Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Taking a dump...

ngon master
Offline / Send Message
almighty_gir ngon master
Bunch of 1 hour (or less in the case of the last one) time lapse sculpts for a character i'm working on. will post more as i go, and probably just use this one thread to post anything i make in future instead of separate threads for everything.

that includes any tech stuff i work on, as i'm trying to learn to program as well =]

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=46lKZuX9-iU"]Timelapse 1 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vbRPXvaibI"]Timelapse 2 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_JZRkXLa8r4"]Timelapse 3 - YouTube[/ame]
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Was3FIBbJDE"]Timelapse 4 - YouTube[/ame]

The third video highlights some pretty strong lapses in my anatomical knowledge so i'm planning to do some studies of specific areas soon, too.

Replies

• almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master

got a chance to work on the clothes a bit, blocking out mostly, need to refine/detail.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master

Cleaned up the clothes and worked on defining them as separate materials.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    No feedback? nothing i could do better/more efficiently?

Here's a little update, made the greaves and added some straps to keep them on. need to do wrist-straps next. I also made the chest armour (going for the jedi version first) but unfortunately the video i recorded of the hard surface 3dsmax work didn't come out properly, i'll make sure it does next time!
  • MM
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    MM polycounter lvl 17

i would look into marvelous designer for all the cloth.

the days of hand sculpting cloth are limited. simple clothing like that could be done in lass than 30mins in MD.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    I have marvelous designer, i just wanted to do it by hand hehe. but yes, it would be more efficient =]
  • PyrZern
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    PyrZern polycounter lvl 12

Here's a little update, made the greaves and added some straps to keep them on. need to do wrist-straps next. I also made the chest armour (going for the jedi version first) but unfortunately the video i recorded of the hard surface 3dsmax work didn't come out properly, i'll make sure it does next time!

I was kinda lost how you got to that nice sharp edge. As far as I can tell, I don't see retopology/crease.
  • Stirls
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Stirls polycounter lvl 8
    I'm flawed by your anatomy sculpting, great stuff. Do you use reference on another monitor or from a book or something, or is this all from memory?

The fact you're protraying the character piece-by-piece (dynamesh is love, dynamesh is life) is something I could never dream of doing. (Just basemeshes for me thanks!)

I also disagree with MM for using Marvellous Designer for the cloth. It's a very stringent yet unyielding program which doesn't always achieve great results. Besides, sculpting cloth by hand has that very pretty "stylized" or "chiseled" look to it.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    PyrZern wrote: »
    I was kinda lost how you got to that nice sharp edge. As far as I can tell, I don't see retopology/crease.

yeah that's the part i did in max that unfortunately didn't record properly, i've sorted out my software for the next session though =]
  • Rolang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rolang interpolator
    Good stuff! I really like your cloth sculpting. :P Are you creating some Star Wars character?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Stirls wrote: »
    I'm flawed by your anatomy sculpting, great stuff. Do you use reference on another monitor or from a book or something, or is this all from memory?

The fact you're protraying the character piece-by-piece (dynamesh is love, dynamesh is life) is something I could never dream of doing. (Just basemeshes for me thanks!)

I also disagree with MM for using Marvellous Designer for the cloth. It's a very stringent yet unyielding program which doesn't always achieve great results. Besides, sculpting cloth by hand has that very pretty "stylized" or "chiseled" look to it.

I have the 3dtotal anatomy statue, but i'll be upgrading to the anatomytools one as soon as funds allow it =]

Marvelous Designer is actually incredible, i've achieved results with it that i could never accomplish by hand in the same amount of time i did with the software, but this was an exercise in following reference as much as anything else.
  • Torch
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Torch interpolator
    So is Marvelous designer worth learning? Just wondering if a lot of studios are using it now. I imagine if you can get good cloth results, or even a base to work with its worth doing so.
  • Neox
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Neox veteran polycounter
    Torch wrote: »
    So is Marvelous designer worth learning? Just wondering if a lot of studios are using it now. I imagine if you can get good cloth results, or even a base to work with its worth doing so.

Pretty much everyone is using it by now. A couple of years back almost no client knew. Now it is practically mandatory on realistic models. Usually instead of blockout > sculpt, the blockout now is done in MD a quick retopo pass inbetween. fixing some things and doing the detailling is the way to go. even besides its limitations (dont get me startet haha) it is a awesome tool
  • almighty_gir
  • mazz423
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    mazz423 polycounter lvl 9
    Nice progress Gir! Your anatomy knowledge is amazing, honestly it was like 1.. 2... tricep! I do have to second what people are saying about the cloth though, right now it's looking like the symptoms of sculpting on something that's initially too dense, which seems to be the case?

I'd say that primarily it's missing a lot of the low level folds that really form the main structure of the cloth, it feels mostly like higher level folds that have no real impact on the silhouette and aren't really linked together.

I hope you don't mind but I had a spare 30 minutes and decided to sculpt something up, would have been so difficult for me to explain what I'm on about without something to refer to.

vxlWk7a.gif

Please excuse the ghastly proportioned basemesh it's old :P

That's just my process, For arms I tend to start around the elbow, work down and then move back toward the shoulder, basically I like to go from the greatest points of tension and then use them as anchor points in order to influence the loosest areas which are more affected by gravity than anything else. It's by far not the best system around but it's what I'm most familiar with as it's more or less all I've done for the past 2 and a half years. Finally I'd say that the cloth would really benefit from a more concrete basemesh; as personally I find that solid edge flow really helps me speed up my sculpting and even guides me when I'm sculpting cloth.

Hopefully that helped in some way, I'm curious to see where you go with this, do you have a concept or sketch for this?
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    hey Mazz,

I didn't see that until just now but it's absolutely spot on. i think one of the biggest problems i've had with the cloth has been sculpting with dynamesh instead of a basemesh. It's a lesson learned for the future, for definite!
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    Current state of WIP'ness. Texturing in Substance Painter (beta) and rendered in Toolbag2:

9nRg55v.png
  • almighty_gir
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    5 hour full male sculpt.

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JHQqCXt3zBY"]Human Male - YouTube[/ame]
  • Rolang
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rolang interpolator
    Awesome work! You have clever way of creating hand and fingers, I need to try that technique too. :poly124: Thanks!
  • Zukan
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Zukan polycounter lvl 5
    Rolang wrote: »
    Awesome work! You have clever way of creating hand and fingers, I need to try that technique too. :poly124: Thanks!

Yeah I saw that too. I'm still a noobie and I'm not sure how that's done. Is the pointer finger it's own sub tool and he just duplicated it? Because it looks like it's part of the hand and I don't know how to duplicate just a section of a mesh in Zbrush.
  • almighty_gir
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    almighty_gir ngon master
    So everything was done with dynamesh. What i did for the fingers was mask out the area i needed, pull it out, work it until it felt stable, and then to duplicate it, i masked it and in the subtool rollout i hit "extract" and made sure the distance was set to zero, that creates a new subtool of just the masked area, which i then positioned, merged with the hand, and remeshed.