Harumph.

/stormaway

/devouring pity chocolate
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Tits wrote: »
    By the way I got a lot of message about how I felt about this League of legends contest starting just as I am finishing up jinx,
    This pretty much sums it up
    tumblr_n8kkt9Rg3b1tfq6umo1_400.gif

WlGFk10.gif
  • Gannon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Gannon interpolator
    Hahaha, As soon as I started to think it was a LoL comp I immediately got that feeling of oooooohh sssshhhhiiiiiiittttt.... just because I remembered how awesome this was turning out. I can't wait to see the final! Looking forward to what you end up doing if you decide to entire the LoL comp!
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    I cant wait to see the full shots of her posed :D
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Yeah. Your jinx was the first thing i though about when i red about the contest. But you know. Second time always turns out better =p so just make her again when you are done with this haha :)
  • Cheeky_Pickle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Cheeky_Pickle polycounter lvl 9
    @almighty_gir Aw no haha! Are you going to join in with a new character? This is amazing, sassy pose is sassy!
  • VoidValkon
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    VoidValkon polycounter lvl 2
    Good work until now, would maybe give her some kind of maniac laugh to show her character but it looks pretty good so far ;)
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    daaaaamn!
    Finally, I'm done with the bake, still have some little tweaks to do there and there but... Yes! My nightmare is over.
    I knew hard surface was hard but damn, I now have an even stronger respect for you guys that do that kind of stuff, baking that shit wasn't easy or fun!
    Thank you so much to all the very kind artist that took some time to help me out with my bake, especially on the hangout recently, you will recognize yourselt, thank you!
    I'm happy to finally be back in my confort zone, will be texturing that big fish, I can't wait to finally get jinx smiling!
    Gannon Thank you!
    Unfortunatly I do not think I will have the time to enter the contest, but that's okay, i'll give you guys a little break of me :) Very excited to see all the entry!
    Kend Thank you! I can't wait to see her with that crazy smile myself! will try to make her look cool
    Iotet Haha damn I wish I had enough time to remake her for the contest but I don't think so, I'm sure somebody else will do something crazy cool with jinx tho!
    VoidValkon Oh yah, I haven't forgot about that classis maniac laugh of jinx, Working on it! Thank you!

gB7IT6Q.jpg
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Ok guys!
    I need your opinion here.
    I'm currently working on Fishbones and I'm kinda in a dilema right now.
    Since my jinx character is very ''clean'' very simple texture, not realistic, no noisy textures and details, I was going for kind of a hand painted, glossy and cartoony fishones
    Ref : LzfNzPl.png (real prop by volpin props for the curious)
    so it would give me something similar to that look (texturing is not done obviously)<ti2QvPA.png

My boyfriend told me he didn't really like that look, that he was hoping for something a bit more ''rough'', detailed and dirty with more of a realistic painted metail shader.
    I'm sure unsure that it would fit with my character very well (opinion?)
    Ref : 5F3lLsM.png this is the actual model from the ''get jinxed'' video. So as you can see, rougher texturing, detailed etc.
    More metallic shader etc (its not detailed or anything yet)
    DTnq2Sj.png

What is your opinion on that guys?
    In need your input!
  • slosh
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    I think something in between would be perfect. A little grime and damage here and there subtly. Clean it just looks unfinished IMO. But the image of the gritty one is a bit much...so go for something in the middle.
  • ysalex
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ysalex interpolator
    I agree with the more metal version with the noise, but you've made good choices so far so I'm not going to bet against you.
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Thanks Slosh and Ysalex
    I was thinking I would add a bit og damage/work on the gloss/spec no matter what I gp for I think. DO you guys like the metal or more cartoon version when it come to the shader?
  • AlexM79
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I agree with doing more metalic look. Maybe not as harsh as show on the original image from video.
    Do play with the spec/gloss on specific areas, cause now it looks more like leather then metal (gloss/spec is to much overall the same) + some worn out edges (lighter colour of the base colour) can do magic when it comes to metal (nicely seen on the teeth of the original image).
    Stay close to the "cartoonic" look like the female model is, but try keeping away from doing it 2 cartoony or 2 realistic.
  • danpaz3d
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    danpaz3d polycounter lvl 7
    Amazing work so far, looking very nice and clean!

Agree with above comments, go for a cleanish damaged look. Not like the concept shown, thats too much. I like the values you've chosen for the gun, hue needs some work though. I think it'll suit more if the blue was the same color as her hair and if the black was just a little bit brighter. Less metallic would be better too imo.
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    In nearly all the art Fishbones is made of dull metal with a slight touch of purple (more into blue, really). Your colors right now are too bright and it is certainly too clean.

I'd say the middle ground is best. Some burn stains on the jaw from the rockets, some missing paint from where she regularly would drop it on her shoulder and a bit of color correction. Less shiny metal.

Hope it helps :)
  • tigerheart
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    tigerheart polycounter lvl 9
    Hard to say imo, the first one tend to look like a toy and it seems weird to me... but it add to jinx's crazyness like the joker's toy. I like the render of the second one, it look more dangerous, but like other said, some kind of damaged painted metallic would look awesome.
    Can't wait for a new screen background ^^
  • Bek
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bek interpolator
    I've no idea of the lore of the game, but perhaps you could have the base (critical) parts of the weapon clean and more manufactured looking, while having the 'extra' parts such as the shark fin, teeth, and other bits that seem tacked on look more... homemade / rough.

Or yeah what Slosh said.
  • Dantert
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dantert polycounter lvl 10
    I think the rough style will work great on her! I was going to make the same crit about it. I was expecting even some little detail like melted metal welds since I guess it will be seen up close but since you have already baked it maybe it's something achevable by texturing it. The only part that really doesn't look right to me is the line on the base of the dorsal finn, it could be just a piece attached on top but...I don't know it bothers me...it interrupts the flow of the shapes too much
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Everyone seams to be leaning toward the realistic one, and though I have to agree I hope you dont go overboard with it. I would still try to keep that clean look in the sculpt but maybe try working the materials a bot more realistic.

Right now I think the purple color in the metal is way to strong, just changing that to a more realistic looking metal might do it honestly.
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Thanks for all the help and suggestion guys!
    Did a lot of test cause I wasn't too sure where I was going with this and
    I'm not really use to texture that kind of stuff also.
    I decided to go like some have suggested with more of a blue-cyan tint since I felt like the original purple tint of fishbone really wasn't matching the color palette of the character (wich is way more pink and cyan)

Still looking forward to hear you opinion and suggestions :)
    jEhe4Sy.png

Nest to jinx to see the color palette :)
    IwCgTnD.png
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    Maybe the muzzle of Fishbones could use some exaggerated black soot?
  • AbKI
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    AbKI polycounter lvl 6
    That looks awesome! You keep pushing this further and further just when I think it can't get any better. I really like the blue, it goes with her hair. ^_^

The weapon does look a little bit samey along its length though, but I can't put my finger on why.

Maybe it's because of the fairly similar coloured materials or because there's lots of really parallel straight lines, whereas in the ref example even along the straight lines they're a little wonky and curved. Maybe some bigger dents or wonkiness could be worth a try?
  • lotet
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    Oh yes! your killing it!

I would go with less dirt and wear though, atleast the way its looking now.

right now you have a basic dirt pass over the whole thing, which I dont think fits the style you are going for.

I would suggest a more focused approach, like doing soot at the muzzle as suggested by Panda, and maybe some collected dirt in the scratches, but keep the bigger flat shapes clean.
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Thanks guys very much for all the crits and help through this (sometimes) painfull process hehe.
    I think I'm gonna call fishbones done, I learned a lot from it.
    I dunno if you gonna like the texturing but I think it now kinda fit without going too over the top with the details etc.
    I'm really excited to start working on the beautyshot and pose. I'm trying to find something real cool to do!

6x9d1fA.jpg
  • Kend
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Kend greentooth
    Im loving the look of the weapon, excellent balance of the stylised look of league but also with that concept you posted, CANT WAIT FOR THE BEAUTY POSE!! I hope your giving her that crazy smile :D
  • jhoythottle
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    jhoythottle polycounter lvl 7
    Such an awesome thread. Nice work!
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Here you go.
    Thanks to all of you again for following the thread.
    It's my last time spamming you with screenshots.
    Might do a turntable later but that's it :)
    vfWUDic.jpg
    AbgDttt.jpg
    idccuqt.jpg
    1e3G0uK.jpg
    ol7Ne7J.jpg
    (Yep the rockets are just straight turbosmoothed model, I was just using them for the screenshots, it's the only part that I did not do ''low rez'' model for )
  • erroldynamic
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    erroldynamic polycounter lvl 18
    Sooo awesome!!!
  • Mrskullface
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Nice Work!!! I hope I'm not messing up your vision of Jinx but I felt the eyes looked a tiny bit off from the rest of the faces expression. I assume when someone is smiling hard they will have a squint under their eyes from their cheek meat pushing upward. So i just added that tiny bit. dont know if it helps. Great work regardless.

jinx-eye-jonah.jpg
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    I assume when someone is smiling hard they will have a squint under their eyes from their cheek meat pushing upward. So i just added that tiny bit. dont know if it helps. Great work regardless.

I agree for ''normal'' people, I don't think of jinx that way :P
    zsvbpj.jpg
  • Xaragoth
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    That turned out really well <3

I agree that her expression needs a bit of work to look more Jinx-like.
  • Neox
    Options
    Online / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    if you want the mad jinx look to come through more, take care of the natural smile first and then raise her upper lids more. right now the expression looks fake, not madshit crazy, just not convincable.
    For facial expressions i would say get a mirror, look at the changes on all parts of your face.
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    That's all for the really good critic.
    I'm not planning on going back to fix anything since I've been working on this for way too long now but I'm all keeping this in mind for my next project.
    I haven't had much chance practicing facial expression so far and I'm definitly planning on getting more now!
  • Brian "Panda" Choi
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Brian "Panda" Choi high dynamic range
    I dig it. ONly qualms about the beauty shot is I wish it was a tad on the warm side, like a creamy sunset. Filled with explosions. Get all Michael Bay up in hee-ah!
  • garriola83
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    garriola83 greentooth
    Good job, Marie!
  • Shiniku
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Shiniku polycounter lvl 9
    Turned out fantastic! Nice work
  • Bao92
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Bao92 polycounter lvl 9
    I'm not planning on going back to fix anything since I've been working on this for way too long now but I'm all keeping this in mind for my next project.
    I haven't had much chance practicing facial expression so far and I'm definitly planning on getting more now!

Really nice work! I know how you feel.. working on a piece a really long time and you just want to finish it. But considering the time you already spent on this maybe you might want to work a bit further on the expression. Nonetheless it is already a really awesome piece that you have! Congratulations. Cheers
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master

Can i make the suggestion that your next personal piece isn't a full character then, but instead it's a head that you can have someone rig, and you can practice facial expressions with?
  • LRoy
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    LRoy polycounter lvl 10
    This turned out awesome. Your improvement over the past year is crazy.
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    JadeEyePandaThank you! I did try different lighting before with some warmer tone, wich also looked interesting. I just felt like it was better to keep a continuity with the other shots of Jinx I had done before wich had colder lighting.

Shiniku & garriola83 Thank you!

Bao93 Yah it's definitly a way to see it! At some point I just feel like I have passed a long time on a character and learned what I wanted to learn from it and so I usually stop nick picking so much. I always take notes of those things tho so I can set myself some clear objective to improve those flaws on my next piece.

almighty_gir That's an idea! It's just an old habit of mine to always (or almost!) finish everything I start. I see so many student with an impressive number of great bust sculpt/model but no full character. It never has the same impact. It's also very hard for me to get a perfect rig to do that kind of stuff.

LRoy Thank you!!
  • ZippZopp
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    ZippZopp polycounter lvl 12
    I was watching the progress on this and you finished it very well. Congrats on a solid final piece
  • zitherhuxley
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    I love her facial expressions! It reminds me of the shit-eating smile of Tank Girl right before she kicks someone's butt! She's got a wildness to her that reminds me of a female version of Lobo! I would definitely follow that girl in an apocalypse. :D
  • Tits
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    zitherhuxley Thanks man, just saw your comments today. I love the design of Tank girl myself so I'm very happy my work could remind you of tank girl!