Home 3D Art Showcase & Critiques

Environment Terrain Textures...

polycounter lvl 10
Offline / Send Message
hewitt96 polycounter lvl 10
Hey everyone, here is a set of textures I made for use on terrain or for vertext painting as demo'ed. CC greatly appriciated. :)
_render_vertex_blend_demo_stills_ZBrushSculpt_rock.jpg
_render_vertex_blend_demo_stills_ZBrushSculpt_rock_small.jpg
_render_vertex_blend_demo_stills_ZBrushSculpt_sand.jpg
t_rock_test_TEXTURES_demo.jpg
t_rock_small_TEXTURES_demo.jpg
t_sand_TEXTURES_demo.jpg
_render_vertex_blend_demo_stills.jpg
VertexBlendingDemoMaterialEditor.jpg

And a short video:
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohvdeimTWgs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ohvdeimTWgs[/ame]

Thanks for watching! :)

Replies

• LANKUS MAXIMUS
    Nicely demonstrated. You have quite a unique texture style :)
  • Fwap
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Fwap polycounter lvl 13
  • hewitt96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
  • Der Hollander
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Ballin'. Any specific technique for the graphical style? It looks hand-painted but it's super precise and nice to look at, and the subtle photo textures are a really good touch.
  • Rai
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Rai polycounter lvl 15
    ^^ I'd also like to know
  • hewitt96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Thanks guys! I learned how to do some tiling texture creation in ZBrush from a former colleague at BioWare. Over the past few months, I've been working on a personal style for texturing and incorporated the ZBrush technique I learned. I also drew a ton of inspiration from the texture artists over at Naughty Dog. So basically my procedure is as follows.

I'll start with the ZBrush sculpt and bring this to a really high polish while trying to keep out 'micro detail' which typically shows up in the baked maps as noise. Once happy with the sculpt, I'll bake out all the maps like the normals, ambient occlusion, and displacement. I'll also at this point save out a few different MatCaps from Zbrush for use with texturing. Using the normal map channels and the photoshop filter emboss, I'll create a much better cavity map than running the normal map through Crazy Bump. For the next step, I'll switch over to Photoshop for texturing. I'll find a base that I like using the MatCaps and other baked maps like the cavity map created using the normal map and the ambient occlusion map. I'll use the various MatCaps and the AO map as layer masks for the one photo texture, hue shifts, and various other layer adjustments. I typically use only one photograph in any given texture. I'll run this photo through the Paint Danube or pallet knife filter and set the layer to overlay. I'll then turn the opacity for this layer down to something around 30%. At this point, I'll start using a rendering engine like UDK or Marmoset to fine tune the texture. If I'm going to add a bit more painterly flare to the texture, this is the point where I'll do some custom painting. Once satisfied with the diffuse, I'll move on to the secular and gloss maps; typically turning up the contrast in both.

So that pretty sums up my technique in words. If you guys/gals try something similar and have any questions let me know. I'll do my best to answer them. :)
  • JamieRIOT
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    JamieRIOT polycounter lvl 6
    Unique style, I really like it. It was cool to here you workflow for these, looking forward to more work from you.
  • Dubzski
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Dubzski polycounter lvl 11
    These look really nice man, i can see the influence of naughty dog shining through ^_^; i'm a big fan of sand textures they can be so hard to do but look awesome!

Would love to see these actually tiled + blended in a scene... sometimes they can look great as small square but discrepancies appear when put into a larger context.
  • Eric Chadwick
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    Hey cool stuff!

I noticed the Skydome With Lightning on your site. Do you have a video of this in motion? I'm sharing some techniques with my students, and would love to see what you came up with. Do you have a bigger shot of your network too?
  • hewitt96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dubzski: Thats exactly where I'm headed. :) I plan to use this tech in a larger more finished scene sometime in the near future. Just working on some pipeline stuff atm.

@ Eric Chadwick: Thanks for checking out the folio. Man, that was from back in school :). I'll see if have a moment soon to get that stuff up for you. :)
  • hewitt96
    Options
    Offline / Send Message
    @Dubzski Here yea go :) The art is pretty crude but it works. :)
    CloudsDemo.jpg
    And the Philosophy behind the material:
    CloudsDemoIMG.jpg