Home Unreal Engine

cascade question - sprite origin

cw
polycounter lvl 17
Offline / Send Message
cw polycounter lvl 17
Hi folks,

I've been a-googling, but I have had little luck. Is there a way to set the particle sprite's origin to be not the centre?

If there is no way to do this in cascade itself I could try something in the vertex shader but i'm not overly optimistic.

I ca work around it but I thought maybe one of you folks would know the answer offhand. :)

Replies

• |*BILLY$CLINT*|
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    |*BILLY$CLINT*| polycounter lvl 11
    Have you tried the initial location node in Cascade? This node will allow you to offset the VFX to any position you want.
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Hey thanks, but what I mean is to be able to rotate a sprite around its corner rather than its centre. The workaround is just to have loads more overdraw I guess. :/
  • Shift`
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    This can be done with an Orbit and a Initial RotRate.
    Example: OQn0H7O.png

You set the orbit to have matching Max and Min, on Offset and Rotation, use the Initial RotRate as a negative version of the Orbit's Rotation to keep the sprite from 'moving'. Keep in mind that this is really just an illusion and if you were to look at it from the side it is a much different effect.

The example above has the following stats:

Orbit:
    Offset Max and Min: X=0,Y=20,Z=0
    Rotation Max and Min: X=1, Y=0, Z=0
    Rotation Rate: X=1, Y=0, Z=0

Initial RotRate
    Rotation Max and Min: -1
  • tharle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tharle polycounter lvl 9
    if you're after a pivot offset in cascade the short answer is no, you can't iirc. you can make something in the texture, like you said, using a dynamic parameter and plugging it into the time input of a panner node to move the texture within the sprite but it does create more overdraw. (remember to set the texture to clamp UV rather than tile so you dont get wrapping)
  • cw
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    cw polycounter lvl 17
    Thanks for all the infos guys. :) Much appreciated.