Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Emma Frost

polycounter lvl 8
Offline / Send Message
Texelion polycounter lvl 8
I changed my mind for the comicon challenge, and after reading the new 18 Emma Frost issues ( really liked them, but it was too short ^^ ) about her youth, I decided to go with her. But I'm going to do an "old" Emma, like 40 or 50 years old, with a face based on Michelle Pfeiffer.

Here are some quick concepts for the outfit. Don't know what to choose as usual, and I have a lot of other refs and ideas... I just hope it won't finish like Aspen...

EmmaConcept.jpg

EmmaConcept02.jpg

EmmaConcept03.jpg

And a ref for the face :

michelle-pfeiffer-premiere-hairspray-lo-hairspray-136845799.jpg

Replies

• PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Starting over again ? Damn, I wish I had your fuel...
    ANyway, so far I like the #3 the most. But I would love to see more complex shape and silhouette going on. I know it's weird. But most comic characters are too simple to the eyes. Except for cloaks, almost all of their silhouettes look like naked body.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I guess they do this to avoid spending to much time drawing them...

I'm not really good at inventing stuff, I could spend weeks trying to draw a more complex character, but I won't finish in time... I chose Emma because she has a simple silhouette, but the corset could have some nice details ( I won't draw that, it would take to much time ).

I did another concept... but for me they are all the same :

EmmaConcept04.jpg
  • neilberard
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    neilberard polycounter lvl 17
    I like your last concept the most. Seems more elegant in it's simplicity as opposed to the straps and buckles in a corset.
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    Seems like a good opportunity to redesign the costume so its a little less eye-rollingly pandering and silly.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I agree with jackablade, she is literally wearing lingerie. I had to look her up to see, I don't know who she is I've never been a comic reader(and reasons like this apparently are why I guess), but it's clear you're being true to the original, which for a contest like this I suppose I get. However seems like it would be a good opportunity to take to get her out of that immature design, especially if you're age progressing her.

Just my opinion, doesn't really mean much, I was just sorta surprised by the design (no fault of yours). Also pretty surprised that they design characters like this for kids, seems pretty inappropriate.
  • Popol
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Popol interpolator
    I agree with Jackablade. I never took this hero seriously because of her over the top slutty costume. So it would be a great a opportunity to redesign her so that she's still sexy but not so slutty.
  • Stinkfoot
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stinkfoot polycounter lvl 11
    It is classic frost tho, so for authenticity sake I say go for it, but if you agree with the above, might I suggest the "pants" costume variation? good clothes/skin ratio :)

Emma_Frost_in_current_costume.jpg
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I'm not really a Marvel expert but from what I've read, Emma Frost was a "villain" ( or at least a bad mutant like Magneto who hates humans ) first before joining the X-men. This is inspiried from her villain costume, her X-men costume has pants.

_1-1350053215.jpg

But yes it's like she's wearing underwear, strange design indeed, I guess it matches her personnality...

Ysalex, I don't think comic books are for kids, not X-men at least. Look at Mystique, she's blue and "naked".

Anyway, I'm going to try a more "sci-fi" costume... maybe less slutty, we'll see...
  • Steve Schulze
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Steve Schulze polycounter lvl 18
    I dunno. I get that seducing other characters is part of her shtick, but I reckon you could do something more practical with the design at least, particularly if you're rolling with a middle aged version of the character.

That's actually quite an interesting thing to explore - what does this very sexual character do when she gets a bit older and isn't quite as pert as she once was.

For what it's worth, Mystique's comic design is usually clothed in a white body suit loincloth thing. The body paint design is more of a movie invention.
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Now that you mention it... she's only naked in the movies ( I've never read a comic book with Mystique in it ^^ )... that's weird, I wonder why they didn't use clothes. I mean, for movies they generally tend to avoid too much sexiness, here it's the opposite.

I totally agree with you about thinking how she would change, beeing older. It's just that there are so many possibilities, I'll get stuck not knowing what to do again exactly like I did with Aspen... I guess I should just give up creating things, especially for time limited challenges...

Or it could be funny to do a sexy cougar, as she obviously seek for attention, I bet being older will only increase that. I guess this kind of woman would use a lot of surgery to stay sexy, and use clothes not adapted to her age ^^.

Oh well, let's see what I can do with a "sci-fi" costume first. But I need to find something quickly...
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Emma Frost used to be Stripper, I think. I remember Haz used to discuss it when it when he made her in one of the Comicon or something.

I'm all for cool female character that isn't slutty though. But then again, who am I to say, with my Raven New 52 form for Comicon myself...
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I feel like most comics heroines are slutty ^^. Even the old ones like Wonder Woman; I don't know, in the comics it looks "normal", like male heroes wearing tight suits and underwear over it... Men are muscular and strong, women are sexy, and obviously most comic books artists don't do the difference between sexy and slutty.
  • tayuya64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I really don't see a problem in Emma's outfit. I wouldn't classify it as "slutty" either, when they're are far worse out there i just hope you don't change the outfit too much and to a point where the character is unrecognizable..
  • Texelion
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tayuya, you don't think it's slutty to wear panties in public ? ^^ Ok it's not Lady Death, but still...

Here is another one, and a variant with pants... but I don't really like pants, at least not with a corset, I should do a shorter top...

EmmaConcept05.jpg

EmmaConcept06.jpg
  • tayuya64
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    haha if that's the case then all heroines and female villains would be deemed slutty xD
  • stevston89
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Personally I am not of fan of the slap some panties on it design style in general. I think pants and corset can work just fine here a couple of concepts that did it well.

Emma+Frost+redesign.jpg

Emma_Frost_by_olivernome.jpg
  • D4V1DC
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Or.... *drums rolling* she can wear underwear over her tight pants. O o'