Home General Discussion

Cintiq vs Yiynova - Revisited.

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Baj Singh polycounter lvl 9
Evening all,

I've recently decided to get a monitor digitizer and am having a little trouble trying to decide whether to spend £1500 on a Cintiq or go with the cheaper 21 inch Yiynova.

I know a few people on here purchased a Yiynova a while back but I wanted to see how these are holding up and see whether your still happy with your purchase. I know there are a few threads already on this but a lot of them were started when these things were coming out so I wanted to see whether people had problems with them down the line.

I mainly want it for sketching/drawing purposes (but will also be using it for sculpting/modelling too) so any thoughts on this would be great.

Cheers :).

Replies

• pior
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    pior grand marshal polycounter
    One thing I have learned about the offerings from this brand is that you need to look for the more recent "U" models (for instance, MSP19U or MSP19U+ instead of MSP19, in the case of their 19 incher).

This is because of the digitizer panel being of a different brand after the "U" revision. Accuracy is said to be much better on these newer "U" models, and some early online reviews might be too old to reflect that change.

I haven't used them, but I am very curious about them too.
  • OrganizedChaos
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    OrganizedChaos polycounter lvl 17
    I've used both, cintiq and yiynova, but started out with yiynova and I still think it's pretty competitive for the price. I had the yiynova mps19u, pior is right about making sure you don't get them confused. Never had any problems with jitter, no issues with the screen getting hot, the pressure sensitivity seemed to work great, but I found you have to press harder than you do with a wacom, so I used lazynezumi to fix the problem with their pressure adjuster. Only huge complaint I've seen repeatedly is the screen is slick, and I think the screen thickness bothers some people. The msp19u uses a vga cable, so that's something to keep in mind.

I don't know, different strokes for different folks, but I've found mine to be worth it in the timeframe I've owned one.
  • low odor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    low odor polycounter lvl 17
    I've had a MSP19U since August and have had zero problems with it

The only thing that bugs me is my Stylus sometimes take a minute to wake up..but it could be I just need to swap out the battery..still has the OG one it came with. Also the Stylus is really light in comparison to Cintiq'a

I'll have to try out lazynezumi
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheers everyone, should have checked this thread earlier as I ended up dropping the cash on a Cintiq 22HD (The price difference in the UK is about £600 but hopefully it will pay for itself over the years :)).
  • Thermidor
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thermidor polycounter lvl 18
    Im sure i read somwhere that Yiynova were going to update the MSP19U stylus to be battery free late last year, anyone know if this was ever followed up?
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Take a look at this Baj

http://bosto-tablet.com/models/22hd/

**edit** oh, I see you bought the cintiq already.
  • Baj Singh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Jesse, I ended up checking some of the reviews for the Bosco and came across this one.

http://frenden.com/post/67995181942/bosto-kingtee-22hd-review

I went with the Cintiq at the end of the day as I could get it from a UK distributer (The Yiynovas, Bosco and Monoprice all come from abroad so it would 'hopefully' be easier to deal with if any issues occur).

Cheers mate.
  • skankerzero
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    yeah, I read a couple of those reviews before I ordered it because there are a lot of positive ones as well.

The fix for that seems to be using an HDMI cable and making it your primary monitor.