Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

The Polypaint Thread!

polycounter
Offline / Send Message
Makkon polycounter
I thought this would be a fun thing to do with the community.

Share a highpoly model that would be fun to polypaint! You must be the creator of the model to share it here. Characters, props, or enviroment pieces work! You'll find that experimental polypainting can be relaxing and therapeutic, as well as an essential way to improve your polypainting texturing skills.
Share your model and I'll add it to the list.

-Avoid photo-textures if you can (they don't help you learn so much), but they are allowed.

-Custom alphas are AWESOME, and encouraged.

-You may alter the surface detail of the character to aid in your polypainting, and to mix things up.

-You may NOT redistribute the models in this thread, unless otherwise stated by the original artist.

-All models posted are for educational purposes only, you may not reuse any assets in this thread for commercial purposes. That being said, be sure that the model you share is one that you can and are willing to share with the community.

-ztools are prefered, you may also share .obj or .mud

Here's my first contribution, I put together a quick character with the aid of the BADKING monster brushes.
I used Zbro's custom matcaps for painting and presentation.

Makkon: Vamplady
license: Uses BADKING brushes, you may redistribute and modify however you want. Ask permission for use in projects.
download 237mb ztool: vamplady.zip
vamplady_small.png

Polygoblin: AK47
license: You may redistribute however you want. Ask permission for use in projects.
download 61mb obj: AK47.obj
AK47_HPthumb.png

Let's get polypainting!

Replies

• Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Awesome idea for a thread! Something to keep an eye on for sure. Think I may have a model to contribute.
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    That'd be awesome, man! The more participation the more fun for everyone.
  • Dave Jr
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dave Jr polycounter lvl 9
    Wow, awesome idea; which custom matcaps did you use for painting? Zbro has quite a few!
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I wish I could polypaint that well - I always go for texturing in mud rather than ZB. Do you get any lag when painting the sculpt? I loaded it into my ZB and it chugged like crazy :-S
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Every collection needs one, so here's my free-to-use AK47.

Polygoblin: AK47
    license: You may redistribute however you want. Ask permission for use in projects.
    download 61mb obj: AK47.obj

AK47_HPthumb.png
  • Frawmus
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nothing to contribute yet ( well too emberassed to) but I just thought I'd mention doing a paint over on the vamp ladies breast/genitals. It looks nice as skin but it would awesone as the same scaley texture as the top of the head. Wish I had time to do a quick paint over, on my phone :)
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    Thanks Polygoblin! I added yours to the list! (I feel like mine is overshadowing yours because my image is huge, I'm going to resize mine...)
    People should be able to use autogroup the polygroups for your AK to separate the meshes for polypainting.

Dave Jr: yeah, he has a lot of really good ones. I used one of his Viewport Skin matcaps. I don't recall the exact one, though, they all look really good.

Torch: Dang, you're getting lag? Sorry man. In zbrush I get a tiny bit because it's 8mil polies, but it's manageable. Would it run better in mudbox? I can give you an obj if you need it.

Frawmus: A paintover would be cool! In the rules I mentioned you can modify the surface detail of the sculpt to help with your polypainting, so you'd be able to do some wicked sculpting/polypainting mods to it too. I included my polypaint with the ztool if you want to give it a try when you get home! :)
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    Gj Makkon,

I might play with it, but in all honesty if we end up liking what we create we really can't do anything with the model since it is yours. Just saying we usually (now-a-days) don't like to waste time like that even if it is practice.

Sure new comers can learn on their own with this and they have the time for this but not the regulars i don't think.

If i find time to spit out something quick i'll try, perhaps that is why this is not so active, i guess once the modeling competitions die down they will move onto this section, idk a lot going on really.
  • Polygoblin
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Polygoblin polycounter
    Practice is NEVER a waste of time. It may not be art that you can put on your portfolio, but having an attractive finished hp model to practice polypainting on is a great benefit. Since texturing is at the end of asset creation, it's helpful to be able to focus just on texturing once in a while. Furthermore, suggesting the asset Makkon generously provided free-to-use is a waste of time is a selfish, shortsighted, and just an unkind thing to say.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    I don't think he was saying the asset he provided is a waste of time, it was more that no matter how well he paints the asset or time he dedicates to it, he can't use it in his portfolio since its essentially the work of another artist.

Makkon thanks for doing this mate, do you happen to have the same Ztool with lower subdivs? Although my comp is ok-ish (8 gigs ram, quad core) it still chugs pretty badly for me, not super laggy but slow enough to make it unable to work on :( Tried tweaking my Zbrush mem settings as well and gave slight improvement, it would be nice to not have any lag with my ZB one day as PPing textures is my favorite method :)
  • D4V1DC
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    D4V1DC polycounter lvl 18
    ^ He's right but it's cool to come to the defense of others you don't see that very much so it's all good polygoblin, no harm, no foul.

I agree with you just texturing is actually something i love to do more of now-a-days just that pendulum decision making of, what do i need to spend my time, over what i want to spend my time on type of situation.
  • VanLogan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VanLogan polycounter lvl 6
    Started playing around with painting the face. tetl1ec.jpg
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    This seems like a lot of fun! I just need spare time to work on this #_#
  • Makkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Makkon polycounter
    D4V1DC: I understand man, and I don't see any harm or trouble in people using this project in their portfolio. Afterall, I did construct a lot of the character from Badking brushes.

Torch: Whoops, sorry man. I dynameshed the whole thing several times and lost all my lower subdivs. But let me see if I can reconstruct one with a few levels by reprojecting from a zremeshed copy. I'll be able to do that tomorrow, hopefully.

VanLogan: That's looking sick, man! I'm especially loving that layered skin you made on the neck and chest, that's a look I never considered trying. I love it!