Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Gun texturing, critiques please !

polycounter lvl 9
Offline / Send Message
Nam.Nguyen polycounter lvl 9
hi everyone !

I'm learning to texture hardsurface stuff, and here is some screenshots, from what I've been working on

cz32mwQ.png

hVBSz19.png

z1wRctX.png

I wanna achive result like the images below. I know I'm missing something, just don't know what it is, so could anyone please point it out for me

bizon_pp_19_by_jimficker-d6l6onw.jpg

(Bizon PP-19 by jimficker : DA link : http://fav.me/d6l6onw )

Replies

• dreamer00
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To be honest you done a good job aswell.. i think the below image used more darker base color than yours i guess i'm no expert but job well done .. :)and i would love to know how u textured your gun and please show your texture flats..
  • AtticusMars
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AtticusMars greentooth
    The biggest issue with your texture is that your edge wear is applied uniformly across pretty much every edge of the model. This might seem like a good idea at the time but it doesn't look natural and just washes out the bevels in your normal map.

But that's not your main problem... You mainly have a presentation problem.

Levels adjustment / Hue adjustment / Unsharp mask
    (This is photoshop, and a 256 color gif, post effects will look a little different in marmoset)
    Nam.Nguyen-2014-02-15-00.gif

You also made a poor choice with the background color, something lighter would have pushed the gun off the backdrop but because your image has so little contrast the edges sink right into the background. This can work okay for characters but I've never seen it look good for static objects.

Also don't post huge 1080p closeups if your maps don't have the detail to support it.

The artist who did the gun on the bottom also may have sharpened the texture maps themselves, hard to tell without seeing the textures but it looks really crispy.
  • Squals
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Squals polycounter lvl 5
    Good job, over all really nice. You're worn painted areas are a little too clean though, the corner areas which you're showing metal from chipped paint are to smooth to be realistic. That's all I've noticed, keep it up!

Pascal
  • Nam.Nguyen
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nam.Nguyen polycounter lvl 9
    Thanks for the comments !

I Cleaned up my texture a bit, play around with sharpen, and here is final result

I think I'm Close :)

eIj0DXV.jpg

1st view no light setup

AcSlggb.jpg

and here is maps for whom asked

xQtXftv.jpg
  • dazzerfong
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    To me, the gun looks worn but not dirty. Add some more grunge and make everything pop!
  • BARDLER
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    BARDLER polycounter lvl 12
    You shouldn't be putting that edge or scratch detail in the diffuse or spec map. Assuming you are using the PBR workflow you want to put the scratch and material detail in the gloss map. Marmoset just posted a bunch of awesome stuff about PBR workflow, you should check it out.