Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Tuscan Doorway (UDK)

Equanim
polycounter lvl 11
Offline / Send Message
Equanim polycounter lvl 11
Final Version:
TD_glam_hiRes.jpg

A personal project I want to start texturing this week. All input is extremely welcome. :)

210_1.jpg

210_2.jpg

and some of my refs...

refs.jpg

Again, I'm open to any input you guys have. The textures that are on there now are just straight AO and normals. The wall will have stucco patches for example. I tend to texture plants as I model them because it makes them easier to place, and wound up throwing some base color on for the hell of it.

It's not a particularly modular piece, but I'd like to do as much as I can in Substance (to one degree or another) as a learning experience.
210_1.jpg

Replies

• locater16
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    locater16 polycounter lvl 8
    It's a nice blockout, looking forward to the finished thing.
  • leleuxart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    leleuxart polycounter lvl 10
    Looks like a nice start. Any idea for the lighting?

UDK's SSAO is horrible by default, I'd tweak the parameters for that, at least for final renders.

Looking forward to the texturing though!:thumbup:
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys!

UPDATE:
    Coming along pretty well. Still need to polish some of the textures and tweak the lighting/post processing. Most of the textures are generated within substance, using normals, AO, and sometimes hand painted masks as resource material. I'm absolutely loving the workflow! Suggestions welcome.

TD_22014.jpg

@Leleuxart: This is a bit closer to what I had envisioned for the lighting. I may put a tree or something off camera to cast some shadows and break it up a little. I've tweaked the SSAO a tad, but I'm not sure it's enough. Any thoughts?
  • theStoff
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    theStoff greentooth
    This is looking great. I really like the vibrant colors and overall lighting. One thing that bothers me a bit though is the noise on the wall. It seems a bit overly dark and intense which is a bit distracting. You could maybe have some more areas of rest and lighten it up a bit.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update 2/22:

Trying to get this wrapped up and need some crits. I made some subtle tweaks to most of the textures and lighting and added a few clutter meshes. Any/all feedback is greatly appreciated! :)

kosh_fotsirk: Good call, I think it looks much better.

TD_glam_140222.jpg

TD_bike_140222.jpg

TD_boxAndKocker_140222.jpg

TD_ivy_140222.jpg
  • Jerc
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc interpolator
    The wall and pipes look much better. You may want to add a stronger normal map on the edges of the ground tiles, or some subtle parallax effect to make the ground look a bit less flat.
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    I like the walls and such, the sign with the building number could use some dirtiness, just a bit, its too white currently and stands out too much. That mail box currently is completely rusted over yet the keyhole looks like there is nothing wrong with it. I'd add some tarnishing to it. Theres also that the mailbox being that rusted should have some holes in it, but if thats not the kind of damage you are going for, i'd pull back the rust and make it rusted in patches more than the whole thing.

I guess my main issue is that there are some heavily aged areas, and some that aren't that kind of break the look of it. like the archway, the rest of the walls around it have damage, but that archway looks perfect, no damage what-so-ever. And the ivy seems like it is coming from no where. I also feel like the shadows (on the left side) seem too dark. but that could just be me.

For the archway, I would suggest at least doing some light wear on it. For the keyhole on the mailbox, if you leave the mailbox that damaged, just add some discoloration, not much, just a bit.

Hopefully this helps and doesn't get confusing.
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Jerc: Sounds good. Btw, the 4.1 update to Substance is great! Especially the UI improvements to comments and gradients. This is my first project with Substance and I'm really loving the tool!

luge: Not confusing at all, thanks for being so thorough! Italy is an interesting place architecturally because it's very old but functioning elements have to be maintained. It's not uncommon to see entryways that are noticeably newer than the rest of the building because they have to be structurally sound. Likewise with the address numbers which have to be readable or replaced locks on old mailboxes.

I definitely see what you mean about the overall balance of the scene though. I think I'll tone back the exposed brick slightly, reduce the rust on the mailbox, increase the rust and water stains on the arch, and insinuate the source of the ivy a bit more.

Great stuff guys, thank you very much!
  • luge
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    luge polycounter lvl 4
    your welcome, gonna be comin by and checking it when i can. wish you luck and can't wait to see more iterations :D
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Update 2/24:

- Brought out the stains on the arch a bit more.
    - Pulled back the rust on the mailbox slightly. (It gets lost in its own occlusion if pulled back too far.)
    - Added a slight parallax effect to the ground.
    - Made the source of the ivy more obvious.
    - Reduced the exposed brick on the wall.
    - Warmed the lighting.

This will probably be my final version, but feedback is always welcome and greatly appreciated. Thanks again for everyone's crits so far!

TD_glam_140224.jpg
  • killazzz
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey Equanim!
    This is looking very nice so far.
    I do however have some feedback/critiques for you to take this the rest of the way!
    First, i'd define your materials better, for instance the pipe on the right and the street light on the left should read more metal like, right now they both have no specular difference to everything else in the scene, make them read more "Shiny" as metal usually does, with that being said, id also put some time aside to revamp your bicycle as its coming across very generic and could be a kickass portfolio piece with a bit more work into it. Just think about pushing all the metal/steel elements in there specularity.
    I think all the concrete is nice and crisp and reading well, you could however add more edge grunge, (dirt/dust in crevices/creases) and also I think you could do without that dripping detail on your doors, doesnt feel natural.
    The vines are reading nice and organic how you have them draping down, id recommend lowering the saturation and also making them read more leaf-like in the material.
    My only problem would have to be the floor brick, its far to clean and uniform.
    Hope that helps! keep at it!
    -Killaz
  • Equanim
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Calling this one finished. There are still a few areas that bother me but at this point but I'm starting to see diminishing returns on my knit picks. Time for something new!

TD_glam_hiRes.jpg

Thanks again to everyone who gave me feedback, it was really beneficial. As I said earlier in the thread, one of my objectives with this project was to teach myself Substance. Every asset was filtered through it to one degree or another so, for the sake of anyone else who's learning, I thought I'd post a couple of graphs...

The first is for the concrete that's used for the arch itself and the base of the lamp post. It accepts three masks, one for red and green stains that age the surface, and a third that "chips" away at it. (Click to view it at full size.)
    graph_concrete.jpg

The second was used for the ground. It passes slightly different colored/randomized noise through a multi-material blend node and then uses a few greyscale masks (either hand painted or generated within Substance) to add and tweak things like normals, weathering, and sand.
    graph_ground.jpg

And these are the results...
    textures_2.jpg

The substance for the wall was two graphs combined into a third, so I wont post graphics for that one. It basically takes a tileable stone wall texture that I made in ZBrush and Photoshop and puts a layer of stucco, generated entirely within Substance, on top of it. The graph was set up in such a way that when people suggested pulling back the damage on the wall, all I had to do was play with a single Levels node and Substance would change colors, noise, depth, and how much brick was exposed.

If anyone's on the fence about this tool, it's definitely worth at least trying.

Again, thank you to everyone who gave me feedback! I'm always open to more critiques if anyone's got them!
  • chrisavigni
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    chrisavigni polycounter lvl 12
    What a beautiful scene and great use of substance!