Do Black Game Developers Exist?

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
redhonour polycounter lvl 8
Seems a fair question, since it's February. :)

Ok, I know they exist, but I don't know any personally. I mean, I'm black too but I'm still not hired at a studio yet. (contact me if you like my portfolio ;])

So here's a story: my nephew is getting into art and computers cos I am. That means a heck of a lot to me, cos I didn't have anyone in my family or immediate area to inspire me to do that stuff. Suddenly, I'm a role model. Funny how that happens.

Anyways, I've been asking peeps and colleagues if they know any other black guys or girls making games (since I'm technically still aspiring). Artists, programmers, producers etc I'd love to know of any of em!

Replies

• Jason Young
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jason Young polycounter lvl 14
  • MeshModeler
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xYxt7cwDk4E&feature=share"]Cyberpunk 2077 - Mike Pondsmith about Cyberpunk World - YouTube[/ame]
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Justin Meisse polycounter lvl 18
    T-Ray, the senior art director on Planetside 2:
    [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70phV-HcjEY"]Planetside 2 - Interview w/Tramell Isaac "T-Ray" - YouTube[/ame]

The game industry still needs more diversity!
  • Swizzle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Swizzle polycounter lvl 15
    Plenty of black people in games. Four (if I'm not forgetting anyone) of my former coworkers are black. That same team also had Korean, Chinese, Indian, Philipino, British, Eastern European, and boring white American people.

The game industry is pretty diverse.
  • Joopson
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joopson quad damage
    I went to a small company in Santa Monica for an interview, and I was surprised by the diversity. Of course, there can always be more diversity, but it was quite nice to see. I had the feeling it was going to be all white guys.

I feel awkward naming specifics, but here I go: there was at least 6 women (out of, maybe 20 people), a black guy, a fairly traditionally dressed afghan woman, and a handful of Japanese and Korean men.
    And of course, a bunch of white people.
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Awesome stuff! Thanks for the vids especially

Didn't know any of these guys

I know it may seem like an "of course!" kind of question, but believe me when I say Google searches I've done for black developers are pretty slim pickings.
  • CrazyMatt
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    There's Chris Wells @ Epic Games
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    While it sounds diverse, it's still mostly white men, I don't think we're even close to reflecting the reality of the US population.

A 2005 IGDA survey showed 85% White, 2% Black, 2.5% Hispanic, 7.5% Asian, 4.7% Other.
  • Jesse Moody
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jesse Moody polycounter lvl 17
    We have quite a bit of diversity on our environment team here and I have worked at several places that were pretty similiar.
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    2005, those numbers changed greatly and might have lost some races there kudos in 2014 the Almost racism is still alive and well... i don't see the difference everyone is still an =---
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    [Deleted User] insane polycounter
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I just... what?

Um yeah, I don't know????

Lets keep this thread positive, it's about inspiring a new generation
  • MeshModeler
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MeshModeler polycounter lvl 11
    T-Ray, the senior art director on Planetside 2:
    Planetside 2 - Interview w/Tramell Isaac "T-Ray" - YouTube

The game industry still needs more diversity!

my old boss! :)
  • JordanN
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JordanN interpolator
    I'm black and I'm prepping myself to be a great environment artist.

I've also sat next to plenty of black students who were in the same game development program as me.
  • slipsius
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slipsius mod
    Im gonna go out on a limb and say the reason the google results are slim pickings is because it's poor taste to call write that you are a black game dev on your website. And that goes for any and all races. The only thing that should matter is your portfolio. I think if you go around calling yourself a black game dev, rather than just a game dev, it might work against you in some regards. Studios might see it and think you`re gonna play the race card all the time.

Also, yes, there are laws in many places that say employers can't not hire you because of your race, but the sad fact is there still is racism alive and kicking. It's best to keep all that sort of stuff off your resume / website to at least avoid racist pre-screening before even getting an interview. Not saying it happens all the time, or everywhere. but for the odd time it does happen....

With all that said... Yes, there are devs of all races in the industry.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I think there are only 8 allowed to work in the game industry at any one time.

I'm lucky that I snagged up 1 of the 3 slots made available for Mexicans.
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    slipsius wrote: »
    Im gonna go out on a limb and say the reason the google results are slim pickings is because it's poor taste to call write that you are a black game dev on your website. And that goes for any and all races. The only thing that should matter is your portfolio. I think if you go around calling yourself a black game dev, rather than just a game dev, it might work against you in some regards. Studios might see it and think you`re gonna play the race card all the time.

Agree with all of this ^

for the record; I happen to be black.
  • HyPer128
  • Autocon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Autocon polycounter lvl 15
    At least 1/3rd of Naughty Dog I would say is from a different country or don't fit into the "white american dude" model. IE women and other ethnicity's.

I think one of the biggest reason you are not finding many "black artists" in your Google video game searches is because they consider themselves to just be artists. And dont feel the need to quantity themselves as a "black artist"
  • Loraine Howard iii
    I'm black, we do exist man! Keep trying, it might take you longer than some but always be ready when the opportunity arises!
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MagicSugar polycounter lvl 10
    Epic Sr. Concept Artist J.P. Targete

http://www.cgchannel.com/2013/12/interview-epic-games-concept-artist-j-p-targete/

headshot.jpg

Ted Davis, texture painter
    He has done work for major visual effects houses, video game studios, broadcast campaigns and freelance clientele. Projects include God of War II, Spyro the Dragon, Silent Hill Experience, Ratchet and Clank, Tools of Destruction, Speed Racer and Thunder Cats.

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/427/Hard-Surface-Texture-Painting

headshot.jpg

Ryan Benjamin [His hardbound sketchbooks are pretty awesome!]

ryan-benjamin.jpg

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/ryan-benjamin/6/a7b/3ba

http://www.ryanbenjamin.com/
    url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&docid=XieogpZRTfEsBM&tbnid=2MCA7u2twjx2vM:&ved=0CAUQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.cgsociety.org%2Findex.php%2FCGSFeatures%2FCGSFeatureSpecial%2Fj.p._targete&ei=EfQHU-G2LYiSyAH1mYCYCg&bvm=bv.61725948,d.aWc&psig=AFQjCNE2Hx9Cmkl9qGCANf2G9w9M859dDA&ust=1393116559143800
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Not technically in gamedev but Dave Cardwell's a co-founder/developer of the original Mudbox.

9k=
    502-17NR5.AuSt.55.jpeg
    9k=
  • Isaiah Sherman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Isaiah Sherman polycounter lvl 14
  • GarageBay9
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    GarageBay9 polycounter lvl 13
    I can think of at least three off the top of my head at Turn10. All very cool dudes.
  • Joe March
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe March polycounter lvl 11
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Mat Broome is black, I got to have some one-on-one training with him a week ago on hard-surface modeling. Awesome guy!

dustinbrown, that video you posted is actually Mat.

http://matbroome.com/
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • JohnnyRaptor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JohnnyRaptor polycounter lvl 15
    i work with one now and have been at every studio i have worked at. No one famous so no point name dropping.
  • Mask_Salesman
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Mask_Salesman polycounter lvl 13
    I thought this thread was going to be about black market game developers who make those knockoff pokemon games etc :D
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    i fucking hate this, this entire thread, i hate the idea of diversity and i hate the phrase "we need to be more diverse".

why does it even need to be said? why aren't we just hiring skilled people? why does it even matter where a person is from as long as they're good at what's needed of them?

why do we even need to highlight the fact that a particular studio might be "highly diverse" in the "type" of people it employs? whenever someone highlights a place as being diverse, or another place as needing more diversity, they're actually categorizing people. it means that someone has sat there and said "we have enough people of x skin colour, but we need more people of y skin colour in order to appear a particular way to outsiders". so fuck that. in it's own way, that's still fucking racist.

fuck this subject, seriously.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Joe March
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Joe March polycounter lvl 11
    i fucking hate this, this entire thread, i hate the idea of diversity and i hate the phrase "we need to be more diverse".

why does it even need to be said? why aren't we just hiring skilled people? why does it even matter where a person is from as long as they're good at what's needed of them?

why do we even need to highlight the fact that a particular studio might be "highly diverse" in the "type" of people it employs? whenever someone highlights a place as being diverse, or another place as needing more diversity, they're actually categorizing people. it means that someone has sat there and said "we have enough people of x skin colour, but we need more people of y skin colour in order to appear a particular way to outsiders". so fuck that. in it's own way, that's still fucking racist.

fuck this subject, seriously.

Seems like you have an opinion Gir. Tell us more.
  • Kave
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kave triangle
    I can't believe this thread exists
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Joe March wrote: »
    Seems like you have an opinion Gir. Tell us more.

I love you Joe, and i love you too, Wagglepants. <3
  • imyj
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    imyj polycounter lvl 8
    I think the thing to take away from this thread is that the games industry is open to anybody and I know that through friends and colleagues.

If somebody is inspired to join the industry based on the achievements of another person then I think it's a hugely positive thing. I believe that what almighty_gir is saying is that the specifics should not come into play.
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message

I had this discussion with someone else, most of us white folks have no clue what it's like growing up as a minority. It's easy to ask "why do we even need examples of black developers, just do the best work" when every behind the scenes video or interview shows people who look like us. We are a product of our society, anyone who says "I don't see color" without having done some serious introspection is naive and probably more affected by societal preconceptions about race then they realize.
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Forget game development, just start your geek Youtube channel.

Checkout this guy's channel stats, he's killing it revenue wise.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnRx21Bc6v4&quot;]RACIST TECHNOLOGY - YouTube[/ame]
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    I don't think it's the industry's fault at all, it's just that a majority of candidates out there are simply variations of white and mostly male, that and a large amount of studio's are in countries which have a higher white population (in most cases).

My uni class for example had 30 students, all white and of only 6 were female (2 of those females also dropped out and 1 moved onto another course). It's also not as if my uni was a large majority white either it is extremely diverse.

Either way, it's a very sad day when people get hired over someone else due to their race and/or gender. Skill, quality of work and in most cases personality is what people should be hiring for.
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Gir: I'm not grinding any axe here dude. Just trying to do my part for my fam.

Feel free to critique a thread of mine since you don't hold back /shameless cross-post

All I gotta say is thanks for keeping it positive!

A lot of other dialogues floating around about this stuff isn't nearly as. The little dude is gonna be mind blown for sure

And keep it coming!
  • Del
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Del polycounter lvl 9
    This thread is making me feel really weird...
  • Justin Meisse
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    redhonour wrote: »
    The little dude is gonna be mind blown for sure

screw everything else, this is what it's about, right here
  • MagicSugar
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    The little dude is gonna be mind blown for sure

And keep it coming!

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGN57jpmJ7s&quot;]50 Cent Interview Blood on the Sand w/ Game Play Footage - YouTube[/ame]
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Optinium wrote: »
    Either way, it's a very sad day when people get hired over someone else due to their race and/or gender. Skill, quality of work and in most cases personality is what people should be hiring for.
    btw im human.

O/T:
    It is sad and i think the personality thing should be dropped, like every other job it is about the skill and quality of the work and that is how it should be no adding or subtracting away like this industry does.
    I feel like it has to be, if your not like me and the rest of us, i won't like you and your not going to get hired..type of vibe, that is how i've felt from the past interview i had, i'm me you don't like it too bad, at the end of the day it is about the work not my personality and i am a decent person but i rather joke around on here cause people make you out to be what they want you to be in the end anyway - (Category-enter him here,done).

On/Topic:
    That is amazing man, i don't see any other way to slice this thread than the way you did it, just be blunt with it and people will react how they react. What i was saying earlier is i am not racist and this black and nationality name calling is offensive as already apparently shown but some of the responses.
    Again should be about the work and the skill... personality should just be extra icing on the cake, i don't like people for my own reasons but i still critic there stuff if they asked for it even though they ignore my stuff, recently for Comicon btw, i don't let what i see interfere with that, idc what race he is, it was about the art...and that is all that matters to me if your cool bonus for me if your awkward i know how to act with you..and not make you feel alienated like everyone else does cause they want to put you in that category of we should stay away from him... bs. I feel like anyone who does that is a pansy-my opinion.

Grr, anyway best of luck with your nephew that relationship is going to be amazing maybe i will have one myself in a few years. :) Guide him well and give him all them shortcuts cause I am sure if we had that growing up we would all be kick ass..
  • StephenVyas
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    StephenVyas polycounter lvl 18
    As his current role model, it's important that you make him aware that people with any skin colour can make it into game development. But I'd strongly warn you not to make it a strong focus of your argument or motivation for him.

Game Art contains people from all walks of life... Internationally, there are soo many damn artists that I look up to, admire, and try to learn from that don't look anything like me. Maybe this is part of a social stigma in Arizona...? But, as a current role model to him.. opening his eyes up to other developers who are amazing at what they do will allow him to connect and learn from a larger audience and expand his perspective.

Personality plays a much greater role with getting into the industry, and if the artist only connects with a certain demographic then he risks alienating the rest of the team. Employers will catch onto this quickly,with regards to whether someone fits in with the whole team or not.

I think we've answered the question whether black game developers exist, but I gotta say... This thread is running the risk of being far too superficial.
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    D4V1DC I should have maybe elaborated on the 'personality' comment.
    I think as an employer you have a duty to not only get the most qualified person for the role but also try and maintain a good working environment. Most people's personalities I'm sure would fit the bill.

Different studios/teams have different types of working environment which unfortunately everyone doesn't fit in, I'm not talking about social traits more about interests I guess. For example I wouldn't expect TT games to hire someone who isn't passionate about LEGO over someone equally as skilled/qualified who is passionate about it.
  • ZacD
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZacD ngon master
    Also having a diverse staff is kinda important when making a game for a diverse audience. Right now a lot of games are considered white male power fantasies because games are mostly made by white males. It's kinda a loop, most games don't appeal to women and other monitorities, they don't get into making games because of that.
  • redhonour
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Game Art contains people from all walks of life... Internationally, there are soo many damn artists that I look up to, admire, and try to learn from that don't look anything like me.

@Stephen: Who said it was about exclusion? :]

We already know of a plethora of great artists from many walks of life. Well, I do. The kid's a kid. And he wants to see if any of those cool artists look like him

Personally, I'm inspired by all of you on Polycount and I have no idea what most of you are irl

You could all be unicorns for all I know
  • Optinium
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Optinium polycounter
    @Stephen: Who said it was about exclusion? :]

We already know of a plethora of great artists from many walks of life. Well, I do. The kid's a kid. And he wants to see if any of those cool artists look like him

Personally, I'm inspired by all of you on Polycount and I have no idea what most of you are irl

You could all be unicorns for all I know

On_internet_nobody_knows_you_re_a_dog_Nobody_Img01.jpg

Sorry I had to :3
  • jam-i-am
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm an artist who happens to be a black guy, working as character artist at Naughty dog. So yes, we are out there however, I echo the responds of many others. It should be about skills and not skin color.

I make a personal effort to not make my profile pics on any social network of my actual face, i want people to see my artwork first.

Although I will say of all the studio's I've worked,'I've only been 1 of 3-4 black person at that studio. Only 2 studios so cant really speak on the rest.