Since everybody's doing it:

jinx_po.gif

Second this. Looks nice.

.... Are we taking over this O o?
    If so, sorry Tits.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Hahaha it's the paintover fest over here!
    Kinda like the one you did two listen haha. Will try to work more some more on the face tonight again :)
  • unit187
    Offline / Send Message
    unit187 polycounter lvl 9
    Tits wrote: »
    Hahaha it's the paintover fest over here!
    it's just everybody loves Jinx :poly124:
  • heboltz3
    Offline / Send Message
    heboltz3 polycounter lvl 9
    Oh man! This is going to be some good stuff, subbin to this bad boy to learn as I watch :D

Sweet work so far Tits!
  • katana
    Offline / Send Message
    katana polycounter lvl 14
    Paintover's aside, I think you've done a great job and should move on to the LP and texturing.
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    looking good so far :) just a suggestion on the body, if you smooth out the transitions it might look a bit more natural, using forms instead of cut ins to define the anatomy, gives more size to the delts aswell

marie_jinx_paintover2.gif
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    unit187 gotta love Jinx!
    heboltz3 Glad you're enjoying the thread, thanks!
    katana Haha I'm always taking my time when doing stuff at home :) it's a change from work! Still need some parts to be done and a whole lot of polishing work but will get there!
    crazyfool Thanks for your paintover once again! always helpfull!

Sooooo I know I'm gonna disapoint some people but I did go back into an older iteration of the face. I know some of you guys didn't think it looked like Jinx enough but I couldn't lie to myself, I was really not satisfied with the new face and it was really bugging me. I did some work on it tho and I will come back on it some more.
    Sorry to disapoint if I do, Always love to follow your critics but at the same time I have to like my character and I was not liking her at all with the latest corrections..
    Anyway!
    Quick update, started working on those booootssss
    Y5gYjAT.jpg
  • Two Listen
    Offline / Send Message
    Two Listen polycount sponsor
    Tits wrote: »
    Sooooo I know I'm gonna disapoint some people but I did go back into an older iteration of the face. I know some of you guys didn't think it looked like Jinx enough but I couldn't lie to myself, I was really not satisfied with the new face and it was really bugging me.

Actually to be straight with you, I preferred the face before your last update as well. I just didn't want to paintover what wasn't your latest point of progress. The last one seemed more jaw/cheek heavy, eyebrows seemed a little forced into the "evil" pose, etc. Glad you jumped back to the older one, as even if you do changes, I think they won't need to be as drastic.

Look forward to seeing some textures, it's coming along nicely. :)
  • crazyfool
    Offline / Send Message
    crazyfool polycounter lvl 13
    looks fantastic :) good call on the face
  • Abrvpt
    Offline / Send Message
    Abrvpt polycounter lvl 4
    Looking good ! But even if she's stylised, her legs are rrrrrreeeeaaaally long... 2 to 5% shorter might be nice... just my 2 cents though.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Two Listen Thanks man, I realised maybe she's a bit different from what usually come to mind when we think of Jinx But I was just very not satisfied with the latest iteration so I'd rather bring her back to a place where I could be happy or proud of my work instead of keeping her like that to make someone happy. (but apparently I'm not the only one that like the older face better haha!) I'm sure that with a good morpher I'll get that crazy look and that smile out of her no matter what!

crazyfool Cheers man, glad you like it, thanks a lot for the help on that face. Really liked your paintover but I really couldn't get the 3d to represent it in a satisfying way.

Abrvpt yeah I had that impression too but I just checked her proportion compared to the Loomis one for a 8 head tall character

She is actually 8 head tall too and the only thing that doesn't fit is her pubis wich is about 1/4 of a head higher that it should be. I think the impression is very exagerated by how tiny her shorts are.
    KWFboGMjpg
    In the end I know I could fix it But I feel like those kind of charm bring her in a more ''normal'' mold and I'm really trying to go for a over the top look and bringing her to those normal standard IMHO would just make her more generic. I might be wrong to! I really like the very tall- infinite leg style. Plus ingame her stand is often with the leg very far apart and with the knee bend, I feel like it's gonna give a cool look with those super long leg!
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Small update again!
    Getting closer and closer to the final result.
    Realized I really dislike what I have going over the back of the boots, Gonna fix those.
    53sfnqc.jpg
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    looks really good, still think the arms are a bit short, I know your going for the long leg look but still,
    they barely reach the hip.
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    I think that the long legs can work it's just looking kinda funky right now. I think if the shorten the legs a bit and move the upper body down ( to shorten the torso) it will help a lot. Also raise the hip area a bit. I did a paintover because this thread is filled with em and I think this stuff is more convincing when you can see it.

9GERYAq.jpg
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    lotet I don't know if it really show because I lowered the upper body down a bit but I did make the arm a tad longer, sometimes it's hard to have good reference point when they are bent a bit. Hope it's better now!
    stevston89 Thanks for the input! Maybe it's all in my head but I do think she doesn't look as gigentic as I wish in your paintover so I did not make the leg shorter but I did lower the middle body section so that the center of her body is at the crotch. Hope it's still help with the fact that her legs looked funky to you haha!

I'm wondering if I'm calling this done and moving on unto the low rez and texturing,
    what do you guys think?
    LEpiYG0.jpg
    fdwGjkr.jpg
  • ClusterOne
    Offline / Send Message
    ClusterOne polycounter lvl 4
    In terms of technicality, I think your sculpt is amazing. I'll add my two cents if you don't mind though. The nose looks too uniform from the tip to the nasion, looks like it needs more emphasis on the nostrils to balance it out. Also, the transition between the root and the nasion seems a bit hard, it could probably use some smoothing. I would also bring the tear duct down a bit, looks a little bit too high-set for Jinx if you ask me.

That's just my opinion. Nice job and I can't wait to see the fully textured model :)
  • Dan!
    Offline / Send Message
    Dan! polycounter lvl 6
    Great job, very well done.
  • Scythe
    Offline / Send Message
    Scythe greentooth
    weee those hair look amazing !
  • Iciban
    Offline / Send Message
    Iciban polycounter lvl 10
    how did you do the tiny detail for the hair, small individual pieces? Just sculpted?
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    ClusterOne I did touch up the nose but just a little bit, I would be surprise it's even noticeable in the render to be honest haha! Thanks for the crits!

Dan! Thanks!! Glad you liked it!

Scythe yeeeeeeeeaaaah!!! hair!

Iciban Just modelled small strip of polygone in max, add a shell modifier and place it around/transpose/move it in zbrush and then subdividing it. For the ones in the hair I still had my old basemesh from max that was made with a twist modifier so I just selected an edge loop, make a spline out of it and then convert it into polygones, voila!!

Final sculpt because it's time to move on YEAH
    Hope you guy like it,
    can't wait for the texturing!!
    Those were made in keyshot BOOM
    8MiNSAr.jpg
    Bbl8Zc5.jpg
    MXqdLyu.jpg
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    looks freaking awezome! love the renders, Face turned out great, cant wait for the textures! what style are you going for? classic hand painted or is Ellie getting a friend?
  • Nefarius24
    Offline / Send Message
    Nefarius24 polycounter lvl 6
    This turned out fantastic! I can't wait to see the textures! :D
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    This looks sharp! How come you didn't participate in the comicon challenge. Thought for sure you would be in on that...
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Iotet Thanks man! Style wise well No matter what I do I always go hand painted (even for ellie) so that's what I will do for Jinx too. Tho she is obviously way more stylized than Ellie so the texturing will be more simplistic, nice bright color, not too noisy etc :)

Nefarius24 Thanks! I'm on it but i've just been so god damn busy recently :), Need to get back into buisiness soon!

slosh Thanks! Yah I first wanted to take part of the challenge but I don't really know much about comic, wasn't sure what to go for but really I just decided not to take part of it because I knew I was probably not gonna be able to enter those deadlines. I'm not the fastest artist and with full time work you never know how much time you'll get to work on this, and when the contest started I was still in my christmas vacation out of town and without a computer... Maybe next year, you never know!
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    I'm not slacking off (Yah totally was) working hard on Jinx's topology!!
    Lack of update is due to me moving (again!). I'm relocating to Montreal but I should be all setup next week, yay. Will be back to real business then :)
    Cheers!

sZJ8LNA.jpg
  • Wendy de Boer
    Offline / Send Message
    Wendy de Boer interpolator
    She's coming along nicely! I'm very curious to see how you will do the texture, and I'm looking forward to see her posed. :)
  • PyrZern
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12
    Have fun moving. And yes, I would love to see how you will do the texture. Also, her skin :)
  • crowhorn52
    I just found this after being out of action for a while and OH EM GEE. This looks amazing. I play League a lot and this is such a great rendition!

If you ever need a rigger for this you hit me up! Will keep watching this. Can't wait to see the textures!!
  • chudork
    Offline / Send Message
    chudork polycounter lvl 8
    really great work, loved your ellie model :D, cant wait to see this :D
  • Quasar
    Offline / Send Message
    Quasar polycounter lvl 19
    Looking good so far!

Regarding the topology, I would recommend building her top straps into her shoulder geo instead of floating them. It will make your job of weighting much less stressful. I learned this the hard way a number of times :) I would also like to suggest that you build her shoulders more like a bent cylinder for better deformation; sort of like this:

jinx_po.jpg

...And perhaps bend them out further to the 45° positon.

Keep up the good work!
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    DemonPrincess Thanks! I'll be most likely recording the texturing process so you'll be able to watch it if you are interested :)

PyrZern Haha I'm having absolutly no fun moving :P I'm living between boxes at the moment.. And yah like I said I will try to record the whole process. I'll share it on the thread for sure :)
    ESFGames Thanks man, glad you liked my previous work, will try not to disapoint with that one now haha!

crowhorn52 Hahaha thank you im happy you like it, I'm more of a dota 2 player but I really like Jinx's design!
    I'll probably ask the same rigger that did Ellie to do that one but I will keep you in mind if anything happen ;).

chudork thanks! glad you liked Ellie too!

Quasar Hey man, thanks for the topology tips. I did not change the topology as you might see. I didn't want the strap to be in the body mesh because I was not feeling the mesh looked very clean afterward, I might be causing pain to my rigger (Sorry!) I'll buy him some chocolate :P.
    When it comes to the shoulder I usually use the bent cylinder technique when the character has a shirt/clothing etc. When the body is nude I just can't make myself to do it that way for some reason, especially with such a high resolution character.
    I sure tend to the cylinder more when it come to lower rez, at least.
    Aaaand I hear you about the 45, I guess I'm really mean to my rigger once again, I think i started that way but I always feel it's a bit unatural and I tend to lower them in the process, bad bad me! Anyway, thanks for the precious advices :)

Anyway, small update, didn't do much cleaning yet, pretty much out of the oven :)
    can't wait to get back to her yeeeee

dQsPZLY.jpg
    uLX9YRX.jpg
    (yup she is super high rez, I'm going craaayyyyzzaaay)
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Very small update, pretty much done with the map cleaning, started to block some color!
    Can't wait to work on her some more but I'm moving tomorow nooooooo!!!

rPlOScu.jpg
  • Xaragoth
    Offline / Send Message
    Xaragoth polycounter lvl 8
    As someone who plays Jinx almost daily, I am quite in love with this thread. Looks amazing :D
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    man so much awesomeness Marie. good luck with moving :)

small crit though: I don't know if its the lighting but I think her jaw line is looking kind of soft. Jinx have a very sharp anime style jaw which I think isn't really that prominent, but again, might just be the angle and/or the lighting, I didn't notice it that much in your highpoly renders.
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Xaragoth yeeaaaaaah! Thanks!
    Iotet Thanks man!
    Yah dunno I feel like it might have been the lighting, about the jaw comment, tell me how you feel about it now :)
    small update, uploading a video soon :)
    M2YnhQp.jpg
  • stevston89
    Offline / Send Message
    stevston89 interpolator
    Can't believe I am saying this, but I think the eyes should be bigger... Also the lips look a bit thin/ sharp. It's shaping up nicely!
  • slosh
    Offline / Send Message
    slosh hero character
    Looks great so far. I don't know about making the eyes bigger but I do hope you give her crazy eyes by the end. Are you planning on doing her gun?
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    Texturing timelapse part 01 :) if anyone is interested

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XLvE30ORqyY"]Jinx Texturing timelapse part 01 - YouTube[/ame]
    stevston89 Bigger eyes? I'm not too sure I want to start changing proportions at this point but i'll consider it! When it come to the mouth Jinx does have a very thin mouth but the lipstick sure accentuate it maybe.
    slosh I will give her a crazy facial expression once she is rigged :) and yes I would like to make her guns at some point
  • killnpc
    Offline / Send Message
    killnpc polycounter
    her face is really coming together now. awesome subject, i love her design.
  • skylebones
    Offline / Send Message
    skylebones polycounter lvl 10
    That is really coming together nicely!
  • almighty_gir
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
  • Neox
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    the texture definitely helps a lot, i kept fearing that she would be too cute overall.

however - i agree qith quasar, and would also add that you should lift the arm overall for better deformation. now she is pretty much in one extreme of her range of movement. while raising the arm is to wave at somebody would be the other extreme - thats a whole lot of deformation. Depending on what you want to do a classical T pose would be best, but in most cases a relaxed T (45 degreeish) is my preferred way of doing it.
    So dependentent on what you want to do with your characters, you should keep that in mind. your shoulder setup would be good for any 3rd person shooter without much other movement but holding a rifle.
    While relaxed arms look cooler, they are less flexible the same would happen if you would have posed your hair into a nice flowing shape. It would be really tough to bend it to the opposite direction.
  • Dylan Brady
    Offline / Send Message
    Dylan Brady polycounter lvl 9
    Nice tits!
    fixed.

but srsly really great work marie!
  • ichidan
    Offline / Send Message
    ichidan polycounter lvl 12
    This is looking awesome! i love the proportions of the body, you got that down!
  • SladeDigital
    Offline / Send Message
    SladeDigital polycounter lvl 4
    Such an amazing work, i'm so lucky i got to see you work furthermore today!
    it's building out in such an outstanding way that my vocabulary just got smaller again.`

Anyways Marie, wonderfull work, and what you've developed today made it look even better
    can't wait to see this one finished!
  • Tits
    Offline / Send Message
    Tits mod
    killnpc thanks man, did really like her design too, she is real fun to do!

skylebones Thank you!

almighty_gir Thanks almigty guuuurl

Neox Well I think that Jinx in a neutral face probably looks ''cute'' overall, I really feel it's her crazy expression that brings her edgy look, at least I hope so.
    About the shoulder Yah, I looked throught my other work and I agree, I usually do not bring the arm as low as I did in that one. I just really liked the relax posed it give but I agree it's not the best for deformation. When I work in a studio the pose is usually fixed by someone and I follow it but when I work for myself maybe I take decisions that might not always be the one I would take in a real production.
    Thanks for reminder, sometimes I need one of those :P

Dylan Brady Hahaha gotta love that gif, glad you liked the character

Ichidan thanks man, I appreciate it :)

So another update here, we are still talking all diffuse-normal here,no spec or gloss yet. that will be my next step.
    I'm getting close to be done with the diffuse, just some more tweaks and details to add (but overall it's a very clean character, not trying to make a realistic-full of dirt and scratched version).
    Will upload the second part of the texturing timelapse soon.
    Hope you guys like it!
    rR00MTg.jpg

Edit, SladeDigital Hehe we both posted around the same time so I didn't see your message before I posted!
    Was really nice meeting you today in the hangout I'm sure will meet again out there. Don't worry about your english, I use to be in the same boat, it's all about practice. Very glad you liked my work and I'll keep following your progress!
  • jermaineb
    Offline / Send Message
    jermaineb polycounter lvl 13
    seems cool :P
    what number did you end up with topology wise?
  • ljsketch
    Offline / Send Message
    ljsketch polycounter lvl 6
    I love this one. Textures look amazing...especially the tats ;). Very nicely done!
  • lotet
    Offline / Send Message
    lotet hero character
    looks amazing, dont really got anything, face and jaw looks much better.

maybe not use the exact same color for the bullets as the belt buckets?